1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz CD72 MKII SE anygood?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by edlomb, Sep 8, 2004.

1. edlomb

edlomb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Just joined this forum and I'm hoping I can get some info/recomends.

Currently I have a Marantz cd67SE cd player. Its pretty much time for an upgrade. Its never been to good with CDR's and now it acts up with new cds aswell...hence the upgrade.

Anyway, I was trawling through ebay and was possessed by something to bid on a Marantz CD72 MKII SE. I got it for £200. Not sure if this is a good price.

Anyway when it comes to hifi purchases I am not at all an impulse buyer so no idea why I bought a player I nkwe nothing about and is as old as my CD67!

Anyway, is this player any good? I really only want to spend about £200 to £250 on a player and I've seen a marantz CD7300 in that range. Maybe thats a better deal. Or how about a second hand Arcam 9?

Any thoughts? Keep the CD72 or sell and replace with something better?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie

2. aemarques

aemarques
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My first - and, up to now, only - CD player is a Marantz CD 72 SE MKII, that I bought new when it was still in production, some years ago. I've since tested other machines from Denon, Arcam, NAD, Cambridge Audio, etc. Veredict? Close - but no cigar!

This one is for keeps. I'll stick to my machine until it is broken with no hope of repair.

I guess £200 is bit on the expensive side for a used machine, but if it is in good condition, you got yourself a bargain.

Regards,
    Antonio

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The CD 72 had very good reviews when it came out and it seems to still fetch a reasonable price for a good one. I doubt you'll improve on it by buying something else in that price range. You've got to look at the components that are used. Most are similar if not the same as what you have in your Marantz. Unless you look to some more obscure and smaller manufacturers you'll end up with a player much the same as you have now.
    Perhaps we could help more if we knew what your expectations were? What are you looking for in the CD player? More detail? More Dynamic? Less Bright?

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    CD72 wasnt a bad player, but its not exactly a classic. The DAC is of reasonable quality, but you really need the TDA1541A silver crown (as in Naim players and early Arcam models), it gives a more analogue sounding source (more natural). The op-amps and power supplies in most of these older players are a bit long in the tooth and a change to newer op amps and capacitors can give better results, but probably wouldnt be worth the bother with the CD72.

I have a CD80 which will eventually be modded, but sounds pretty good in standard form, just slightly ragged in places, but better than a lot of newer players. Should be better with the mods.

I use a standard CD17 at present........big hearted warm and smooth player, but lacks the sharp edge of the CD80, but has huge bass. TBH, its difficult to fault......well.....until I put it up against my turntable, when it goes AWOL :blush:

So, if you dont like the CD72....sell it. As to what player to replace it with. I had the 63 KI sig and still think its a poor second to the CD17. Maybe try an older Arcam alpha 5 as a comparison. After that, its ever decreasing circles and ever increasing costs....with smaller returns.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    The CD72 got good reviews, but thats pretty much meaningless as most Marantz machines do - whether they're good or not! As Knightshade says, we really need to know your music/tonal tastes to give any sort of qualitive answers.

Personally, I can think of quite a few better players, including new ones (Cambridge AZUR series) to spend around £200 on.

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,301
    I would have thought that a CD63KI would have been a better bet used but there you go.

Funny you should say that :). As cambridge is in the same building, I often come in to find that the SA8400 or CD63KI has been disconnected and a 640C is up and running. What is more interesting is that it isn't the Cambridge guys who connect it up..........

7. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Whats a good second hand buy at the moment.I've always liked Marantz and am prepared to pay up to £400.
    Want something to replace my CD41 which is 12 years old.I'm currently using my Pioneer dvd717 as a source.