1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz CD10...does it still impress?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by paulr, Oct 29, 2004.

1. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Often see them for sale but considering its a 10 yr old design does it still perform.It was 1k in the mid 90's.

Anyone still use one?

cheers
    Paul.

2. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Anyone?

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    More importantly, I think you should consider the possibility of the laser clapping-out sometime soon (given its age). You'll either have a big repair bill, or discover that it can't be fixed at all :(

Might be worth finding out what transport mechanism/assembly it uses to see if it can be repaired in the event of such a mis-hap.

DT

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im about to pick up my heavily modified Marantz CD80 and that has an even older CDM1 mechanism and I can substitute bits of the CDM4 so you should be OK.

As to how good it is..........well it uses a DAC7 chipset so is quite hard to modify. In standard form it will sound pretty ropey. Also, at ten years old it will probably require several of the capacitors to be changed (they dry out over time in case you wondered).

Going down the route of getting older CD players is quite problematical. I bought mine for virtually nothing (£60) but when you add the Blackgate caps, new op amps and reclocking, then a few other more discrete modifications plus the labour you can be talking around £250-£300 on the price. There is still the problem with spares.

If you do decide to go on this route then I have a fair bit of experience of what you might expect. The CD10 would'nt be my first choice for modifying, your better off getting something like an Arcam 5 as thats a common choice for modifying.

Is it worth it ?

Well if you regard it as a none too serious project with the potential of creating a giant killer then perhaps. But its not an easy route to take and as yet I cannot comment on the result until I pick my CD player up.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    To add to Karkus's comments, the 10 had problems with the laser assembly even when the design was a few years old (1994) so any machine you pick up could be ready for a microprocessor change (this caused a 'sticking' problem) or a new pickup. Heavy usage at the time identifed this problem, so any machine now, nearly 12 years on, may well have the same.

6. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    most of the cd10's were recalled for modification if i remember rightly i think if it's still working ok now then the chances are it's allready been sorted out
    i think it was something to do with the laser sticking / freezing and you had to power off to reset it

i have a cd94 that was bought in 1988 ( older than the 10 ) and is still going strong but i use a third party dac ( DPA little bit2 ) and it still sounds fine but i have not compared it to todays players so i can't comment too much on that part although i have tried other cd players like the cd62 se ( i think that was the model ) to be honest the 62 se doesn't even come close not a new model i know but well rated in its day

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I still like that DAC, had a lot of character.

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    There was no recall. It was up to the user to return - if the problem occured. Switching off didn't always work, you had to bang the unit on the side to get it to unstick! :D

Did, but I preferred the 'bigger bit' which dug more out detail wise. The 'little bit' was easier matched though. The Bigger bit liked the Meridian transport I tried it with, yet wasn't so great with an ARcam 250.

9. AirCooledHeaven

AirCooledHeaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I regularly use my CD10 that I've owned from new since 1994. It's a great piece of kit and has never missed a beat, and incredibly solid (12KG I think). I use it with a Naim pre/power combo and Mission 753 speakers. Very detailed, open and natural sound.

Definitely a good second hand buy in my opinion, cost me £1200 new, going for not much money on ebay.

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    See you were totally convincing until you got to the bit about Very detailed, open and natural sound and a Naim amplifier ;) I have a Naim amp and I just know that natural sound doesnt quite fit.

11. AirCooledHeaven

AirCooledHeaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I didn't want a Naim setup, I'd convinced myself it was the very last thing I'd buy, pretentious overpriced esoteric poorly styled etc etc. Then I auditioned every '5 star' setup at my dealer and nothing hit the spot, then he said at least listen to the naim before you go. I did and was hooked. Beauty being in the ears of the beholder :)

Mind you, even 10 years on, every time I use it I'm appalled by the cheap plastic knobs!

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im appalled by most of it :D but it does sound great. I did try an LFD pre power that was recommended to me by someone that tries everything going as part of a development process for his speakers and though it was good and had a nicer sound during female vocalist tracks, overall I felt I missed out on the things that the Naims managed to do. Of course they are not perfect, but I have yet to find something that is (and I have tried a lot), but overall they make music a pleasure and give a sense of scale and excitement that gets missed out of most amplifier performances.

13. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks for the replies. I never bought one but i did recently buy a second hand Marantz PM17 amp.
    Karkus,you seem very knowledgeable regarding the engineering aspects of hi-fi. Is there anything that may need replacing on a 7yr old high end amp or would you say (in general) they are pretty reliable.

thanks
    Paul.