• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Marantz av7202 mk 2

yorkshire rose

Established Member
Hi I am looking at buying this amplifier, to replace a pioneer lx85 amp. Would it be a straight swap or would I need to buy other devices for it to work? Thanks

DodgeTheViper

Hi,

'Presuming' you've made a typo with the model number and you mean the AV7702 ?

If so, this is a Processor and won't directly replace your LX85. You'll need a multi-channel amp to go with it.

stevos

Distinguished Member
A power amp(s) covering the number of speakers you have.

stevos

Distinguished Member
In a word yes.

So you need 9 channels of amplification.

You could buy for example a 7 channel power amp and then a stereo power amp for the missing channels, or you could go for two 5 channel power amps (1 wasted channel but haho).

Alternatively you could buy something like this, which has 11 channels, so you could go 7.1.4 or just bi-amp your front speakers.

MX-A5000 - AV Receivers/Amplifiers - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

meep

Prominent Member
Is keeping the lx85 an option? Does it still work?

It has multi-channel input and 7x amps that you could utilise for surround / height channels. This would reduce the number if power amps you need immediately and you could replace it over time if desired.

stevos

Distinguished Member
A pretty good idea. Going with a decent 3 channel power amp for the front channels would be a pretty upgrade. Surround sound channels are less important.

yorkshire rose

Established Member
Hi, thanks for the replies, unfortunately I got rid of the LX85.

Is an all in one like the Denon X7200WA the way to go or would the Marantz 7702A with the necessary power amp be a better sound quality. Albeit this route would probably cost twice as much.

stevos

Distinguished Member
It depends on your speakers, if they aren't of the same level then your wasting money.

meep

Prominent Member
I've recently made the move from an AVR to separates (Sherbourne PT-7030 + Emotive XPA Power Amps). Logically and practically, I find this much more sensible and flexible. When all the hoo-ha over height formats and HDCP and HDMI versions settles down, I'll upgrade the processor and keep what are fairly fine amps that work well with my speakers. I expect to keep the amps for years to come.

If purchasing all those over amps seems daunting or expensive, go for a really good stereo power amp (or mono blocks) for your front L/R and pick up a second hand receiver for other channels. It doesn't even have to be modern - you only need multi-channel input capability - it doesn't even need to have HDMI so you can go back many years and get a real bargain.

Good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom