Marantz AV7706 Little Bass

When I listen to Spotify the bass is excellent. Much better than previous Outlaw Audio preamp. Movies have good bass but lower than expected; I'm sure I can adjust that. The problem comes when playing CDs on my OPPO bluray player. Bass is ridiculously low. I've tried HDMI, 7.1 direct analog, and stereo analog. It's not settings on bluray player. My outlaw audio had great bass when playing cds. I've adjusted my subs to +3dB and little effect. I have tried many settings but have not run Audessy because I'm waiting for when I install height and side speakers. I bought a refurbished Marantz AV7706. Did I get a bad one with bad analog inputs?

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
When I listen to Spotify the bass is excellent. Much better than previous Outlaw Audio preamp. Movies have good bass but lower than expected; I'm sure I can adjust that. The problem comes when playing CDs on my OPPO bluray player. Bass is ridiculously low. I've tried HDMI, 7.1 direct analog, and stereo analog. It's not settings on bluray player. My outlaw audio had great bass when playing cds. I've adjusted my subs to +3dB and little effect. I have tried many settings but have not run Audessy because I'm waiting for when I install height and side speakers. I bought a refurbished Marantz AV7706. Did I get a bad one with bad analog inputs?
It‘s likely playing stereo using just your front L & R speakers, not using your sub at all.

On your remote, there are 4 coloured buttons, one of which is ‘sound modes’ for music, you can cycle through those and see if there’s one that gets you the bass you desire. The first press of the button will bring up the OSD and show which mode is currently active, repeated presses of the button cycles through the modes.

I don’t play stereo music on my system so don’t know which mode might give you the best results, but I do use the different sound modes for movies on occasion.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
You need to enable bass management for stereo, and/or adjust the bass level. This can be done in the AVR, but also in the Oppo, depending on connectivity. For 7.1 analogue, use the Oppo, for HDMI it's probably easier to use the Marantz. For stereo analogue you have to use the Marantz.

In the Marantz, the speakers must be set as small, the crossover set to 80Hz (or higher, depending on your speakers) and subwoofer mode enabled. Direct and Pure Direct (probably) do not support using a subwoofer - but you can test.

Shimrod

Assuming the settings haven't changed significantly from the AV7702Mk2, setting the subwoofer mode to LFE+Main will ensure the subwoofer is used even if the speakers are set to large.

I have those settings engaged. I set subwoofer bass level to +12dB for both subs and sounds like it should. Problem is I have to change it back to 0 when playing spotify. So I have to change every time based on source. Not really convenient. Unfortunately my sub trim levels on player have no effect on sub levels through analog stereo outputs. Only a surround sound feature for 7.1 analog output. That would have been an easy fix.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom