Marantz CD players vs DVD players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt F, May 1, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a thought but I was wondering how good a DVD player is needed to equal the following two players for CD playback:

1. Marantz CD6000KI
    2. Marantz CD17 MKII KI

I'm kind of thinking that you'd be talking about an Arcam FMJ to equal the CD6000KI - from what I've read, the DV88 wouldn't be up there with it i.e. the DV88 equals Arcams CD72 which, although good, ain't as good as the CD6000KI.

As for the CD17 MKII KI, I would guess you'd have to look at at £2K Meridian DVD player or even the TAG DVD player to equal such a high level of performance with CD.

Where am I going with this? Well, it's the old two box debate i.e. you can pick up a CD6000KI for around £350 and a Toshiba SD210E (or whatever the latest model is) for £200. So, for £550 you'd have a cracking CD player (way better than all but a few DVD players) and a bl*ody good DVD player to boot. And, I presume, you wouldn't need to worry about the copy-protected CD issue that effects some DVD players.

Matt.

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If you want good CD replay...you should start by looking at the FMJ DV27 as entry level as this is the "best value" do-it-all player...assuming youve got the dosh :)

Until you get into the big boys from Tag & Meridian ;)

Cyrus DVD7 maybe also worth a look???

JJ

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently got a Marantz DV7010, and a friend of mine will shortly be obtaining the CD6000 KI - we intend to do a head to head demo of these two.

I am very fond of the warm Marantz sound, so I will be sticking with them, even if I do go for a CD17 mk2 KI in the future (then I'll be able to get a high-end Toshiba, and concentrate on picture with the DVD, as the 7010 is a little lacking in this area).

I'll post my results on the head to head...

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    And I guess it depends very much on the electronics you are going to marry it with: if they are not up to scratch you will not hear any or much of a difference.

IMHO no point to partner a good CDP or excellent DVD Player with a budget AV amp and then expect a major improvement in audio performance:
    Remember that even you use the analog out from the CDP the signal will most likely undergo AD and DA conversion in the AV amp since most don't have a true analog bypass, thus the limiting factor will be the amp/receiver.

5. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD,

I would be interested in the comparsion as well. I bought the Marantz for the CD audio playback but it doesn't have component output, which my TV does, so I am missing something.

What amp and speakers would you be using in your test ?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be using a Marantz AV9000 & MM9000 Pre-power 5 channel combo, going into Kef Reference Model One speakers.

Reiner - that's very interesting what you said about the amp doing AD, then DA again! Technically I don't lose out by going into the amp using a digital interconnect, then?

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Reiner - that's very interesting what you said about the amp doing AD, then DA again! Technically I don't lose out by going into the amp using a digital interconnect, then?

Yep, an issue most people (like to) forget or ignore. However the transport can make a difference, see the discussion here:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35689

For a standard setup (nothing fancy) I think there won't be too much difference using a digital connection.
    I tried my friends Marantz CD-63MkII KiSig against my Yamaha DVD-S700 and the difference was hardly noticable, only with audiophile recordings (not my musical taste anyway) and female voices the Marantz was a tiny bit better but not much to justify - for me - the purchase of a dedicated CDP.

May blame it on the amp though. :D

8. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HisDudeness

I think that the Marantz 9000 combo will have an analoge bypass function (like my Denon AVCA1SE), to allow an analogue signal to go directly to the power stage without AD/DA conversion?

Kane

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that's true then which will provide the best results I wonder - letting the amp decode the PCM stream, or letting the DVD player...after all the amp is more expensive than the DVD, the DAC might be better?

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Usually the DACs in the amp beat the DVD player's internal DAC. Saves you lot's of cables, too.

And don't forget that most AV amps perform AD/DA conversion for analog inputs, so even you have a superior DAC in the player it may not be of much use ... unless the AV amp has a true analog bypass.

11. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got round to borrowing some analogue cables and I wish I had done it earlier. The sound using the Marantz DVD's DAC was much smoother/warmer than the DAC in the Denon. The resulting volume from using the DVD DAC was much lower so I had a long listen just to make sure that it wasn't the difference in volume that was making it sound different. I even roped in the wife and she agreed with me without me saying anything!

I now wonder if I shouldn't have gone for the Marantz amp which could be a better partner for my Monitor Audio's although there seem to be a number of reliability issues! Decisions... Decisions.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that the 'warm' sound you are referring to is the Marantz family sound - the very reason I bought Marantz in the first place. I think this can be attributed to Marantz' use of HDAMs in the analogue output stage of both their mid-high end DVD players and amps????

Daninthemix