1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz CD4000 review

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Daneel, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Daneel

Dec 5, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I just bought this player from Jimmysil (thanks mate) for £45. It is about a year old and is replacing my old DVD player, a Wharfedale 750S for CD duty. I only bothered to replace it because the Wharfedale is having trouble moving on to the next track, maybe the laser is dying.

They CD4000 seems well built. It is right at the budget end though so extras are few. There is a digital coaxial out, phono connections and a headphone out. Features wise you have repeat, program, fade, shuffle and volume control. The drive mechanism is solid and fast. It is very quiet in operation (playing, loading a CD is quite loud although the sound is nice and solid). With normal CDs it loads and skips tracks faster than either of my DVD players. CDRs can be slower and CDRW is a no-go, lots of skipping.

The display is rather dim. I have to turn the level on my 2011 receiver to its lowest to be the same brightness. It also comes with a small, functional remote.

The volume control affects the digital output which surprised me. I get the feeling that this player is outputting PCM rather than a bit-stream. It is about 1db lower than the digital output of my Toshiba 520E but the analogue output is 3-4 db higher. I have no idea why that is. Talking of volume, the headphone output is VERY loud. Using my Senn HD580s with it, even on minimum volume it is still too loud for me.

Playing a few CDs through digital the sound is identical to that from my 520E after compensating for the volume difference. I haven’t quite decided on the analogue output yet. Messing around with the volume makes the comparison harder. Don’t take this as a bad thing by any means. I am very happy with the sound from my system in both stereo and multi-channel. Due to the EQ my receiver does I think that the CD player sound would need to be quite different before I would be able to detect it and I have a sneaking suspicion that if I spent £500 on a CD player I would still struggle to tell it apart from this one (pure speculation of course).

I no longer miss the beginning of tracks with this CD player (maybe because it is PCM?) like I did with both DVD players. It was just the first 0.5-1 second, but it was still annoying.

Quiet, noticeably so compared to both my DVD players
    Faster loading time and access to tracks
    Better facilities with easier access (programming, repeat, shuffle, etc)
    Don’t miss the very beginning of tracks

Bit-stream digital output would be preferred
    Headphone output is all but useless
    Sound quality is not any better, on digital at least
    CDRW doesn’t work

Overall I am happy with my purchase and would suggest that if you are using a DVD player as a CD source, picking up a cheap but decent CD player would be a good idea.
  2. sr78

Standard Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Thanks for the review, confirms that even cheap CD players outperform DVD players costing two, three, four, five times more.