Marantz 8805 owners thread

I’ve one of those in my kitchen setup with an amp hat too.

maybe I’ll need to keep the external Dac after all, but it’d be an interesting test

thsnks

If product launches/announcements continue as they have done, and that’s a big ‘if’, the 8805 could see a successor next year.

If product launches/announcements continue as they have done, and that’s a big ‘if’, the 8805 could see a successor next year.
Fingers crossed 🤞

What it would offer over previous models ‘may’ be marginal. But given that those previous models don’t really get discounted by that much, I think I’d be inclined to hang on to see what happens.
there is also comment be likely late 2022 or 2023 in reality...which is still far away...

i am not sure id see the point in a mild refresh style update ...if all they are adding is more hdmi ports or or newer gen hdmi 2.1 the other thing likely is audyssey pro come back...not sure be much else

other thing on horizon is classe processor ie ssp600 replacement ...now under the sound united wing...this will be rather interesting ... but probably placing at a price above the av8805 i suspect ...

there is also comment be likely late 2022 or 2023 in reality...which is still far away...

i am not sure id see the point in a mild refresh style update ...if all they are adding is more hdmi ports or or newer gen hdmi 2.1 the other thing likely is audyssey pro come back...not sure be much else

other thing on horizon is classe processor ie ssp600 replacement ...now under the sound united wing...this will be rather interesting ... but probably placing at a price above the av8805 i suspect ...

Given the latest stereo pre in the delta series is £10k I would have thought that it would be a lot more than the marantz. I'd expect it to launch at £15k+ which prices it above it's competition.

The normal timeline would suggest 2022 but 2023 could be most likely.

As for model updates. Plenty of AVR’s get a “refresh” almost every year and some with seemingly very little change. But Processors aren’t subject to this frequency so their updates are usually more useful/relative.

I’m keen to see what does come along though.

The normal timeline would suggest 2022 but 2023 could be most likely.

As for model updates. Plenty of AVR’s get a “refresh” almost every year and some with seemingly very little change. But Processors aren’t subject to this frequency so their updates are usually more useful/relative.

I’m keen to see what does come along though.
agree... the processors certainly dont follow same template... what they do seem to follow is tech release on the AVRs... so tried and tested on the mules in the customer base first :D its smart thinking ...that ways you dont have the flagship sporting flakey new bleeding edge tech :D

one thing sound united hasn't done is follow the mighty denon A1 that its released a new model every 10 years for 30 years...2008 was the last A1 release... next one should have been 2018

so something in flagship is due.. whether its a denon, marantz or classe is anyones guess.. we do know a classe is coming and hey they might even do a base flagship and release in 3 flavours ....ie variants to suit different slices of market... the classe fans, denon A1 and those that like subtle difference with the marantz units..

who knows really ... time will tell though...

I doubt we’ll see those days again of the mighty models, I think times have changed. Certainly within a price point.

I doubt we’ll see those days again of the mighty models, I think times have changed. Certainly within a price point.
dont know... dave dauber from classe has definitely said their processor is coming. I cant see sound united investing in a platform just for classe.

definitely wont be working to av8805 price point...that said that has moved up steadily over the years... there can be no doubt the flagship models will be priced suitably :D there is a market there in trinnov, storm, Mcintosh, lingdorf and such but a big gap in price from them and likes of av8805 ... leaves an ideal opening for something in the middle :)

Yeah there’s definitely some middle ground on pricing that has a little bit of an opening. Jumping from circa £3.5k up to circa £12k leaves a bit of a gap. I wouldn’t pay that high price personally.

Last edited:
Yeah there’s definitely some middle ground on pricing that has a little bit of an opening. Jumping from circa £3.5k up to circa £12k leaves a bit of a gap. I wouldn’t pay that high price personally.
the AVP-A1hd launched in us for $6k usd, i know we got the au tax and ended up about $15k aust :D for us ...which converted to GBP is 8.5kgbp groan :D so there is quite possibility of pinging something bang in the middle :)

well my marantz has gone through its metamorphosis form AV8805 to AV8805A
:D

I dropped in start of the week and picked up end of the week (was travelling so happened neatly while away)- very pleased with sound united's service locally. prompt and courteous.

you get a brand new box with As over it...

IMG_2693D.thumb.JPG.e0d0721bab6061f28a7cb2a85ea9ddcc.JPG

unpacking you get a unit that looks like new too with the blue tape... they dont by default apply the front panel stickers like all previous updates (previous marantz and denon processors updates) they are provided stickers separately if you wish to apply (which i dont)

IMG_2695.thumb.JPG.3ce83b84b50f56b130b104c04ea7599a.JPG

all working seamlessly... just had to do basic setup as do with a new unit and fortunately the saved audyssey profile i had in the app just uploaded with out issue and was up and going in no time
:)

all testing with sony a90J (hdmi 2.1 chip set TV) and source xbox series X hdmi 2.1 source all worked without issues... and also tested non hdmi 2.1 sources again no issues. will test more with non hdmi 2.1 JVC 4k projector when get a chance

but so far all good and pleased all has gone smoothly and seamlessly

I notice a new feature...when hit info you get the usual audio info... but if hit again you get video info... nice

see on couple of sources ... SDR and HDR below...

IMG_2703D.thumb.JPG.3ff1f1b915503c3a8600678e157c8011.JPG

IMG_2704D.thumb.JPG.422758ab60751847a86c310c30d5bf3f.JPG

CraZy timings. I was going to attend but will watch the recording now.

This looks good!

Would be nice if it had support for using a Umik-1(and 2) and have proper preset curves like Harman etc.

The cynic in me has a sneaky suspicion only certain models will be supported (although perhaps it will be for all those models that the App works with now). Hopefully I'm wrong on the former.

Would be nice if it had support for using a Umik-1(and 2) and have proper preset curves like Harman etc.

The cynic in me has a sneaky suspicion only certain models will be supported (although perhaps it will be for all those models that the App works with now). Hopefully I'm wrong on the former.
If there is no Umik mic support then whats the point!

If there is no Umik mic support then whats the point!

They did mention in another video that those who still had the Audyssey Pro Kit should be happy. I think they'd be daft not to include Umik support as that's the logical choice for most enthusiasts.

They did mention in another video that those who still had the Audyssey Pro Kit should be happy. I think they'd be daft not to include Umik support as that's the logical choice for most enthusiasts.
they said they'd organise something for those without the kit :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom