• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Marantz AV7005: No subwoofer output with analogue stereo (aux1) input

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
This is a rather specific Q but thought I'd post anyway as I am currently stumped.

I have a Marantz AV7005 and recently connected something to the AUX1 (front analogue) inputs expecting to get 2.1 output but instead I get 2.0. AIUI bass management is applied to stereo analogue inputs & digital inputs but not multichannel analogue.

Everything is set as expected (speakers = small, bass = LFE, not in pure direct or direct mode) and no amount of twiddling settings is bringing the sub into the mix. Everything works fine for all other connection modes. Any suggestions as to what I'm missing here?

Last edited:

jimfrenchlab

mattkhan said:
This is a rather specific Q but thought I'd post anyway as I am currently stumped.

I have a Marantz AV7005 and recently connected something to the AUX1 (front analogue) inputs expecting to get 2.1 output but instead I get 2.0. AIUI bass management is applied to stereo analogue inputs & digital inputs but not multichannel analogue.

Everything is set as expected (speakers = small, bass = LFE, not in pure direct or direct mode) and no amount of twiddling settings is bringing the sub into the mix. Everything works fine for all other connection modes. Any suggestions as to what I'm missing here?

As there is no LFE in stereo, what is the crossover setting? Most music doesn't get low enough very often for the subwoofer to kick in, except maybe organ pieces. If you set up the crossover to 60 or 80 Hz, you will likely get subwoofer output.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Does you sub have an auto power off - if yes then the lack of low bass on stereo may not be enough to switch it on. Also you could try the LFE+Main setting for the sub.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Try some music and see if the sub is doing anything.
it is working normally with another device playing music. V strange, some sort of connection issue with the other device I was using perhaps? Anyway at least that narrows it down to that specific chain so thanks for the suggestion.

Jase

Distinguished Member
it is working normally with another device playing music. V strange, some sort of connection issue with the other device I was using perhaps? Anyway at least that narrows it down to that specific chain so thanks for the suggestion.

Does seem a bit odd but at least it's working as it should with the other device. If the sub wasn't working with any analog source at all then that would be cause for concern.

How are the test tones being generated? Maybe they're the issue?

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Does seem a bit odd but at least it's working as it should with the other device. If the sub wasn't working with any analog source at all then that would be cause for concern.

How are the test tones being generated? Maybe they're the issue?
I can only assume user error last night as it works fine now :confused:

the signal chain is/was roomeqwizard - usb - art dual usb pre amp - 1/4" to rca converter - aux1

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom