1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz CD player - Digital Out connection???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by wozwebs, Aug 11, 2003.

1. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi there, I have recently purchased the Marantz SR-4200 AV reciever so I can obtain DD5.1 & DTS for my Home Cinema setup.

I noticed though last night that my Marantz CD-48 CD player that I have had for a while has a Digital Out sign on the front. I noticed that there is a coaxial socket on the back next to the phonos.

These are what I have it linked to currently. I am using Cambridge red & white phonos.

Would the quality be better using a digital coaxial cable? Only asking before I buy a cable in case there is no difference.

Any advice most welcome

Cheers

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It depends which has the best dac (either the cdp or the av amp). I'd try both and keep which you prefer. If you use anologue you'll be using the cdp dac if amp set to direct mode. The av amp's dac will be used when using a digital coax or optical and if any processing on the anologue connection (set to anything other than direct.) I think I'm right on this but I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if i'm wrong.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    some av amps, take the analogue signal thru its digital path...