1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz Dolby EX Problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kit1cat, Aug 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I have noticed on my SR7400 when I use the Dolby EX setting with all speakers set to small that the volume of the low frequency's sent to the sub are about 4db higher then in the Dolby 5.1 mode, you can not compensate by lowering the sub volume because you will lower the LFE channel as well. I have only noticed this on dolby 5.1 discs run in Dolby Ex matrix mode, dts/dts es modes are fine.

Any one else noticed this in dolby ex mode? Is it a problem with the sr7400 or a quirk of dolby ex matrix decoding?

If I have all speakers set to large there is no problem, you can check this by switching speakers off and just listen to the sub and switching between dolby and dolby ex mode.

Barry

2. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I tried listening to a few music dvd's yesterday and noticed that the problem was not noticeable with all dvd's, with some the level appeared the same in Dolby 5.1 and in Dolby ex mode.

Any one have any idea's?

Barry

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    just guessing but it could be due to some sort of pro logic 2x decoding getting the surround backs, and the bass management may therefore change, ive never noticed it on my amp.