Marantz Conference - New AVR's for 2015

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andrew K, Jun 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Marantz launch new Dolby Atmos & DTS-X HDCP 2.2 Ready Receiver Range for 2015

We recently had the pleasure of attending the 2015 Denon & Marantz Dealer conference in Monte Carlo where we had our first glimpse of the new 2015 Marantz AV Receiver range. The new models SR5010, SR6010, SR7010 and NR1606 all feature Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and HDCP 2.2 compatibility.

Marantz SR5010 - £749 due September 2015

Marantz SR6010 - £899 due September 2015

Marantz SR7010 - £1399 due October 2015

Marantz NR1606 - £599 due September 2015

more details and pictures
    http://www.*/blog/marantz-launch-new-dolby-atmos-dts-x-hdcp-2-2-ready-receiver-range-for-2015/

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  2. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Wow. I was looking at the DTS-X replacement for 7009 for a dedicated room I'm planning in new house soon. 7009 currently available for <£850. Is the 7010 a direct replacement? Seems very expensive if it is. Makes me think picking up a 7009 now might be a good idea.
    I believe the 7009 is lined up with the Denon 4100 (could be wrong?). Do these prices mean the Marantz 70XX is no longer lined up with the Denon 4X00?

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    The SR7009 is a 9 channel receiver with the processing power to deal with 11 channels plus an LFE channel thus allowing you to add an external 2 channel power amp to give you the ability to run an 7.1.4 Atmos setup. The Denon AVRX4100 is a 9 channel receiver and limited to 10 channels of prcessing including the LFE channel.

The SR7010's price is about the same as that of the SR7009's srrp and the same as what the SR7009 was being sold for when it was originally launched.

The nearest Denon equivalent to the SR7010 is effectively the AVRX6200W (the AVRX5200W's replacement) although the AVRX6200W is in fact placed midway between the SR7010 and the Denon AVRX7200WA. Denon and Marantz are technically the same concern so tend not to market products that directly compete with one another. In the order of things, the Denon AVRX4xxx models and one tier below the Marantz SR7xxx models.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. rorbone

rorbone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi dante01- I've been reading a lot of your comments on this forum and have always been in agreement. Keep up the good work. I do have a question about the Marantz sr7009, will it Marantz allow it to receive a DTS:X upgrade. If not do you know why?

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    The SR7009 will not be getting a DTS:X update. I believe this is because its chipset wouldn't be adequate enough to deal with additional processing required by DTS:X?

6. rorbone

rorbone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks dante01. Slightly sad but as it is such s good receiver i have no desire to upgrade it. Ill hang on till they bring out blu ray players that can complete the processing.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    You'll not get players that perform the processing. It is not a channel based format so the receiver has to perform the decoding according to its own capabilities. THe object orientated formats use metadata to determine the movement of objects in relation to the location of speakers.

8. rorbone

rorbone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh okay, well in that instance I'm out of luck! Hmmm what would you do if you did not want to upgrade your Marantz SR7009 yet you wanted DTS:X? I would assume one will have to buy a new receiver or will we get an external processor (reasonable priced I prey) at some stage that you could connect using the pre outs/HDMI?

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    You're not going to be able to buy an external processor for less than you'd be paying for a DTS:X enabled receiver.

If you want DTS:X then you will not be able to continue to use the SR7009 and there's no way around having to replace it with a DTS:X enabled receiver. If you were to buy a DTS:X enable processor then you'd still have to then buy power amps to power your speakers with. An AV receiver integrates both the receiver and the processor within one box. Pre outs are for connecting external amplification and not to fascilitate the connection of an external processor. The processing has to be done by the receiver in accordance with that particular receivers capabilities.

I see no immediate need for you to get rid of your SR7009 anyway so stick with it until at least there's some DTS:X encoded content out there or until you need the HDMI version 2 and HDCP 2.2 capabilities associated with the new wave of receivers for UHD content.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  10. rorbone

rorbone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent advice! Will do. May I ask you another question about he Marantz SR7009. I've been battling to explain this to the Marantz techies but I want to be able to use the Atmos 7.1.4 config.

As I've read it one has to use the surround backs and an additional amp. I want to use the front heights along with the 4 Atmos enabled speakers that I have. I've read through the manual but it's not clear as day light. It seems that one can only use the surround backs along with the 4 atmos speakers (or ceiling speakers). I hope this makes sense.

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    You should be able to use front heights as part of a setup that also uses back speakers. What you cannot do is have more than 11 speakers active at any one time even if utilising an external 2 channel amp as part of the setup. I don't own the SR7009 so cannot guide you through how to configure it, but I do believe I've read instances where people have had an Atmos 7.1.4 configuration that uses two height speakers plus 2 ceiling speakers and the back speakers. Even if designating them as height speakers and locating them on a wall then they are still technically still two Atmos speakers. I believe both Denon and Marantz receivers allow the Atmos speakers to be catagorised as height speakers as opposed to ceiling speakers? It should also be said that using height speakers as opposed to ceiling speakers is a compromise and not as effective as using Atmos ceiling speakers. The back speakers will be active with any format that includes channels associated with them and their use is not restricted to Atmos.

12. rorbone

rorbone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks dante01. That sounds promising. Now I just need a pair of B&W M1.