Marantz BD7004 - Anyone have one?

arockhound

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Looking to upgrade our blu-ray player to something with HD audio decoding and high quality analogue outs (to partner an Arcam AVR280). Would be for blu-ray and DVD only as have decent CD already.

My research does not yield a whole lot of options in my price range (£600-£750). There is not a lot of info/reviews out there about the Marantz - anyone have one here, and if so would you be able to give a quick opinion of it (even better if anyone has compared it to the opposition e.g. Denon 2010, Oppo 83 SE, others??)? Hoping to get a home demo, but won't be for a while so just curious.

TIA

Nobody at all have one of these, or demo'd one??

:lease:

I think Home Cinema Choice have reviewed it in their latest magazine which I got through the post a few days ago. I say I think because my family have contrived to lose the copy I have.

From memory, it didn't talk about it's abilities over analogue outs unfortunately.

I think the key problem (as I am looking for a similar machine) is that many of the Blu Ray machines don't have active bass management - the only one that seems to have it (Denon 3800) is very slow at loading Blu Rays which is a shame.

Thanks a lot for the reply - I'll look out for the mag and have a read. I agree it is a pity there is so little to choose from in this corner of the market. Denon 2010 is another option I guess (sister to the Marantz), but from what I can gather the Marantz might be a bit stronger on the audio side. Richer Sounds is advertising the Denon at less than £500, though.

When you look at the specs for the Marantz or the Denon 2010, check that they have bass management. This is apparently a really big issue for analogue outs as you want to ensure that the sub has adequate volume. Turning up the sub volume won't necessarily solve your problem as your other sources will then have really loud sub!

When you look at the specs for the Marantz or the Denon 2010, check that they have bass management. This is apparently a really big issue for analogue outs as you want to ensure that the sub has adequate volume. Turning up the sub volume won't necessarily solve your problem as your other sources will then have really loud sub!

Thanks - they don't do bass management. However, I don't have a sub at the moment - PMC GB1i's and a DB1M-Ci do the front end duty and are so good that I reckon can do without a sub for the forseeable - I'd rather get HD audio, hence the search for a decent BD player with on board HD audio decoding.

Thanks for the review, also.

In which case I would get the Oppo (non SE) as it has good reviews on analogue outputs.

In which case I would get the Oppo (non SE) as it has good reviews on analogue outputs.

My reading of the Oppo reviews is that the sound quality from the analogue outs on the standard (non-SE) version are average at best (and probably not nearly as good as the Marantz/Denon). The Panny BD-30 we have has analogue outs, just not HD audio decoding - they are not that great, though, and the digital output sounds much better.

Just have to wait until I can get a demo.

Cheers.

If someone is describing it as average, I would ignore their views, sounds like people don't have the experrience to make a judgement to me. It performs well above it's price (£500) but will not worry a £4k player to much and certaibly much better than the basic Pannys with analogues. I do think that using analogues is the wrong way to use these players unless you spend very serious money on analogue outs (and I would certainly want bass management at this level as an essential). SE would be the competiton for the Marantz BD7004 however, pretty looking player I think. Why not the Denon 3800?

PS Subs are about lfe channel more than you speakers capabilities per se so you will be missing loads of subtle info.

If someone is describing it as average, I would ignore their views, sounds like people don't have the experrience to make a judgement to me. It performs well above it's price (£500) but will not worry a £4k player to much and certaibly much better than the basic Pannys with analogues. I do think that using analogues is the wrong way to use these players unless you spend very serious money on analogue outs (and I would certainly want bass management at this level as an essential). SE would be the competiton for the Marantz BD7004 however, pretty looking player I think. Why not the Denon 3800?

PS Subs are about lfe channel more than you speakers capabilities per se so you will be missing loads of subtle info.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's just my take on all the stuff I've read on reviews/forums re the Oppo that leads me to think the analogues are not going to be the sufficient step up I'm looking for.

The Denon 3800 could have been an option, but I guess it's discontinued now?

Yes 3800 discontinued model, bit slow and not profile 2 but it has exceptionally good analogue outs (with BM) and probably more a £1500 player originally. Certainly quality there, nearer £700 now. If quality of analogue is your primary driver here that is where I would look first. It is the 3800 best asset and probably outslasses the Arcam kit.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom