Marantz CD6006 VS Cyrus CDI

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by AlexPaterson, Sep 4, 2018.

1. AlexPaterson

AlexPaterson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was wondering.
    Has any of you compared these two CD payers side by side, on the same system, to test if they provide distinctively different sound quality ?

Does Cyrus CDI offer a better soundstage and musicality, compared to Marantz CD6006 ?

Thank you !

2. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,075
    You are comparing a £1000+ player, the Cyrus, against a £400 Marantz. On that basis alone I would expect the Cyrus to sound better, if for nothing else the better quality pathway within the player. A better comparison would be against the Marantz SA8005 as both these players are in the same price bracket.

I can, however, compare the CD6006 against the SA8005 as I own both and although they are not now connected to the same system both are used with several models of headphones including the high end Oppo PM1s. The higher spec'd 8005 has a better amount of detail on redbooks it also appears to have a wider soundstage. There is also a depth to the music on the 8005 which easily places instruments and vocals in positions that are defined, this is not such a talent with the 6006.

Any difference in how they sound is more likely to be down the difference in the 'house' sound as tonally both the Marantz really sound the same, I except the Cyrus to sound different. On both redbook and SACD the 8005 shines when playing through my Rega amp.

Both 6006 and Cyrus are talented players but I believe the 6006 punches well above it's weight and it certainly outperformed my Pioneer blu ray player for CD reproduction when coupled to my Denon AVR, it's never been mated to the Rega.

Personally I would, out of the two, go for the Cyrus. But then buying new would put me closer to the Marantz SA14 which would ultimately get my vote because of my SACD collection.

3. AlexPaterson

AlexPaterson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This makes sense. Considering that I am not in a hurry, I will probably look for a used Cyrus CDI
    Thank you !

4. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,075
    If you can get a Marantz for a good price I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed it really is a very good player and is unbeatable at it's own price point. Will the rest of your kit complement the Cyrus?

5. Mario2018

Mario2018
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All
    The Cyrus CDI and Marantz SA 8005 are made in UK and Japan respectively. The CD 6006 is not made in Japan but the quality control is still good. It is widely known that the CD 6006 and PM 6006 is an economical combination with great sound.
    For performance, both Cyrus CD1 and Marantz SA 8005 deserve asking for a high price, though we cannot say which is better. My impression is Marantz tends to produce warm sound for easy listening, but some people would like high resolution and analytical sound--just personal tastes. FYI, SA8005 is the second best among marantz high end, while the 6006 line are of best quality for entry level.
    It seems both cyrus and marantz are a little bit bright and lean, so careful pairing with speakers is needed.
    In short, the devices you mentioned are good at their prices. Happy listening :)

6. AlexPaterson

AlexPaterson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for this answer !
    I have a pair of Tannoy Revolution XT6F, with a Rega Elicit-R amplifier so far.

I was actually considering the Marantz 6006 at the moment, to upgrade it next year with a more analytical DAC. That way I would be able to compare the Marantz sound and the one coming out from the DAC. If I'll want a warm, easy listening experience, I'll just use the Marantz, else I'll switch the DAC on and use Marantz just for transport.

Any suggestion on a good sounding DAC to play both files and CDs ?

Thank you !

7. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,075
    I just use the onboard DAC of my Marantz SA 8005 into my Elicit R. Plenty of detail from the Marantz which I also use for my Oppo PM1 headphones. Unlike the 6006 the 8005 does have digital inputs, one each of optical and coax. The 6006 and 8005 have a USB port on the front of the unit. I like the overall sound of the Marantz and it really does sit well with the Elicit. Owning both 6006 and 8005 there is certainly more detail from the 8005.

I doubt very much that, certainly in the near future, I'll go for a separate DAC. My next purchase could very well be a headphone amp whether it will be a straight amp or something like the Simaudio Moon 230 is still be mulled over.

8. Jaded1

Jaded1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've been thinking about upgrading my CD6006 and getting one (of the last) SA8005's available but I can't see what justifies the £1000 price tag. Looking at the Marantz site side by side there are very little differences. They even have the same DAC. I suspect the increase in price from the CD6006 is mostly because they are one of the last SACD players available.

If anyone can prove to me otherwise while it's worth forking out so much more (in terms other than "it just sounds better" I'd be glad to hear it!

9. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,075
    I own both. Main difference is that the 8005 has optical and coax connections and could be used as a digital hub. The main internals are different and built to a higher spec in Marantz's Japan factory. Headphone amp is slightly more powerful. But it all comes down to sound quality and the 8005 is better on redbooks, garnishing more detail from them. Very evident when listening with headphones. They may have the same DAC but it's the pathway after the DAC that makes the differences as indeed it does on most players.

The 8005 is really quiet in operation although slower to load than the 6006, probably down to the SACD reading. The 6006 gives album titles on CDs but this is only available to SACDs on the 8005. I managed to buy the 8005 new for £520 and as I needed another player it was far too good an offer to leave there. Since then though I've spent a small fortune on SACD titles and for those discs it is superb.

Marantz are still continuing to produce SACD players, the SA14 and flagship SA10. Even though my Pioneer blu ray player is SACD capable and can play the 5.1 layers through my Denon 6200 the stereo only 8005 and Rega Elicit combo is by far my preferred listening choice.

10. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I’d go for a separate dac every time.

A CD player would then simply be a transport.

As you have the Elicit R and because Rega CD players are nothing if not respected I’d be tempted by one of these. New or used.

http://www.rega.co.uk/dac-r-1.html