1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz cd7300

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Ratoban, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, has anybody seen or heard this player or have any opinions on it?
    Mp3 and cd playback is unusual for a cd player so might be interested if its any good.
    thnxs
    Rob.

2. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am probably getting one to match a PM7200 next month so some feedback on them would be great too.

The Cd7300 was actually reviewed in this months hifi world magazine (http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk) where it got a favourable review.

I was wondering if the player can display id3 tags for mp3 or not? (I am guessing not - but I can hope)

:)

3. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to get one next week all being well so I'll give you some feedback then. I'm also partnering with the PM7200 which is excellent. It's only fed with my old Technics SLPG490 at the mo but its still a great improvement over my 14 year old Onkyo.

4. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mitch2000,
    some feedback would b great m8 Nice 1.
    Rob.

5. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Come on Mitch - we need some feedback! ;)

Not sure whether its worth going for the CD7300 or trying to source a CD6000 Ki/OSE special edition.

Was the 7300 made as a replacement for the 6000?

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Does a small query here dudes as you boys are fanatical about Marantz CD players, have you dudes considered getting a 2nd hand CD 17 ? in plain non-KI variety they go from £300-400, even then KI versions at Mk I can be bought for £500-600 and you can easily pick up a CD 17 KI Mk II for £600-800, trust me that all these players are in a different league to the 6000KI or the 7300. Emperors new clothes dudes beware of them go back a couple of years with Marantz and you are in a whole new league (Ie I would easily have a CD 17 Mk I for £300 over the new models above).

Or if you dudes are really into Marantz CD players this is widely regarded as one of the best ever redbook CD players made.

Marantz
    CD7 Price: £1650.00 RRP: £3500.00

True classic CD player. Marantz at their very best. Rave reviews. This CD7 is absolutely as new. CD Player, stand-alone DAC. Digital filters. Sounds a million dollars. A truly wonderful CD player in every way. Build quality is battleship. Sound is to die for. photos:

http://www.archtopmagazine.net/marantz-cd7.html

ATB

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    We have one of these in our dem room and I will confirm that it is an extraordianary piece of engineering. I dont know what CJROSS's thoughts on its sounds are but I find it perhaps a little too sterile (dependant on amps) and detached. This is probably of course total neutrality in action but I don't know if its up my alley.

8. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Guys. I'm still waiting. Its on order at Unbeatable and has been for over 12 days. I'm getting a bit impatient but I'll just have to wait. I going to ring them tomorrow to gee em up a bit, although PRC appear to have it in stock for about the same price.
    I think The CD17 could be the answer but personally I'm also thinking of MP3 for the near future which the CD7300 handles pretty well.
    Also I'm not sure my feedback is going to count for much as I will only be able to compare the CD7300 with my old Technics player.

9. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    and you can easily pick up a CD 17 KI Mk II for £600-800

I've always wanted a CD 17 KI MK II and is the only (Marantz) player I'd consider to replace my current Marantz CD63 MkII KI (everthing else, inc. the 6000 KI is a downwards or sideways step).

Where have you seen the CD 17 KI Mk II for £600-£800???

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Offers.html

Marantz CD17 Ken Ishiwata Signature in Champagne gold. Part exchanged, was £1,300, now £675. Does not mention it being a Mk II but if it was a Mk I it would be going for a bit less than the amount above IMHO.

http://www.vickers-hifi.co.uk/retail/frameset.html

Exdemo : CD17mk2 Ki gold £1200 £1000

Not many about just now Puddle but it changes week to week, there were about 5 or 6 CD 17 KIs in the a £500-800 sector not so long ago. HFW Classifieds is also a good spot to see them :

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/classads.html

As is :

http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/home.asp

ATB

11. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    great - thanks CJ - I'll keep an eye out :)

12. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CD7300 coming tomorrow (at last!). I've got the day off so will be avidly waiting for the delivery co. Hope their early. I'll report back tomorrow evening.

13. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    They just added this on the marantz website: http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/news/review_350.zip

Review from hifi choice - gave it a very good write up.

I find it interesting that in other reviews they seem to compare it against £800+ players like the Creek and even a £1900 Chord to benchmark certain areas.

I am gonna get one early next month along with an atacama equinox rack as I don't fancy plonking the 7300 directly on top of my PM7200 with the amount of heat it gives off in class A :)

Let us know how it goes Mitch - and what dif you notice over previous set up :)

14. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it arrived early this morning and has been playing a fair selection (The new Norah Jones, Queen on MP3, Madonna, Ryan Adams, Chris Rea). It's a great improvement over my Technics player, a much clearer treble was instantly noticeable.
    Its difficult to say how it compares to some of todays other models without comapring them side by side but I think its money well spent.
    It handles MP3's extremely well even giving album and track titles on the display.
    Its certainly well built as is the Marantz Amp. The CD disc draw is as smooth as silk.

15. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beware! Marantz have stated that this CD player does not play protected cds as only conforms to redbook. Some retailers have reiniterated this. I haven't be able to verify myself.

16. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Norah Jones 'Feels LikeHome' contains copy control technology but plays OK, although I can confirm that the manual states: 'Some copy controlled CDs may not conform to official CD standards. They are special discs and may not play on the CD7300'.
    Think this could be true for the majority of CD players.

17. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good to hear it displays mp3 info :) I was hoping this would be the case.

What speakers do you use with it? I also have a PM7200 do be used with one and have b&w 602's. My only concern is it may sound a bit bright.

18. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting mine tomorrow (paid £248). I have some mp3 disks but playing them through this is sacrilege. All the benefits of such a good cd player are lost.

Glad to hear the copy protection is not an issue. It did worry me and may put some people off unnecessarily. Tis a pity Marantz don't have a cheap SACD player but everything I hear and read is that multi-format machines are crap (especially DVD players). Sony's SACD scd-bx270 versions maybe alright for SACDs but rubbish for normal CDs as I demoed.

19. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is it the Gold one you are getting for 248? If so - where you buy from please? :)

20. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Beware! Marantz have stated that this CD player does not play protected cds as only conforms to redbook

Woo! That makes it a really no-no IMHO. Like it or not, a hell of a lot of disks come with protection, something my current Marantz CD63 MkII KI will play just fine.

I was considering the CD 7300 as a sideways move from my 63 KI, but this is out of the question now...

Perhaps Marantz are just covering their backs though, and it WILL play them, just not guaranteed?

21. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  22. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought black version and very good it sounds too. Personally I think gold's a bit old-fashioned nowadays. A review of the DV6400 said it was crap for music. Think it was on ecoustics. Steer clear of the multiformat players if you want good music. For the price it sounds too good to be true and that's right. Pioneer multiformats are just the same - dry, tinny and too clinical for music.

23. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Munkay I'm using Acosutic Energy Aegis 3's and they sound great.

I got mine from unbeatable eventually for £248 plus postage (£7.99). Although I think they have it in stock now so it may be a bit quicker to get one. For the price I did not mind waiting a bit.

Bluesfan - I was a bit sceptible about MP3 but I got to admit they sound pretty good at not at all compressed as I would have expected.

24. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Marantz Have a link to a Hi-Fi choice review of this player if you are interested.

25. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had no problems with Protected CD's but have just found that it does not like one certain type of CDR which I got from big pockets some time last year. There silver top discs and pretty cheap but had no previous problems. The discs play on all other players that I own and its not every disc ?!

26. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    OT: Hooray, someone else whos discovered that a good quality DAC makes all the difference to MP3s. I get tired of hearing the same old crap peddled about MP3 when those people have only heard it through substandard equipment.

27. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I've just demoed it at a shop with a CD in which I'd recorder diverse material (Joe Jackson, Björk, U2...). It sounded really very good, but I don't know how much of that was because of the Marantz stereo integrated amplifier or the bi-wired Monitor Audio loudspeakers.

A good player at any rate. I want to check the NAD c542 now.

28. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. For the price it's faultless. Great soundstage and clarity. The jog dial and 1-10 track buttons are great as I sit next to it. Get one now. You really don't need to spend more that £250 with this one.