Marantz amp but can't get 5.1 sound?

themitch

Standard Member
I must be doing something obvious wrong, but I can't figure it out?

I have a Marantz NR1403 connected to an old Bose Acoustimass.(the one with the little cube speakers and big woofer) and a Samsung QE65Q90 TV. I have 3 of the cube speakers by the TV (Left, right and centre) and then I have 2 non Bose speakers on the ceiling at the back of the room. I have tried connecting the TV sound using an optical cable and hdmi arc, makes no difference.

My problem is no sound comes out the rear speakers?!? When I get the amp to test itself, sound comes out, so at least I know they're connected, but when I play a 5.1 movie on Netflix or a YouTube 5.1 test video, the rear sound comes out the front speakers.

What am I missing? Is there anything I can try, or do I need to bite the bullet and get an AV person in to diagnose?

Thanks for any ideas

M

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
This could be any number of things from the rear speakers being turned off within the amp to the speakers not being wired up correctly

Can I ask, how long have you owned the system and did it ever work or have things just stopped working?

I'd also take a photo of the rear of the amp and Bose Subwoofer to show how you have wired things up so more people will be able to assist you in your quest to get the audio to start :)

themitch

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply. Good idea about adding pictures, although not sure if the attached helps?

The rear speakers have never worked, I don't think.

Attachments

• IMG_20211123_123743.jpg
    IMG_20211123_123743.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20211123_123700.jpg
    IMG_20211123_123700.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211123_123609.jpg
    IMG_20211123_123609.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20211122_204445.jpg
    IMG_20211122_204445.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20211123_123450.jpg
    IMG_20211123_123450.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 28

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd sart by not connecting all the speaker terminal outputs on the AV receiver to the terminals on the Bose sub. Wire the speakers directly to the AV receiver and connect the AV receiver's sub pre out to the Boxe sub.

Use the AV receiver's own integral bass management as opposed to filtering the outputs to the speakers via the Bose unit.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I suspect it be it'll be how they have been wired and as the amp hasn't detected a sound, it will have switched the rear speakers off

Ordinarily, the simple way to see if the speakers are making a sound is to use an "AAA battery" and create a circuit. The problem I see here though is that all the speaker cables go towards the Bose subwoofer and then you have some further speaker cabling going from it to the speakers. This means that the subwoofer has a crossover as Bose speakers are really tweeters and use the woofer to create the main midrange and depth from it to fool the ears

Because of this, I just wonder if there is enough power going from it to the speakers thus explaining why they could be turned off in the amp

Now my suggestion would have been to wire the rear surrounds directly to the Marantz, but as I've never really owned a Bose system or tried creating a hybrid solution, I'm not sure if this will affect how it works and maybe someone who has done this can clarify. But I'm quite sure this is what you need to do

What is also making this harder is the speaker terminations have RCA plugs which means they're not designed to plug into the traditional speaker connections on the rear of the Marantz. You could try stripping the cables and plugging them into Marantz, but I've no idea what that cable is like and you may find it's not good enough to work with the speakers or the terminations because is so thin

Did someone install it for you?

P.S. It seems the cables and plugs are wired the opposite way round to what I have commented, so you should be able to check the speakers using the battery

themitch

Standard Member
Hmmm, interesting. I took the Bose from my old house, where it all worked fine. But this time I wanted to have the rear speakers in the ceiling rather than on the wall behind me, so I substituted two of the cubes for some good ceiling speakers. I had it all installed when I recently did some refurb on my house, so the builders laid the cabling in the walls/ceiling. They must have wired the ceiling speakers using the old Bose cube wires?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Do try to the "AAA Battery" test to see if each speaker makes a sound. What it will not help you wish is phase, but the Marantz maybe able to detect that if enabling you to correct it if need be.

I'm sure the issue will be what I've said unless the cables have been wired wrongly which will create a headache as you'll need to look at what's been done

themitch

Standard Member
Just having another look at the back of the woofer, the cables going to the speakers look like normal cables in a special plug for Bose, can't they just be disconnected from the grey adapter and plugged into the amp?

Attachments

• IMG_20211123_131552.jpg
    IMG_20211123_131552.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211123_131637.jpg
    IMG_20211123_131637.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 27

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I'd double check were the speaker cable go into the plug as I feel there will be a couple of screw to remove the wire (Not 100% sure though, but I seem to remember something). Do take notes and photos just in case you have to place things back

themitch

Standard Member
I took the wires out if the grey Bose adapter and connected directly to the back of the amp for rear right speaker. Made no difference. Then I got a AAA battery and touched one end to negative and the other end to positive and the right ceiling speaker crackled. Which is a good sign, I'm guessing? But has that helped work out why no sound comes from the rear speakers when watching TV?

Attachments

• IMG_20211123_134742.jpg
    IMG_20211123_134742.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 28

themitch

Standard Member
I put the wires back into the little Bose plug and instead of putting it into the rear right socket on the back of the Bose woofer, I switched it for the front socket. Then I replayed the 5.1 test video on YouTube and when it got to the test for the front speaker, it came out of the rear speaker. So that means the rear speaker definitely works, the wires are taking the sound, but something is failing on the signal when it is an actual rear sound?!? I'm baffled??

dante01

Distinguished Member
Go into the speaker configurations on the AV receiver. In the entry for BACK SURROUNDS, ensure that this setting isn't set to NONE.

Jay53

OP said at the beginning that all 5 speakers worked when running test which would indicate the wiring is fine.

Back surrounds on a 5.1? I thought they are just called surround R + L :)

I'd be wary of YouTube as most Youtube apps/devices don't support 5.1 and whilst the video might say 5.1 test it's only recently as this summer that 5.1 support was added. I.e video uploaded may have been 5.1 but YouTube more than likely converted it to stereo before it was available to download ;)

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
OP said at the beginning that all 5 speakers worked when running test which would indicate the wiring is fine.

I'd be wary of YouTube as most Youtube apps/devices don't support 5.1 and whilst the video might say 5.1 test it's only recently as this summer that 5.1 support was added. I.e video uploaded may have been 5.1 but YouTube more than likely converted it to stereo before it was available to download ;)
That was in the last place it was setup. Then they moved and replaced the original Bose speakers with two in-ceiling speaker.

I’m fairly sure the setting for the rear speakers in the Marantz are now switched off as one speaker has crackled. Plug both rear speakers (none Bose speakers) into the rear of the Marantz and re-run the room eq system. This should switch the channels back on.

Again, my real concern over this route is it’s a hybrid Bose system and I’m unsure if it requires all the speakers to be connected in to the Bose woofer to reduce any unwanted damage. It’s not something which people normally do with Bose and because of the crossover within the woofer, the signal isn’t good enough to power the in-ceiling speakers hence your dilemma with them not working

If the rear channels are switched on in the amp, then what you have done has already caused some issues with the Marantz hence it not working which is not what you want to hear. Fingers crossed for you

dante01

Distinguished Member

Well that is interesting because you cannopt have a 5.1 setup inclusive of back surrounds.

THe surrounds would have to be connected to the terminals marked SURROUNDS and not BACK SURROUNDS in such a setup.

The only time you'd have surrounds connected to the back surround terminals is in a 7.1 setup.

Jay53

Well that is interesting because you cannopt have a 5.1 setup inclusive of back surrounds.

THe surrounds would have to be connected to the terminals marked SURROUNDS and not BACK SURROUNDS in such a setup.

The only time you'd have surrounds connected to the back surround terminals is in a 7.1 setup.

Just messing about.

You mentioned checking back surrounds is not set to none on an avr that is only 5.1 ;)

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes and the OP suggests that he's connected the ceiling surrounds to the back surround terminals. THese will not be engaged if he;'s only a 5.1 setup.

Basically, ensure the surrounds are connected to the terminals labelled SURROUND and not those labelled BACK SURROUNDS.

Jay53

Yes and the OP suggests that he's connected the ceiling surrounds to the back surround terminals. THese will not be engaged if he;'s only a 5.1 setup.

Basically, ensure the surrounds are connected to the terminals labelled SURROUND and not those labelled BACK SURROUNDS.
He has a marantz nr1503 avr It only has 5.1 outputs and says surround R+L

The op only mentions connecting them to the right rear on the back of the acoustimass as that's how it's labeled on these 5.1 Bose systems as I have one myself along with two additional cubes that are wired directly into my 7.1 amp and set to small.

dante01

Distinguished Member
okay then, so the issue isn't anything to do with connecting the speakers to the wrong terminals then/

themitch

Standard Member
Go into the speaker configurations on the AV receiver. In the entry for BACK SURROUNDS, ensure that this setting isn't set to NONE.
I think you cracked it! It seems the centre speaker also wasn't working, which made me wonder if the amp was fixed on some sort of stereo mode. I've played about with the amp set-up and changed it to some sort of 'Direct' setting, and now the rear and centre speakers have burst into life. Hurrah! Thank you all for helping. It's been annoying me for months!

Jay53

OP which 5.1 test did you use?

If you search for test pattern (test doesn't bring it up for some reason) on Netflix there are 4 series of them. Series 1 episode 1 is fine and it will run through left, right, centre, sub, left surround, right surround in that order.

Just tried it via Netflix app on Samsung q85r and it worked fine using arc to my Yamaha v667 which says on the front it's recieving Dolby digital+ along with 5.0 speaker icons lit up (avr set to large all channels except back surrounds which are set to small) These then go out to the acoustimass which filters the output and sends the rest out to the 5 cubes connected to it. Mh remaining two cubes are connected directly to the avr (and not used by Netflix) hence the all large, except back surrounds set to small, no sub config on the avr.

Yours avr should be set to large speakers for left/right/centre left/right surround and no sub

Hope that helps ascertain what you have.

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I think you cracked it! It seems the centre speaker also wasn't working, which made me wonder if the amp was fixed on some sort of stereo mode. I've played about with the amp set-up and changed it to some sort of 'Direct' setting, and now the rear and centre speakers have burst into life. Hurrah! Thank you all for helping. It's been annoying me for months!
Glad to hear you've got it working. How have you wired it up this time? Also running the amp in Direct switches certain features off, so do familiarise yourself with the manual. If you have the manual, please have a look at page 38 onwards, if you have misplaced it, Marantz have a downloadable version here - Select the: NR1403U-ENG-UG-CD-ROM-V00 on a computer where you'll have to unzip the file to find the official PDF manual

themitch

Standard Member
Glad to hear you've got it working. How have you wired it up this time? Also running the amp in Direct switches certain features off, so do familiarise yourself with the manual. If you have the manual, please have a look at page 38 onwards, if you have misplaced it, Marantz have a downloadable version here - Select the: NR1403U-ENG-UG-CD-ROM-V00 on a computer where you'll have to unzip the file to find the official PDF manual
Thanks Shane! Sound is definitely different in Direct mode, but at least it's make use of all the speakers now

themitch

Standard Member
OP which 5.1 test did you use?

If you search for test pattern (test doesn't bring it up for some reason) on Netflix there are 4 series of them. Series 1 episode 1 is fine and it will run through left, right, centre, sub, left surround, right surround in that order.

Just tried it via Netflix app on Samsung q85r and it worked fine using arc to my Yamaha v667 which says on the front it's recieving Dolby digital+ along with 5.0 speaker icons lit up (avr set to large all channels except back surrounds which are set to small) These then go out to the acoustimass which filters the output and sends the rest out to the 5 cubes connected to it. Mh remaining two cubes are connected directly to the avr (and not used by Netflix) hence the all large, except back surrounds set to small, no sub config on the avr.

Yours avr should be set to large speakers for left/right/centre left/right surround and no sub

Hope that helps ascertain what you have.
Thanks, I gave the Netflix test pattern a go, which was weird, but worked.

I don't seem to be able to set my speakers to large on my amp, just 'small' or 'none'?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Perlisten Audio launches loudspeaker ranges in UK
  • By Andy Bassett