1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz CD7300 CLICKING NOISE & REDBOOK

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bluesfan, Jan 7, 2005.

1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone clarify what is meant by the Redbook standard. My understanding is that even disks over 74 minutes conform to the Redbook standard?

I am getting a clicking sound coming from my Marantz CD7300. While it is not consistent and does occur on disks less than 74 minutes it seems to be more often on disks over 74 minutes. It occurs on home recorded and commercial disks and mp3 disks that the machine supports.

Marantz have said that only Redbook disks are guaranteed with their models. I am having it looked at but may get in dispute with them as it is difficult to replicate (eg restarting the disks can clear the clicking noise). I have had it less than a year.

2. CosmosD

CosmosD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have not had any of these problems you are experiencing. Is the clicking sound coming through the speakers or just from the player?
    To me it sound like the CD player mechanism has a fault rather than anything wrong with the discs.

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CD player definitely as I turn the amp off to test. Have you tried home recorded disks 80 minutes? These seem to be worse but other disks do it commercial Santana Live, etc.

4. CosmosD

CosmosD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have been using home recorded disc of various makes of discs and have not had any problems. This definately sounds like the CD mechanism.

5. danglase

danglase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! It now happens on my CD7300. Mine is out of warranty and therefore I have taken it apart. It is definitely a mechanical noise and independent of the type of disc being played. It seems to happen mainly on CDs that are not perfectly centred on the spindle and/or if there is a degree of warpage on the CD. By opening the draw and closing it again (thereby allowing the CD to initially sit in a different position in the tray) it is possible that the clicking may stop (or get worse, of course). I really don't think there's much that can be done, except for purchasing a whole new tray assembly. I believe over time there has also been modest wear on the spindle and clamp tray which doesn't help matters. If anything, I think this problem will worsen over time. Sorry.