Marantz Cinema AV Receiver Owners' Thread

Bought a Cinema 40. Seems a bit buggy. Crashed at the manual test tone screen and had to do a factory reset. It was on the latest firmware too. Working fine after the reset…

Hope it's all working good now 👍👍
Sadly no.

Everything else seems to work now (no crashes) other than the headphone jack. I've tried different headphones. The receiver can tell they're connected, as I it shows up correctly on the display and the output from the speakers stops; but no audio from the headphones. Interesting thing is, I can "hear" volume up and volume down commands, so "something" must be coming through the jack.

All of my other D&M units seem to manage headphones ok. Is there anything else I should be looking at before sending it back?

Can anybody else on the latest firmware test the headphone jack to see if you get any interesting results?

I've figured it out!

When you're running in processor mode. ie. you elect to switch off the internal amps; it switches off ALL of the amps, including the headphone amp! Doesn't make too much sense from a functionality perspective; but I guess it does what it says on the tin.

I've figured it out!

When you're running in processor mode. ie. you elect to switch off the internal amps; it switches off ALL of the amps, including the headphone amp! Doesn't make too much sense from a functionality perspective; but I guess it does what it says on the tin.

If you only use it as a Pre-Amp could you get around that by using the Speaker Connection option?

Last edited:
If you only use it as a Pre-Amp could you get around that by using the Speaker Connection option?

That’s the thing. I’ using a power amp to power my fronts. When I tell the Cinema 40 to do “pre-out only” for those channels; it shuts off not only the amplification for the relevant speakers; but also the headphone amp.

It’s no bother really to either (a) just run in “internal amps + pre out mode” in perpetuity; or (b) switch between the modes when I want to use my headphones.

Just a minor quirk of the operations. I might pop a suggestion over to D&M that the headphone being plugged in should obviously override whichever settings are set on amp assign.

That’s the thing. I’ using a power amp to power my fronts. When I tell the Cinema 40 to do “pre-out only” for those channels; it shuts off not only the amplification for the relevant speakers; but also the headphone amp.

It’s no bother really to either (a) just run in “internal amps + pre out mode” in perpetuity; or (b) switch between the modes when I want to use my headphones.

Just a minor quirk of the operations. I might pop a suggestion over to D&M that the headphone being plugged in should obviously override whichever settings are set on amp assign.
Oh, that's interesting.

I also use a power amp to run my LCR and Rears, and have them assigned to pre out for those channels.

Must confess I've never used the headphone output as I have a separate Hi-Fi system, so it would be interesting to read what the response from D&M is if you decide to contact them.

Maybe this might be resolved in a future update if you notify them?

Doh - I forgot to update this Thread when my PS5 came back!

I've been using it for a couple of days now and yes, it's tremendous. I'm currently playing the PS4 version of "Ratchet & Clank" and it's automatically boosted to HDR.

It's also in 4K and both the VRR and ALLM settings were automatically applied, too.

I've also been catching up with "The Orville" on disc and sound is warm, rich and powerful with great clarity and detail.

I don't regret not getting the Cinema 40 at all, the 50 is perfect for my needs and room size and is a clear upgrade from my previous SR7011.

Ah, I read it as though you were using the full Pre-Amp mode option. Perhaps it's a bug as it does seem a bit strange?

Ah, I read it as though you were using the full Pre-Amp mode option. Perhaps it's a bug as it does seem a bit strange?
Indeed. One would think that it’d be able to say “right, the headphones are plugged in; that takes precedence over all of my other settings; we can turn the headphone amp back on”.

Indeed. One would think that it’d be able to say “right, the headphones are plugged in; that takes precedence over all of my other settings; we can turn the headphone amp back on”.

I have the full service manual to the x3100 - I am no expert in reading wiring diagrams! But... I've just spent 5 minutes, following the path of the headphone socket backwards through the massive wiring diagrams. It looks to me like the headphone socket signals for L and R (called HPL and HPR) are switched on and off by the same relays that switch the FL and FR internal amplifiers on and off.

It being likely that your model is similar, this would explain what's going on. My guess would be that this is something the D&M engineers forgot about. :)

If you don't mind testing, it would be interesting if you switch the AVR to full pre-amp mode in AMP ASSIGN and see if it does the same thing (it should do if my theory is correct). That mode would also switch out the relay on those internal amps.

I have the full service manual to the x3100 - I am no expert in reading wiring diagrams! But... I've just spent 5 minutes, following the path of the headphone socket backwards through the massive wiring diagrams. It looks to me like the headphone socket signals for L and R (called HPL and HPR) are switched on and off by the same relays that switch the FL and FR internal amplifiers on and off.

It being likely that your model is similar, this would explain what's going on. My guess would be that this is something the D&M engineers forgot about. :)

If you don't mind testing, it would be interesting if you switch the AVR to full pre-amp mode in AMP ASSIGN and see if it does the same thing (it should do if my theory is correct). That mode would also switch out the relay on those internal amps.
Interesting; I'll try that tonight.

Is the cinema series a worthy upgrade sound wise from an SR7015?

Is the cinema series a worthy upgrade sound wise from an SR7015?
I can't answer that definitively, but what I can say is that it's a clear sound upgrade from my previous 7011 (a few iterations earlier than your model, I know).

Currently, the direct replacement for your 7015 would be the Cinema 40, but it is just so expensive at £2400*. I bought the 50 as I simply couldn't afford it and as the 50 is the equivalent of the previous 6 Series, I was concerned that it would seem underpowered in comparison, but it's just as rich and room-filling and, in my opinion, even sweeter-sounding.

It depends on what you're looking for - it still has that signature Marantz warmth and might tame some of the brightness of your Dali speakers. Do you actually own the receiver as you've not included it in your kit list?

I bought my Cinema 50 as I'd just treated myself to a PS5 and the 7011 didn't support all the different game picture enhancements, the sound improvement was just a bonus for me. I think it's also worth mentioning that I think they may have tweaked Audyssey XT32 because the calibration produced very different results, much more consistent and accurate.

The remote's nicer, too!:)

*The price has dropped:

Peter Tyson offer trade-in on old equipment, too.

Last edited:
I can't answer that definitively, but what I can say is that it's a clear sound upgrade from my previous 7011 (a few iterations earlier than your model, I know).

Currently, the direct replacement for your 7015 would be the Cinema 40, but it is just so expensive at £2400*. I bought the 50 as I simply couldn't afford it and as the 50 is the equivalent of the previous 6 Series, I was concerned that it would seem underpowered in comparison, but it's just as rich and room-filling and, in my opinion, even sweeter-sounding.

It depends on what you're looking for - it still has that signature Marantz warmth and might tame some of the brightness of your Dali speakers. Do you actually own the receiver as you've not included it in your kit list?

I bought my Cinema 50 as I'd just treated myself to a PS5 and the 7011 didn't support all the different game picture enhancements, the sound improvement was just a bonus for me. I think it's also worth mentioning that I think they may have tweaked Audyssey XT32 because the calibration produced very different results, much more consistent and accurate.

The remote's nicer, too!:)

*The price has dropped:

Peter Tyson offer trade-in on old equipment, too.

I reallllllllyyyyy want to upgrade and the SR7015 is £999 compare to £1400-£1700 for the Cinema 50. Is the 40 worth half as much more, just for the latest tech?

I reallllllllyyyyy want to upgrade and the SR7015 is £999 compare to £1400-£1700 for the Cinema 50. Is the 40 worth half as much more, just for the latest tech?
Ahh, I see - you're asking us what to choose between the 7015 or the Cinema Series, and the 50 or the 40?

Well, in my opinion, there are technical differences between the 50 and the 40 (more power in the latter, for a start), but I think the 50 hits the sweet spot in terms of meeting most users' needs in an average-sized space (my room is 15' x 10') for the price.

I'm not saying the 40 is overkill, but I do think you need to have certain applications in place, or deep pockets, to justify its purchase over the 50. I mean, it's likely to have a similar sound signature and perhaps it will have better control at high volumes thanks to the extra power, but there's no way to know without a direct A-B comparison.

As I've said, I have upgraded but also downgraded too, as the 50 is a replacement for the previous 6 Series, not the 7. But the new amp still sounds better and doesn't struggle nor lose composure at high volumes at all.

As for whether you should get a 7015 or a Cinema 50 - obviously, I am biased, but I do think it's worth buying the new model over the old not just because it's the latest thing, but because it does offer tangible improvements and is a clear progression.

Having said that, if money is tight or you're on a fixed budget, then get the 7015 as I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. But if you can afford it, I wouldn't hesistate to get the Cinema 50 as it is better in just about every way.

Just following on from Derek’s post.

• Cinema 40 is designed and manufactured at their prestigious factory in Japan, a.k.a. Shirakawa Audio Works, same as the SR8015, while the Cinema 50 is manufactured in Vietnam.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes higher grade audio components and design. (IE. HDAM-SA2 improve version similar to the SR8015).
  • Cinema 40 has a more powerful EI core transformer, audio capacitor and higher rated power 125wpc vs 110wpc of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes monolithic amplifier construction, meaning each amplifier channel comes with its own amplifier PCB, instead of one single amplifier PCB for all channels providing better performance against crosstalk and vibration.
  • Cinema 40 incorporates more acoustic treatment for audio tuning, copper screws on the back panel, etc.
  • Cinema 40 employs 7 HDMI inputs vs. 6 HDMI inputs of Cinema 50 (All inputs support up to 8K40, 4K120 on both models).
  • Aluminum and a large trap door design (face plate) providing access to A large 2 line FL display and cursor keys under the trap door allowing CINEMA 40 users to configure the receiver using only front panel keys and a large 2 line display. (the CINEMA 50 also support aluminum and trap door design but does not support a large FL display and setup buttons on the front panel)
  • Cinema 40 has 3 source/3 zones vs 2 source/2 zones of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 has 3 trigger outputs vs. 2 of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 has 1 component and 1 composite video input while the Cinema 50 does not.

Last edited:
Just following on from Derek’s post.

• Cinema 40 is designed and manufactured at their prestigious factory in Japan, a.k.a. Shirakawa Audio Works, same as the SR8015, while the Cinema 50 is manufactured in Vietnam.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes higher grade audio components and design. (IE. HDAM-SA2 improve version similar to the SR8015).
  • Cinema 40 has a more powerful EI core transformer, audio capacitor and higher rated power 125wpc vs 110wpc of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes monolithic amplifier construction, meaning each amplifier channel comes with its own amplifier PCB, instead of one single amplifier PCB for all channels providing better performance against crosstalk and vibration.
  • Cinema 40 incorporates more acoustic treatment for audio tuning, copper screws on the back panel, etc.
  • Cinema 40 employs 7 HDMI inputs vs. 6 HDMI inputs of Cinema 50 (All inputs support up to 8K40, 4K120 on both models).
  • Aluminum and a large trap door design (face plate) providing access to A large 2 line FL display and cursor keys under the trap door allowing CINEMA 40 users to configure the receiver using only front panel keys and a large 2 line display. (the CINEMA 50 also support aluminum and trap door design but does not support a large FL display and setup buttons on the front panel)
  • Cinema 40 has 3 source/3 zones vs 2 source/2 zones of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 has 3 trigger outputs vs. 2 of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 has 1 component and 1 composite video input while the Cinema 50 does not.
Thanks for this, Phil, you've done your homework!

This does look like an impressive list of differences between the two models, but a couple of points:

1. Unless you do a direct A-B comparison, how will you know which sounds better?

2. Cinema 50 £1700, Cinema 40 £2150 = £450 difference. I still think that's a lot extra to pay for perhaps only marginal improvements, though I can't deny that the legacy connections may matter to some purchasers.

3. I do find it interesting that the 40 has dropped in price so quickly whilst the 50 has held firm; maybe the 40 isn't selling as well? This is no reflection on its quality, by the way, just that the 50 may be the sweet spot for the price/performance ratio as I mentioned before, that's all.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, Phil, you've done your homework!

This does look like an impressive list of differences between the two models, but a couple of points:

1. Unless you do a direct A-B comparison, how will you know which sounds better?

2. Cinema 50 £1700, Cinema 40 £2150 = £450 difference. I still think that's a lot extra to pay for perhaps only marginal improvements, though I can't deny that the legacy connections may matter to some purchasers.

3. I do find it interesting that the 40 has dropped in price so quickly whilst the 50 has held firm; maybe the 40 isn't selling as well? This is no reflection on its quality, by the way, just that the 50 may be the sweet spot for the price/performance ratio as I mentioned before, that's all.

Hi @Derek S-H

1. I never tried the C40 as it was out of my budget, the info I posted is from the Audioholics website, it's all subjective, as some members on AVS say it is a marked improvement over the C50, however a couple of members have said they couldn't tell a difference. Also, the C40 being built in Japan for some is a big thing.

2. When I was shopping around the C50 was £1700, the C40 was £2500, so a price of £2150 is a great price considering the C40 has not been out that long.

3. Yeah from speaking to some dealers, the C50 is selling like hotcakes, C40 is flagging, so I think it's all sales related, also in general this generation of receivers has seen sharp increases from previous years.

OK well last night I had my first issue with the C50, I shut down my ps5 after a few hours of gaming, and my C50 just locked up, I couldn't switch it off via the remote or the mains power button, and the remote wouldn't even change inputs or volume.

However the C50 switches itself off if no input is detected after 15mins, so I waited for that to kick and it did.

Then I unplugged the C50 and tried it again, and normal service resumed. I hope it was a one-off issue, very strange never experienced anything like it.

Looks like I have more issues, when I press set-up on my remote I get a blank display....might have to do a factory reset and start again.:mad:

Looks like I have more issues, when I press set-up on my remote I get a blank display....might have to do a factory reset and start again.:mad:
Before doing that, maybe try a soft reset first: Continue pressing the power button on the unit until “Restart” appears in the display, or remove and re-insert the power cord of the unit.

Yep, you're right!

Phil - I'm almost tempted not to write anything here as I don't want to tempt fate, but I've had zero issues with my Cinema 50 so far.

Everything's just worked perfectly - maybe that Vietnamese QC is variable!

Anyway, do keep posting up if anything else happens as it all adds to the Thread knowledge base.

Well it is now 3 days later - don't leave us hanging. Did soft reset work? If not, did hard/factory reset work?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom