Question Marantz AV amp/ 3d Blu ray player question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mike523442, Jul 10, 2015.

1. mike523442

mike523442
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good afternoon all

I have an issue which Im sure one of you will be able to advise me on.

Ive recently set up a small cinema room in my house, I'm using an Optima HD26 projector, Marantz SR5004 AV amp and a Marantz UD 5007 Blu Ray player, The problem I have is this, Ive had the AV amp for a long time and never really used it, however now i am using it it appears that I can't run 3D through it ? The picture is just not happening with 3D
    I can run my 3D blu ray player direct to my projector using a second HDMI and all is good picture wise only, obviously I cannot get my surround sound
    The question is , is there any way that I can get my surround sound and still use the same AV amp or do I need to buy a new compatible amp?? Ive been told you can buy a AV separation box ? or even use a HDMI splitter but I am really looking for advice from someone who has faced this problem before and, if possible has resolved it ?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Mike

2. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,799
    I had a similar situation, my Old(ish) Pioneer receiver won't pass-through 3D, but luvkily my BD player has twin HDMI outputs.

I'd recommend an HDMI splitter, it's the cheapest solution and I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

3. mike523442

mike523442
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I only have 1 HDMI output on the AV amp, anyone got any ideas on what the best way to connect a splitter would be ? I have 2 HDMI inputs on my projector so could, if needs be run a separate HDMI to run the blu ray only
    Any advice would be appreciated

Mike

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    You could run an Optical or Coaxial from the 3D enabled Source for 5.1 - it's not going to deliver 'HD' Audio though in reality that's not such a big loss unless you have a very decent audio system.

An HDMI 'splitter' is not going to work for you - the splitter simply produces two mirrored copies of the Source signal so the AVR would still not know what to do with the signal.

Joe

5. mike523442

mike523442
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Joe

Thanks for the advice, I thought there may have been an " easyish " fix but obviously not.

The sound when running ordinary blu ray is fine for me and the AV amp runs my Linn DS ok, its is a second room system so Im not really looking for top quality sound

The 3D is mainly for my young daughters benefit, Disneys Frozen in 3D every day in my other room is starting to get a bit much!!!!

I think I will just forget about the 3D for now and look around for a 3D compatible AV amp

Ive seen a few Marantz ones under £300 which would do everything I need

Thanks again for your input