1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

marantz cd6000 ose and cd6000k1 whats the differance between these 2 cd players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mick23, Aug 5, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    rs selling marantz cd6000se and marantz cd6000k1 whats the differance in these 2 cd players thank you

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    First off they are both quite good quality CDPs, the 6000 Ose has had good reviews, the main difference is that the KI version is one that has been “hot rodded” by Ken Ishiwata hence KI version, by upgrading the original, ie using solid copper for the casing, changing out some compontents - capacitors etc, better PSUs etc, the DAC stays the same IIRC but there is meant to be a difference in performance. Marantz KI stuff generally has a good rep. I cant speak about the 6000 KI but I know a couple of dudes who have the CD 17 KI (Mk II) and it blows the standrard version of the CD 17 into the weeds well worth the £400 over the £800 CD 17. For the money RS are offering the 6000 KI it is a no brainer to buy (if they actually have any in stock that is) IMO. Check with RS if they have any Arcam CD72s in stock Mick I would rate that player up there with the 6000 KI.

Here is the bumpth from the web pages (although they dont actually say what KIs upgrades are) :

CD 6000 OSE LE
    CD PLAYER Based upon the highly rewarded and extremely popular CD6000 OSE, we now introduce the CD6000 OSE LE. Once again we show the world that we know how to build a top-end CD player at a competitive price. All our knowledge about shielding and component selection was used to come to this unique product. Simply listen to this product and enjoy. But please bare in mind not to wait too long; this is a Limited Edition.

CD6000 KI
    CD PLAYER The KI-series of Marantz are the embodiment of the knowledge and inspired vision of Ken Ishiwata. To understand his vision best, just experience this exquisite piece of equipment. With his knowledge he redesigned the CD6000 to the CD6000KI

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thought k1 would be good anyway for £250 , but the dont know if rs do cd72 the cd72 is about £400 if i recall elseware

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just thought i'd add.........
    I have a 6000OSE which i got from RS well over a year ago for £150, which at the time was pretty good value!
    I am very pleased with playback at knocks spots of anything else i tried under £200, so the KI for £250 should be great although as pointed out there are some superb players from Arcam out and Nad seem to be pouring them out! (See what hifi)

A note of warning, much of the reduced marantz stock in richersounds tends to be "graded" stock which is not usually a problem, but just watch out.

Cheers

The monkey with the nuts.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    iv got nad 540 cd player not sure if buying say arcam cd72 or cd6000k1 would (really be an upgrade) i did hear an arcam against the nad when i purchased the nad, but am not sure which arcam cd player model i demoed it against thank you

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I honestly think in performacne terms going from a £300-400 CDP to another in that bracket ie what your thinking of doing with the 540 is a sideways move, you wont get much of a hike in performance (ie very noticable) until you get to the £800 mark, a better option would be adding a DAC at the price you are going to buy again ie £300-400 ish, you are in fact then buying a real upgrade in sound.

BTW I know of 2 dudes with NAD CDPs (the 520 & 540) and both of their coaxial outputs have died on them, so this may not be such a good idea in your actual case Mick.

And yes I think that a 540 to a 6000 KI will be a slight improvement but still in overall terms a sideways move.

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mmmm, I'd put the Marantz 6000KI in a different league to the CD72 but enough of my thoughts - here's what HiFi Choice concluded when they tested the CD72 (along with several other players including the 6000KI):

The price hike to £400 from the Alpha 7SE's £300 can be justified by the CD72's better build and other improvements, but on balance we suggest that the premium is on the high side. Judged in isolation, the CD72 is very competent and credible newcomer. At the very least, it is neutral and tidy sounding, though one wag described it as "the one in the grey suit". As a way of protecting your investment, it can even be upgraded to full CD92 status, which should be applauded. But in the context of this test group, and in particular the impressive showing of the Marantz CD6000KI Signature, neither the panel nor I felt it was quite good enough to warrant formal Recommendation at the price. In its relative inability to handle transient leading edges cleanly, it seemed to us to lack the essential liveliness and vitality of the less costly Alpha 7SE on which it is based.

Okay, so it's a magaizine review but remember that this was a full test with HiFi Choice doing blind listening tests to keep things objective. Also bear-in-mind that this review was based on the Marantz costing £500!

Matt.

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Matt Im only reporting what Ive heard dudes over at the Hifi Choice forum say about these players, I dont in fact think that they are a huge step up from a NAD 540 you will note, and yes I never take what reviewers have to say about kit as gospel, they can give you a general feel for a products quality sound etc but when the start saying that kit is fact the BEST of class I switch off totally.

There are so many things that can affect a players performance like system synergy, ie what amp & speakers were used in 'blind tests' in the real world the sound of players can vary wildy with the kit they are used with, so their reviews are generally horseplops in the real world IMHO.

9. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I back up what CJCROSS said. I've also learnt recently that the performance of CD players goes up in very very small increments as the price rises. You really need to spend a great deal to achieve a profound difference. And there's more to life and money can be far better spent than getting a 2% increase in sound quality. Nevertheless, the marantz CD6000 OSE and CD6000 KI are both great players. Not much difference between the two at all. The latter has a slightly better ability to give apropriate tonal colour to vertain instruments. But like i said, it's almost unperceptable.

10. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without going up to £800, at around the £600 mark you get the new Arcam CD82, the Exposure 2010 CD and a couple of Rotels, all supposed to be a step up in quality. What hifi said the Exposure was different leauge to the 72, but then the 82 blew that out the water. Worth a look in, probably. But if you do go up to £800, I'd say the Cyrus CD7 is the best player I've heard at that price point, probably sub£1000.