1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz CD5400 review in WHF

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Daneel, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They seem very impressed with this budget CD player. The NAD 521i finally has some competition. It looks very nice, has anyone heard it?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's good to see Marantz are still catering for the 2 Channel music (maybe after realising that Multi-Channel music isn't really going anywhere - despite What Hi-Fi's best efforts).

The new slew of marantz products have (unusually for marantz) got both respectable build & sound quality - take a look at the PM7200 (which I was so impressed with I bought).

Demoed it with the CD5400 and it certainately sounded descent for the price - not sure if I'd say it outperforms the NAD but it's still cheaper & is at least On Par with it.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy,
    What would you compare the PM7200 with. From what I can gather it punches far above it's weight. A dealer told me that it compares to a Arcam A85 in class A??

Regards
    John

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't heard the Arcam A85....

I tested it alongside a Rotel RA-O2 when I was choosing between the two and it really did outclass it.

I've - at some point - tested the Cyrus 8 but not alongside the marantz so it's difficult to say how the two perform alongside eachother.

And just as a note - the difference between class A and class AB isn't as huge as many people would have you believe.

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers dimmy