Question Marantz AV7702 & UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by UpTheIron, Dec 7, 2017.

1. UpTheIron

UpTheIron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hoping for some advice from those more knowledgeable than me please...

I'm well into budget overspend territory on my living room refurb and now that I'm putting the room back together I'm thinking sod the budget and looking at AV upgrades.

In particular I'm looking into getting a UHD Blu-ray player, and maybe a Chromecast Ultra. However from what little I already know and have just Google'd a little further my (MK1) AV7702 is going to be a problem as it doesn't support hdcp 2.2 and isn't upgradeable.

Am I right in that?

TV is currently an LG OLED55B6 but might upgrade to 65" equivalent soon, but I believe the TV will be good for 4k content.

So... is there any workaround? I vaguely recall looking at HD Fury devices some time ago, or would I be best to just bite the bullet and upgrade the pre-pro?

What about a Chromecast Ultra, am I likely to hit copy protection issues?

Many thanks
    Paul

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Can't help with Chromecast but if you get a UHD Player with dual HDMI outputs you can send video direct to the display and audio separately to your Marantz.

3. UpTheIron

UpTheIron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's a good point, thanks. Or HDMI direct to the TV and digital audio out. Doesn't quite fit with me trying to make the pre-pro the centre of things but would avoid spending £££.

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I'm not sure if you'd run into any audio limitations by relying on the TV sending audio back to your Marantz (assuming that's what you mean). Depends what the TV does to the signal it receives and what digital audio output you use. HDMI might be ok but if it's Optical you'll be stuck with basic Dolby Digital/DTS.

Using the second HDMI on the UHD Player means you'll have no such issues and Dolby Atmos/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA will work perfectly.

5. UpTheIron

UpTheIron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ah, sorry. I meant using digital coax or optical audio out from the UHD to my pre-pro. Assumes the UHD I go for has such an output but looks like all my candidates do... basically Oppo 203/5 or Xbox one s/x. Polar opposites but best of breed imho

6. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Only HDMI can pass the Bitstream signal for Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA etc. You'll be limiting yourself to just Dolby Digital/DTS if you connect via Coaxial or Optical.

Dual HDMI works superbly, I use mine that way. :thumbsup:

7. UpTheIron

UpTheIron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ah, thank you! Every day is a school day!