1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 9200 or denon 3803 which is better

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mohtfan, Jan 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mohtfan

mohtfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I am looking for a new amp to go with my marantz 8300 dvd player and infinity ref61MKII (6ohm) speakers. I see the 9200 is on sale now but still costs ~ 1000 euro more than the denon 3803. The only real plus is the audio delay in the denon for pal progressive when it comes to basic specs. But for better sound and a better match for my setup i do not know if the marantz is really better nor if its worth the diff. in price. All comments are wellcome

Mohtfan

2. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really can't compare these units. They are in a whole diferent league.

The Denon 3803 is comparable to the lower Marantz models not the 9200. The latter is comparable to the Denon AVC-A1 SR, Pioneer AX-10 etc.

You should listen to several brands in the same price range of the Denon 3803 and then decide what suits you the most in sound quality, flexibility, features etc.

Hope this helps.

3. mohtfan

mohtfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the marantz 9200 so much better than the denon 3803 that you reckon one cannot compare both? In which case you are indirectly saying go for the 9200 if you can afford it. This is something playing in my head, I basically want comments to help me decide on the 2 as its 80% for the 9200 at the mo.

4. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I am not saying go for the 9200. If you have decided to audition some Receivers or Intergrated Amps you shouldn't compare apples with pears. Search on the net for reviews of the receiver or amp you think suits your taste. Make an appointment with a dealer(s) and listen to the different brands/types on both hometheater and 2 channel music and see what you like best.

If you can afford it go for seperates. I myself have a Denon AVC-A1 SR and am planning to upgrade to seperates in the years to come. First a decent two channel amp, then more power amps and finely a pre/pro.

You can for instance search this forum or other hometheater forums what experiences they have with the several brands/types. For instance look at http://www.audioreview.com

Most important listen with your own ears!!! Don't let retailers fool you into buying a far more expensive product than you are willing to buy. Because they say it's better doesn't always make it true.

If you don't hear the difference between several receiver/amps buy the cheapest.

Greetz
    Armand

5. mohtfan

mohtfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am just worried if I wait too long I will miss the sales and the full price is too much for me (new models should be out soon). Thanks for the link. I just want somthing that will bring forward all the nuances recorded. This is what the marantz dv8300 did, so I want the same again to happen with the receiver.

6. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case listen to the 9200, Denon AVC-A1 SR and the Pioneer AX10. The can be had for much more attractive prices in Germany.

You should be able to get an AVC-A1SR or a Pioneer AX10 for 1500 Euro less than in Holland. The Marantz I don't know.

Good Luck !!!

7. mohtfan

mohtfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thanks