Marantz Dolby digital sounds quieter than Dts, why?

miremare2022

Novice Member
Hello

I have a Marantz NR1501.
i use a Panasonic dmp-bdt180 blu ray player.
i have a decent set of speakers.
its all connected with hdmi and generally im pleased with the Sound.

this is my question.
when i play any movie with DTS-hd soundtrack the marantz volume is sufficient at 39.
if i play a movie with Dolby digital Hd the marantz volume needs to be increased to 49.

its baffling me .
if i play a Dolby atmos movie through my system , the soundstage is better than Dolby digital hd.
any ideas

is it the blu ray player
is it the marantz av reciever
is it just the case that Dolby digital hd has a weaker SOUNDSTAGE

any thoughts please let e know

gibbsy

It's the nature of the beast. DTS has long been considered to be 'louder' than Dolby. That's why a lot of people prefer the upmixing mode of DTS Neural over Dolby Surround especially when it comes down to using speakers in the Atmos domain.

D

Deleted member 901590

In general, as Gibbsy says, it's always been like that as far as I can remember. One of my first DVDs was Gladiator and it had DD and DTS, most people generally preferred DTS viewing.

After numerous iterations, I find the same now if you compare an Atmos to DTS:X.

In my findings/opinion, it's not always a rule. Sometimes I've found the surround effects more realistic with Dolby and have preferred it overall to the DTS, it can depend on the film as well.

Problem is, as we all know, it's all about the source material and how it has been mixed/recorded too. There are some really bad Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks where the "older" DD, TrueHD, DTS or DTS-HD soundtracks sound better!

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Dolby has a feature called Dialogue Normalization (DialNorm). DTS doesn't. This typically leads to a ca. 4dB difference in level between DTS and Dolby. Some AVRs automatically apply -4dB to DTS to roughly compensate, most don't. [Review the link for the gory details].

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom