Marantz DV-12S2 Details?

Bails

Novice Member
Does anyone know anything about the Marantz DV-12S2 dvd player?

I assume the audio section is fine, but what video engine/deinterlacer does it use?

I had assumed that it was a Pioneer clone (like most Marantz players) but it seems to use a different video DAC (which may in fact be the one used in the Denon A-11). This is based on the observation that the Marantz uses a 216MHz/12 bit chip (like the Denon) but the Pioneer 868 uses a 216MHz/14 bit variant (or something like that).

Any details? The Marantz player certainly does look nice and would fit perfectly in my rack!

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
The DAC's are as you describe (from memory) and might be related to Texas Instruments units not Pioneer. Special output is DVI not HDMI, again suggesting it isn't a Pioneer related unit. It is a lovely piece of kit as well.

Bails

Novice Member
Interesting. I've just noticed however that a site selling multi-region mods for dvd players has included the dv-12s2 as a unit which will accept their generic pioneer mod. Now I'm thinking that it may in fact be based on a pioneer player, even if the video dacs are different.

Does anyone have any further info? I find it a bit disconcerting that Marantz does not provide information on the video components used. That is pretty standard info these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom