Marantz AV 8802 owners thread

Hi guys n girls, I'm in need of some help. I've just replaced my old Rotel RSP-1098 with an AV8802A, still keeping my Rotel RMB-1095 amp. Almost everything is working fine, barring a couple of hopefully simple issues.

1, when doing the Audyssey setup, it keeps telling me that I have a polarity issue with the right rear. I've checked all the cabling and everything is in order and nothing crossed. Could it just be getting itself confused?

2, I'm also getting some feedback/hum from all the speakers expect the sub (which is not wired thru the amp). I never had this issue with the old RSP-1098 processor. I'm using RCA's and not XLR's to connect the two devices, could this be the issue?

I'm completed the firmware update as soon as it was taken out the box, and everything is connected and working as expected.

Thanks
Wannabe
I had this issue on my 7702mk2 using XLR on my front two only on a Emotiva XPA-5 gen 3. Before this i had no issues on A Sunfire 7201 again i used XLR on my fronts. I simply ignored it and continued with the Aydessey run without problems in sound.

No’1 - ignore it and move on.

No’2 - Do you have any other cables you can try ?

On item 1 ... try placing microphone in mlp in different spot and make sure mic is above any furniture like the back of a sofa. I had the same with my Marantz av8802a but only when the mic was not sitting above the back of my sofa.

On item 2, the Marantz pre-pro are not the quietest design since I had similar when using xlr but ignored it. The Marantz AV7005 before was even noisier.

Last edited:
I have also found the same....i get some buzz/ interference type noise which is only audible during dts-x and lightly during atmos after audyssey setup. Its probably still there before eq but 'boosted' after eq has been done to correct the sound.

I get the feeling its happened since the last fw update...i didnt notice it before.

Is there a way to install an older fw?

Mine is powered through a monster hts1600...would that make a difference?

No’1 - ignore it and move on.

No’2 - Do you have any other cables you can try ?

Not at the moment, I'm waiting for payday to get some XLR's to connect the pro to amp. If it was a cable issue, surely it would only be on a single channel and not all of them?

Thanks for the replies though. :)
Wannabe

Help!
I've lost the sub output on my AV8802a :( Does anyone know what i can try or is it a repair job?

Sub is working fine as its fed via a Velodyne SMS-1, I have tried both XLR and RCA to the SMS-1 without success, tried plugging the sub RCA directly into the back of the AV8802a without success, run the setup wizard 3 times trying both sub outlets (saying 2 subs are installed) all without success. :(

I can switch to feeding the SMS-1 via speaker cable inputs for now, but its less than ideal

Edit
Sorry Marantz, faulty sub after all

Last edited:
I've had my AV8802A for a little while now, using a Rotel RMB-1095 (5*200) amp to feed the speakers... So my question is would I see any gain (other than an extra 2 channels) from a Marantz MM8077?

The speakers being driven at PMC TB2S up front and centre, PMC DB1+'s for the rear. I'm starting to look toward some atmos speakers, most likely some Kef's soon.

Thanks
Wannabe

Last edited:
I've had my AV8802A for a little while now, using a Rotel RMB-1095 (5*200) amp to feed the speakers... So my question is would I see any gain (other than an extra 2 channels) from a Marantz MM8077?

The speakers being driven at PMC TB2S up front and centre, PMC DB1+'s for the rear. I'm starting to look toward some atmos speakers, most likely some Kef's soon.

Thanks
Wannabe

the Marantz 8807 for the money is a capable amplifier, i’ve installed quite a few since they’ve been available, i’m unable to comment whether or not you’d hear a sonic improvement over your Rotel but can i offer another suggestion

the ATI AT Class G amplifiers are some of the best amplifiers i’ve heard, their are other brands of course but from personal experience these really will take some beating

And i’ve heard them with PMC’s as well and overall it was a great sounding system

you won’t go wrong with the Marantz but you’ll do a lot better with ATI

BTW i’m using an 8805 driving ATI amps and it’s blooming awesome

Allan

hi guys - need some help. i have a 110v AV8802A & courtesy of a lightning strike + a not so stable power supply here, the power PCB has been damaged. the marantz service centre here is bemused because apparently, marantz don't sell power pcb's - only the processor one so any repair has to be 'home made'. so - my question is - does anyone have a broken av8802/a that i can buy the power pcb from ? or can anyone help with my problem - cheers....

hi guys - need some help. i have a 110v AV8802A & courtesy of a lightning strike + a not so stable power supply here, the power PCB has been damaged. the marantz service centre here is bemused because apparently, marantz don't sell power pcb's - only the processor one so any repair has to be 'home made'. so - my question is - does anyone have a broken av8802/a that i can buy the power pcb from ? or can anyone help with my problem - cheers....

you'd do a lot worse than ringing John at JS Audio and tell him I said so ;)

Allan

hi alan - thanks for your message. how do i get in touch with John ?

lol thanks alan....

Hi Guys.

I have problems with the HDMI auto switching on the 8802A after upgrading my projector.

I have a LG TV as Monitor 1 and a JVC X7900 as Monitor 2.

Problem is, when DUAL HDMI output mode is engaged, there is no autoswitch back from projector to TV. I have to manually go to the HDMI out menu on the 8802A and select Monitor 1 for the switch to happen. It is like the projector "grabs" the 8802A even though it is turned off. (In the phase between the projector shutting down, and the TV is on, there is a picture trough. The moment the projector shuts down 100% and the fan stops, TV goes blank. )

Previously, I had a X70 projector, and no issues with this.

Any ideas, anyone?

There was a firmware update today? Cant find anything about it. (6461-9161-5285-01). Anyone in the know? It did not fix the HDMI switching issue i have running the update..

All help kindly appreciated!

Hi Guys.

I have problems with the HDMI auto switching on the 8802A after upgrading my projector.

I have a LG TV as Monitor 1 and a JVC X7900 as Monitor 2.

Problem is, when DUAL HDMI output mode is engaged, there is no autoswitch back from projector to TV. I have to manually go to the HDMI out menu on the 8802A and select Monitor 1 for the switch to happen. It is like the projector "grabs" the 8802A even though it is turned off. (In the phase between the projector shutting down, and the TV is on, there is a picture trough. The moment the projector shuts down 100% and the fan stops, TV goes blank. )

Previously, I had a X70 projector, and no issues with this.

Any ideas, anyone?

There was a firmware update today? Cant find anything about it. (6461-9161-5285-01). Anyone in the know? It did not fix the HDMI switching issue i have running the update..

All help kindly appreciated!
Hi

I had the same issue with a panasonic tv and JVC x5500 with the 8802a , the only way i found around it is to use the smart select settings to select either HDMI output depending on which screen I wanted to use, there are 4 settings and it works brilliant once you have set them up which is easy to do.

Hope this helps

Hi

I had the same issue with a panasonic tv and JVC x5500 with the 8802a , the only way i found around it is to use the smart select settings to select either HDMI output depending on which screen I wanted to use, there are 4 settings and it works brilliant once you have set them up which is easy to do.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the suggestion. I have a multitude of input devices, and unfortunately the smart buttons will store everything, and not only the selection of output HDMI. That means that I can only setup Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 for two sources. But anyway, it is a workaround that takes the pain from the primary sources. I wish I could resolve the issue though ;-)

My AV 8802A had a new firmware update today should anyone be interested for themselves. I don't know what was revised though. Anyone know?

Upgraded to this from the 7703. Unlike the 7703 i am having the same Audessy inconsistency as my previous 7702mk2 which i Had to run numerous times until i good my desired results I have run it twice on tge 8802 tonight and stil not the run i like.

The 7703 i got a great run first one first time of asking and again when i upgraded the power amp. Does the 8802 have the older Audessy version.? Also does audessy make a difference on pure audio music. As before i run audessy i listened to.music using the previous owners settings and it sounded amazing. Its Not the same after my Audessy run. I have selected both auto and manual settings on the 2 channel settings menu.

I will run again tomorrow just stuck with my current run for now, but listening to some films and music i can tell that this has more details and speech and vocals are superior to the 7703.

Its the bass impact thats missing, just need with more runs of audessy i will get there.

My only other complaint is no separate option to disable Hdmi control and enable ARC like on the 7703. As it causes isues with my Logitech settings.

Last edited:
I have gotten an unusual annoying problem with my AV8802A, it started a few months ago, and have no idea how to fix it, or why it happends.

During use, it suddenly changes to another input. In the beginning it was usually to my Xbox One input but not it just goes to a random input. It only happends once pr use, but not every time. I thought it in the beginning was something to do with the Xbox, but since it goes to different inputs it shouldn't be that. I don't use HDMI CEC, and turn it off in all the equipment I have that lets me do it.

Anybody heard any others have this problem?

I have gotten an unusual annoying problem with my AV8802A, it started a few months ago, and have no idea how to fix it, or why it happends.

During use, it suddenly changes to another input. In the beginning it was usually to my Xbox One input but not it just goes to a random input. It only happends once pr use, but not every time. I thought it in the beginning was something to do with the Xbox, but since it goes to different inputs it shouldn't be that. I don't use HDMI CEC, and turn it off in all the equipment I have that lets me do it.

If your using hdmi control it usually will default to tv input on mine, i use a logitech harmony so i can bypass that. Unlike my previous 7703 you can not disable hdmi control separately. But i am sure you need CEC enabled to have communication between devices

If your using hdmi control it usually will default to tv input on mine, i use a logitech harmony so i can bypass that. Unlike my previous 7703 you can not disable hdmi control separately. But i am sure you need CEC enabled to have communication between devices

I'm not out to find out how to use the CEC function, only to fix the problem I have that it suddenly switches to another input without I'm doing anything.

I just nothed that about the CEC function, to not get respones about it. It's turned off since I hate how it works (Mostly from my Pioneer time, when they first introduced the HDMI for video passthrough).

I also use a Logitech remote, and it takes care of all of that for me.

The only reason I bough an Xbox is because the HDMI control has to be on for ARC to work, and for some reason it sometimes cuts the sound when using Netflix ect on the TV, and I never found out how to fix that (It suddenly starts to work again, most likely a CEC caused problem in the order that things turn on), So i gave up and bought a Xbox One S instead.

I'm not out to find out how to use the CEC function, only to fix the problem I have that it suddenly switches to another input without I'm doing anything.

I just nothed that about the CEC function, to not get respones about it. It's turned off since I hate how it works (Mostly from my Pioneer time, when they first introduced the HDMI for video passthrough).

I also use a Logitech remote, and it takes care of all of that for me.

The only reason I bough an Xbox is because the HDMI control has to be on for ARC to work, and for some reason it sometimes cuts the sound when using Netflix ect on the TV, and I never found out how to fix that (It suddenly starts to work again, most likely a CEC caused problem in the order that things turn on), So i gave up and bought a Xbox One S instead.
Maybe you have something on that makes the amp input to that signal example sky make sure all is on Stainby apart from the xbox not sure what else it could be. But like i said the 8802 as no separate option for ARC and hdmi control. I have similer issues defaults to tv input. where on the 7703 you could turn of hdmi control while leaving ARC on which worked flawlessly.

I had this on my 7010. It was the physical input dial on the front being sort of between 2 values. Give it a bit of a turn. I never use mine but it'd somehow been knocked and caused this issue.

Good to see this pro still getting updates.

Powered on last night to be welcomed by a FW update to 'improve overall performance and stability'.

Anyone have any detailed info as to what exactly has been updated?

I've got the 8802 and 8077 coming next week all being good, replacing my AVC A1HDA upgraded all in one box will run on my current 9.2 set up first to get comparisons then add ceiling speakers x 4 once I have worked out final speaker positions this is a lounge set up and due a re decorate so will take the opportunity to re root all the cables into the walls and ceilings any recommendations for Atmos ceiling speakers? I may buy a second 8077 amp to run the extra channels but will wait until I hear the combo first hoping it will be a big improvement on the AVC that I have had for around 5 years from new had the 3d upgrade around 3 years ago.

Mick
ohh... I replaced a A1HD with the 8802A, and it was disappointing from a sound standpoint.. Actually, I kind of like the base sound of the 8802A, but the noise... its just not up to the standard you are used to with the A1...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom