Marantz AV 8802 owners thread

Not sure 100% but since the update I'm getting picture blinking every now and then.

Nothing changed in my setup since....

I watch everything through my oppo, even sky, which is routed through the avp.

Anyone else?

No, stable so far here. I am running fiber optic HDMI from the 8802 to the LG OLED TV and a HDBase-T extender to the Projector.

Not sure 100% but since the update I'm getting picture blinking every now and then.

Nothing changed in my setup since....

I watch everything through my oppo, even sky, which is routed through the avp.

Anyone else?

Stable here also, all good!

I did a factory reset and appears to be ok. Maybe coincidence or could have been the oppo playing up.

Something else I need help, i can't seem to get any audio from my tv YouTube app out of my 8802a - the avp display shows tv audio. Viera link on the tv is turned on and hdmi pass through on the avp is also on. If i turn viera link off audio comes out of the tv speakers. Previously worked flawlessly.

Pretty sure its all wired up properly since I'm getting a picture (hdmi) and every source works fine through the avp. Haven't been able to get this working since connecting everything up after the house move.

I did a factory reset and appears to be ok. Maybe coincidence or could have been the oppo playing up.

Something else I need help, i can't seem to get any audio from my tv YouTube app out of my 8802a - the avp display shows tv audio. Viera link on the tv is turned on and hdmi pass through on the avp is also on. If i turn viera link off audio comes out of the tv speakers. Previously worked flawlessly.

Pretty sure its all wired up properly since I'm getting a picture (hdmi) and every source works fine through the avp. Haven't been able to get this working since connecting everything up after the house move.

got it sorted - swapped hdmi cable from input 1 to input 2 (which i had always used before) and working fine.

Well my ARCAM AV8 started smoking last night and has finally gone to processor heaven. Had a good 11 years out of it!

So looking to replace fast but won’t be looking at the sort of monies I’d purchased the AV8 for and as such rules out the Marantz 8805. So been looking at the 8802A and prices vary quite a bit. The cheapest place I’ve found it is Peter Tyson and in some instances it is significantly cheaper. Even more so if you get the graded unit (says purely packaging damage and the unit is perfect).

Might sound like a silly question but am I missing something here with it being a fair bit cheaper?

I’d be using it with my ARCAM P7 power amp for now and will worry about additional amplification when I move to accommodate additional speakers (currently running 5.1) and audio set up. I do listen to music but mainly used for TV and movies.

What are your thoughts going from ARCAM to Marantz? Features wise it’s a no brainer... but is there anything sound wise that could disappoint? Also would I regret not pushing the boat out with the 8805 in a few months? Your opinions would be welcome on additional cost v features gained (for info the PT price is £1799).

Many thanks in advance....

My 8802 is configured as 11.1ch for atmos using dolby speakers (upfiring R50's).

I am getting a subtle high pitch buzz/ noise which sounds like interference only on atmos/ DTS-X tracks or thats where its obvious. On DTS-X mode its much louder than atmos. You cant really hear it during content but on a quiet scene you can hear it subtley in the background. The noise is stronger from the atmos speakers without getting closeup but also comes from the tweeter of my LR if putting your ear close up.

When the audio is paused the noise stops - its only there when something is played so i dont think its coming from any of the amps.

There is no cables plugged in to the 8802 that are left unconnected on the other end e.g. spare hdmi for a camera, that could be acting like an antenna picking up interference.

what could it be?

Well my ARCAM AV8 started smoking last night and has finally gone to processor heaven. Had a good 11 years out of it!

So looking to replace fast but won’t be looking at the sort of monies I’d purchased the AV8 for and as such rules out the Marantz 8805. So been looking at the 8802A and prices vary quite a bit. The cheapest place I’ve found it is Peter Tyson and in some instances it is significantly cheaper. Even more so if you get the graded unit (says purely packaging damage and the unit is perfect).

Might sound like a silly question but am I missing something here with it being a fair bit cheaper?

I’d be using it with my ARCAM P7 power amp for now and will worry about additional amplification when I move to accommodate additional speakers (currently running 5.1) and audio set up. I do listen to music but mainly used for TV and movies.

What are your thoughts going from ARCAM to Marantz? Features wise it’s a no brainer... but is there anything sound wise that could disappoint? Also would I regret not pushing the boat out with the 8805 in a few months? Your opinions would be welcome on additional cost v features gained (for info the PT price is £1799).

Many thanks in advance....

if you are going for the damaged packaging one please ensure they double box it. From experience marantz AVR and AVP packaging is flimsy to say the least and no where as robust as their hifi gear.

Not sure if this is relevant to this thread but I have an AV8801 and the Spotify app was out of action while being updated for the past 3 months. Last night the amp did an update and the app is back and working via my iPad Marantz controller. Might be the same for the same for the 8802A and other Marantz products?
Also is it worth changing from an 8801 to an 8802A if not interested in Atmos?

My 8802 is configured as 11.1ch for atmos using dolby speakers (upfiring R50's).

I am getting a subtle high pitch buzz/ noise which sounds like interference only on atmos/ DTS-X tracks or thats where its obvious. On DTS-X mode its much louder than atmos. You cant really hear it during content but on a quiet scene you can hear it subtley in the background. The noise is stronger from the atmos speakers without getting closeup but also comes from the tweeter of my LR if putting your ear close up.

When the audio is paused the noise stops - its only there when something is played so i dont think its coming from any of the amps.

There is no cables plugged in to the 8802 that are left unconnected on the other end e.g. spare hdmi for a camera, that could be acting like an antenna picking up interference.

what could it be?

if you are going for the damaged packaging one please ensure they double box it. From experience marantz AVR and AVP packaging is flimsy to say the least and no where as robust as their hifi gear.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated. I see you have the 8802A would you recommend a purchase now that the 8805 is out eg. Features v price saving?

Thanks for the advice, appreciated. I see you have the 8802A would you recommend a purchase now that the 8805 is out eg. Features v price saving?

to be honest i havent looked too much into the 8805 for fear of my wallet! There are some great deals on the 8802A at the moment. Before i went the the pre/pro route i had the marantz sr7008 AVR which was lacking for music. The 8802A was a good step up.

If the 8802A has the features you need, covers the channels you are going to use now and in the future then id say go for it and save some cash. You could put it towards speakers or another power amp.

i am happy with the 8802A at the moment, i dont find it lacking for me and im running a 5.1.2 setup. the most i will be doing over the course of the year as adding 2 more surround channels.

Probably has been asked before, but how would this compare to a denon x7200 that already has power amps for all the base speakers?

Thinking of changing to this or a Arcam 550 (running a full 7.2.4 setup), but undecided as my room already sounds pretty damn awesome.

to be honest i havent looked too much into the 8805 for fear of my wallet! There are some great deals on the 8802A at the moment. Before i went the the pre/pro route i had the marantz sr7008 AVR which was lacking for music. The 8802A was a good step up.

If the 8802A has the features you need, covers the channels you are going to use now and in the future then id say go for it and save some cash. You could put it towards speakers or another power amp.

i am happy with the 8802A at the moment, i dont find it lacking for me and im running a 5.1.2 setup. the most i will be doing over the course of the year as adding 2 more surround channels.

Thanks for that... well took the plunge with Peter Tyson and had a bit of a result! They have reduced the model to £1799 across the board now (so not graded) but noticed they had a make me an offer link. Filled the online form in last night with a cheeky offer £200 cheaper and couldn’t believe it when they responded at 10pm yesterday. Didn’t get the £200 off but they knocked another £100 off so well pleased!

Thanks for that... well took the plunge with Peter Tyson and had a bit of a result! They have reduced the model to £1799 across the board now (so not graded) but noticed they had a make me an offer link. Filled the online form in last night with a cheeky offer £200 cheaper and couldn’t believe it when they responded at 10pm yesterday. Didn’t get the £200 off but they knocked another £100 off so well pleased!
What a bargain!

I agree an absolute bargain

Has anyone compared the Marantz dacs with the upgraded Oppo 105/205 player through the Marantz with pure direct and if so which had the better sound quality for music.

thanks

I can't see such link on Peter Tyson site can you help me navigate to it?

Do you mean the box with " seen a better offer"? You need to provide them where did you seen it cheaper though

You are right it has changed. It used to be make us an offer. Try emailing [email protected] and ask for Matthew. Say a friend made an offer of £100 off and ask if you can do the same.

Well I’m loving my new toy and can’t wait to go full Atmos but unfortunately not until I move! I don’t know if it’s usual but I find the unit gets quite hot. It is in an AV cabinate which when in use I have the doors open. So to be on the safe side I’ve just ordered one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/AC-Infinit...qid=1523694408&sr=8-1&keywords=ac+infinity+t8

Has anyone an idea of what temp I would set auto sensor for? Don’t want to be too low and have fan running 24/7 but don’t want to be too high and defeat the object of cooling and hopefully prolonging the life of the unit.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi swall101

I run two sets of these in two cabs a twin in a cab with a M8077 for heights and a ATI for all mains along with the 8802a I used to run two M8077 amps which got bloody hot using the ATI has lowered the combined temp but without the fans it would still get well over 120+ I have always had mine set at 82 and find that about right they do make a little noise but personally got used to them fairly quick and to be honest they are not as loud as my Sony VW550es.
I use a single in my Nas cabinet which also houses my Blu Ray player and Zappiti player also set at 82 never had any over heating issues in either cab.

Mick

Hi swall101

I run two sets of these in two cabs a twin in a cab with a M8077 for heights and a ATI for all mains along with the 8802a I used to run two M8077 amps which got bloody hot using the ATI has lowered the combined temp but without the fans it would still get well over 120+ I have always had mine set at 82 and find that about right they do make a little noise but personally got used to them fairly quick and to be honest they are not as loud as my Sony VW550es.
I use a single in my Nas cabinet which also houses my Blu Ray player and Zappiti player also set at 82 never had any over heating issues in either cab.

Mick

Hi Mick... that’s great thanks, appreciate the advice. It arrives tomorrow (ordered on Amazon Prime) so guessing its pretty standard to set up. Looks like with the smart mode it’s set and forget with the unit regulating airflow according to temp. Sorry stupid question I probably know the answer... 82f or 82c?

Thanks

82f. I use Auto setting it seems to run the fans less but just try the different settings and see what you prefer. Installation is very simple the hardest part is making holes in the cab unless you have an air gap that it will fit ideally in the rear top of the cab.

Mick

Hi guys n girls, I'm in need of some help. I've just replaced my old Rotel RSP-1098 with an AV8802A, still keeping my Rotel RMB-1095 amp. Almost everything is working fine, barring a couple of hopefully simple issues.

1, when doing the Audyssey setup, it keeps telling me that I have a polarity issue with the right rear. I've checked all the cabling and everything is in order and nothing crossed. Could it just be getting itself confused?

2, I'm also getting some feedback/hum from all the speakers expect the sub (which is not wired thru the amp). I never had this issue with the old RSP-1098 processor. I'm using RCA's and not XLR's to connect the two devices, could this be the issue?

I'm completed the firmware update as soon as it was taken out the box, and everything is connected and working as expected.

Thanks
Wannabe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom