• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Marantz AV7702 MK2 vs Yamaha CX-A5100

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a new ATMOS/DTS X enabled processor. I am coming from an Onkyo 5509 and would like to know which one of the two would you choose and why?

I haven't heard either in action, however every dealer I have called have told me Yamaha is better than Marantz. Your help is much appreciated!

Many thanks.

stevos

Distinguished Member
Havingly stupidly brought a 5509 instead of waiting to buy a 7705, i am very interested to know how you find the comparison.

Cyprio

I haven't heard the Marantz 7702 M2 but I have heard the 8802. I own the Yamaha CX-A5100 and I believe it's targeted more at the Marantz 8802 M2 rather than the 7702.

Cyprio

It's unfair to make a comparison as I'd not listened to the A5100 before I bought it. I purchased the Yamaha blind, as the lure of being able to buy it from Norway for under £2000 was too good to resist.:) They are both fantastic sounding prepro's. I took a chance with the Yamaha and haven't regretted it, it's a real step-up from a stand alone receiver - as I dare say is the Marantz 7702 - if paired with a good quality amp that is. Sorry I can't really be of more help, though there is a good thread for the CX-A5100 over on AVS.

It's unfair to make a comparison as I'd not listened to the A5100 before I bought it. I purchased the Yamaha blind, as the lure of being able to buy it from Norway for under £2000 was too good to resist.:) They are both fantastic sounding prepro's. I took a chance with the Yamaha and haven't regretted it, it's a real step-up from a stand alone receiver - as I dare say is the Marantz 7702 - if paired with a good quality amp that is. Sorry I can't really be of more help, though there is a good thread for the CX-A5100 over on AVS.
Thanks for your input. What I would like to know is what you felt about the difference between the Marantz you heard and your yamaha? Are you using ypao room correction? What are your thoughts on that compare to Audyssey XT32 ? Many thanks

stevos

Distinguished Member
Still curious with how you get on.

I am curious about which is better the 64bit YPAO or the Audyssey XT32? I have had XT32 for many years and absolutley love it with dynamic eq only enabled, however I have zero experience with YPAO. I wonder if anyone here has heard the new 64BIT YPAO and can compare it to the Audyssey XT32? Many thanks

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a new ATMOS/DTS X enabled processor. I am coming from an Onkyo 5509 and would like to know which one of the two would you choose and why?

I haven't heard either in action, however every dealer I have called have told me Yamaha is better than Marantz. Your help is much appreciated!

Many thanks.

The Marantz will give you better control over subwoofer integration, but not everyone is a fan of the high level calibration of XT32, and it is not tweakable. The Yamaha has more flexibility with YPOA and manual equalization, and you can always eq the subwoofer separately with an external product if you require.

An interesting part of the Yamaha is the DSPs they use. Some people prefer the HD3 DSP over Dolby Surround, as it can work the height channels more. Yamaha also use angle measurements for the Atmos rendering on the A5100.

The Marantz will give you better control over subwoofer integration, but not everyone is a fan of the high level calibration of XT32, and it is not tweakable. The Yamaha has more flexibility with YPOA and manual equalization, and you can always eq the subwoofer separately with an external product if you require.

An interesting part of the Yamaha is the DSPs they use. Some people prefer the HD3 DSP over Dolby Surround, as it can work the height channels more. Yamaha also use angle measurements for the Atmos rendering on the A5100.

Ricky, thank you so much for your input. Which of the two would you consider if you had to choose one or the other and why? Also have you heard the Marantz AV7702 MK 2 or the Yamaha CX-A5100? Many thanks :)

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ricky, thank you so much for your input. Which of the two would you consider if you had to choose one or the other and why? Also have you heard the Marantz AV7702 MK 2 or the Yamaha CX-A5100? Many thanks :)
Not heard either of this years Processors yet, but last year I preferred the Yamaha A3040 over the Denon and Marantz offerings, and my preference this year (so far) is the Yamaha A3050 (that may change once the offerings from Anthem and Arcam come through) ;) (this is just my preference though, and I am sure others would disagree)

Not heard either of this years Processors yet, but last year I preferred the Yamaha A3040 over the Denon and Marantz offerings, and my preference this year (so far) is the Yamaha A3050 (that may change once the offerings from Anthem and Arcam come through) ;) (this is just my preference though, and I am sure others would disagree)

From what I have read and heard from other Yamaha users, Yamaha is apparently the one to go for. Saying that the CX-A5100 is just like the 3050 but better I guess as it has the 64bit processing. My only worry is that I am so used to the Audyssey calibration and the sound of it that I hope if I do decide to go with the Yamaha I won't be disappointed!

I am pretty sure I won't but it's just one of those things that play on my mind :)

Oh btw, Arcam in my opinion is a whole different ball game , but it also comes with a much hefty price tag ;)

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
From what I have read and heard from other Yamaha users, Yamaha is apparently the one to go for. Saying that the CX-A5100 is just like the 3050 but better I guess as it has the 64bit processing. My only worry is that I am so used to the Audyssey calibration and the sound of it that I hope if I do decide to go with the Yamaha I won't be disappointed!

I am pretty sure I won't but it's just one of those things that play on my mind :)

I think you would be happy with either. Both are good, and I doubt you will be disappointed, as adding Atmos will be a good addition on its own.

DodgeTheViper

I am curious about which is better the 64bit YPAO or the Audyssey XT32? I have had XT32 for many years and absolutley love it with dynamic eq only enabled,

Is that because you listen at relatively low levels ?

Have you ever tried switching Dynamic EQ off ?

Well, I used to have both Dynamique Vol and EQ on for years as I prefered the extra loudness then at low volume levels. However I noticed that the Dynamique Volume sounded "processed" and when I turned it off I got used to the sound of just Dyn EQ which I now prefer. I am excited about the 64BIT processing of YPAO but I am just not use to anything other than Audyssey that's all I was concerned about really!

stevos

Distinguished Member
Yamaha also use angle measurements for the Atmos rendering on the A5100.

I think this is the future for Atmos. I suspect Audyssey etc have just bolted on extra channels for atmos, rather than considering that height channels are at a different angle with different reflections etc.

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I think this is the future for Atmos. I suspect Audyssey etc have just bolted on extra channels for atmos, rather than considering that height channels are at a different angle with different reflections etc.

Most definitely. Atmos (and DTS:X) are designed so that speaker positioning can be more flexible. The bottleneck is the processing power within the consumer equipment. As time goes by I expect to see the consumer equipment get more powerful, and therefore be able to work much better with speaker placements away from the normal recommendations.

Yamaha have been using angles for a few years, and have a specific stand for the mic to be able to do this. No other manufacturer does this yet, but I am sure it will come with time..:)

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Just my tuppence worth ........but I'd certainly wait for the new Arcam's before I pulled the trigger on either of these.

indus

Distinguished Member
Just my tuppence worth ........but I'd certainly wait for the new Arcam's before I pulled the trigger on either of these.

The problem is you'll have to wait some time whilst they are released and user feedback is avilable. Given their pretty significant problems with hdmi boards not so long ago I wouldn't be a guinea pig with a new line of their products.

The problem is you'll have to wait some time whilst they are released and user feedback is avilable. Given their pretty significant problems with hdmi boards not so long ago I wouldn't be a guinea pig with a new line of their products.
I think it's going to be the yamaha flagship pro for me.. However the Arcam is very tempting.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom