Marantz 8805 owners thread

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by The Dreamer, Oct 29, 2017.

Tags:

1. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      So I'm jumping the gun a little here, but after seeing (over on AVS) pictures, err, OK, one picture, of the forthcoming 8805 along with a few snippets of info - I thought this might be a good place to start collating info - initially of course, speculation, but hopefully soon some more solid facts about this new processor.

Eventually, as these come to market and some of us place these in our setups, then becoming a resource for tips and troubleshooting etc.

I'll even reserve Post#2 to use as a repository for said tips etc.

I'm certainly in the market for such a beast, as I've wired for 9.x.4, which this processor can do. At the moment, it's at the top of my shopping list.

Rumoured to be at the same price point as the 8802A, but able to run either 7.1.6, or 9.1.4, release date in Q1 of next year.

Marantz 8805.jpg ^^^ This was seen at a trade show (I'm assuming China, due to the pricing info being in RMB).

Anyone else interested in what this is going to do for us?

2. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    3. kcsun

kcsun

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +52
      looks like an excellent piece of kit to give the Arcam/Anthem a run for its money

kc

4. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      I found another picture on a Chinese AV website - presumably from the same trade show...

6FADCB5E-1A55-483E-B0CB-B499C6143A8C-3598-0000057B369AC1E9.jpeg
      ^^^ This appears to be the Chinese launch event for the 8805.

It will natively support Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro 3D - while the translation says it will have HDMI 2.0a, there is speculation that by the time it gets launched over here, it will have HDMI 2.1 - I haven't delved into the differences, so not sure of the ramifications of 'just' having 2.0a if that comes to pass.

As I say, for me, it's simply the fact that it supports 9.x4 that is the clincher, without having to spend Trinnov money - which I simply would never do!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    5. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      ^^^ Further to my last post; I've taken a look at differences in HDMI standards, and frankly 'just' having HDMI 2.0a doesn't worry me in the slightest.

We're only just entering the realms of 4K, so for the next several years (certainly in the world of 'affordable') I can't see the need for 8K and up; and the difference between a & b standards are so small that it's really not worth bothering about.

So, for me at least, and I suspect most, HDMI 2.0a will do just fine!

6. meep

meep

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +135
      Looks like the upgrade from my sr7010 I’ve been waiting for....

7. scoc

scoc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +391
      Still Audyssey ... no thx. Every other manufacturer has stopped using that for a long time and still Marantz and Denon keep on using it.

For a new higher end processor they should used something like Dirac.

8. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      I don't really care about THX, there is plenty of kit out there that would be perfectly capable of meeting THX specs but hasn't got the badge as it's an extra cost. Granted something with a THX badge has known quantities of whatever it is being measured; but I'm confident that a processor such as this will meet my requirements, whether it has the badge or not.

As for DIRAC, from what I understand it's a seriously capable room correction system, but there is discussion over on an American forum that XT32, combined with their new app is still a serious contender.

I don't pretend to understand it all just yet, I'll have to do a lot more reading, but some are saying that Audyssey should have changed the name of this iteration of XT32, as it is a lot more capable than older versions (sans app).

As I say, that's being discussed elsewhere, and I can't really comment, as it's currently above my level of understanding, but some are happy enough that this model has the latest version of Audyssey XT32.

I wonder what sort of cost switching to DIRAC would have been, as ultimately it's us, the consumer, that pays.

9. Krobar

Krobar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      Agreed, better room correction makes a big difference and IMHO Audyssey is falling behind. I'm a bit disappointed with DMs latest releases, HEOS is of questionable value in the high end / CI market where better (Ableit less convenient) solutions have existed for years.

10. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Rumours are starting to emerge that for the Western world launch, it will have HDMI 2.1; since details of it's sibling, the Denon X8500H, that has just been announced has specified HDMI 2.1.

Not that I'll be in a position to afford any kit that can take advantage of it any time soon!

Edit: Delving a bit deeper into this. It appears that the units will launch with 2.0a, but the chipset being used 'should' be capable of being updated by firmware to comply with 2.1 specs. So, no 2.1 to start with, but a future firmware update (once 2.1 has been fully ratified) to be released at some point in the future!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    11. linnasak

linnasak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +92
      Does anyone know if you can get the balanced outputs replaced with digital outputs. Want to link to meridian audio processor / system. Currently have to use analogue pre outs to analogue multi chan input . Whereas the processor accepts multi channel digital inputs.

Hence doing unnecessary D to A A to D conversions. Also meridian have 16 channel interface box to their digital speakers in the pipeline. This has 16 dig inputs or 16 analogue.

Only processors I can find for former are TRINOV and DATASAT, both at circa £20k, hence marantz would be interesting option

Kevin

12. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Never say never; but I doubt it. Marantz, even at this price point, is still strictly consumer-grade. Your problem seems somewhat on the esoteric side, and I doubt that a volume manufacturer such as D&M would be interested in the very limited market for such a solution. IMO, of course!

13. mossym

mossym
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,817
      Never heard of any of the marantz units offering that

14. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Well, it's up on Marantz's web-site now....

Marantz 8805 - MSRP US$4499

Wonder what that'll equate to here in Blighty?! :rolleyes:

Actually, as the street price for the 8802A is around £2.5K (£2K here & there) - with a Stateside price of US$4K, I'm hopeful that the 8805 will be no more than £3.5K - and hopefully closer to £3K. Certainly at the '3' mark, I'll place my order as quickly as I can!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    15. scoc

scoc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +391
      Not really that much of an upgrade. And really still Audyssey on these units. Marantz will fall behind compared to the likes of Dirac units available in same price range. I've sold my Marantz AV8802A last month due to bad room eq.

16. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      I guess that depends on where you're coming from - for me it's a huge upgrade, 7.1 -> 9.1.4!

Note, I have no experience of either Audyssey or Dirac; I haven't felt the need to eq my room in it's temporary state - it sounds great as it is, and it's only partially treated!

I think once one moves on (up?) from the likes of D & M etc. one enters a pretty niche area of enthusiasts - I fully appreciate that D & M etc. are aimed at the consumer market and am happy to be labelled as such. After 40 years of working in a fairly noisy environment I could never call myself an audiophile, so anything more esoteric would be wasted on me.

I have a fairly rigid budget (which I've bust several times already building my room - Sssshhhh! Don't tell my wife!) so the likes of Trinnov and Datasat are simply not in my future - at all! Even the likes of Anthem and Arcam have priced themselves out of my reckoning.

If you could point me towards a unit that can process 13+ channels and includes Dirac, at the same price point as this Marantz unit, I'm all ears. I mean that - I'm not trying to be clever - I'd be gutted to miss something better - just as long as it's not Emotiva's offering; who knows when that'll turn up?! :D

17. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
      Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,648
      The 8805 will be a very good piece of kit. Looking forward to supplying and installing them.

18. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
    19. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
    20. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Well the first few UK dealers are starting to advertise the 8805, at anything from £3.5K to £3.7K, so not sure what the RRP is yet. As I said, Euro equivalent prices should mean just less than £3.5K, and US prices would equate to less than £3.2K, so hopefully there's a decent amount of movement in the current prices out there on the 'web'.

21. DeathStorm

DeathStorm
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      US prices do not include tax, always remember to add 20% for VAT.

22. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      I know, I spend a lot of time in the States - yes, it's a bit apples and pears - but there are easy, and legal, ways of avoiding paying sales tax in the US, so the price quoted is the price the consumer pays - unless buying in the same State. And all I'm interested in is how much I'm going to end up paying, compared to how much a US, or EU resident, will pay.

Certainly, we should be paying no more than any other EU country, which would put the price at less than £3.5K - and indeed I won't be, I've bought stuff before from Amazon.de - they even honoured free delivery with Prime! Of course, I'd like to give my business to a local dealer - but I'll only do that if I'm not getting that 'Rip-Off Britain' feeling!

23. upgradeitis

upgradeitis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +29
      Hi Chaps,

It seems clear this baby will do Dolby Atmos in full 9.1.4.

However is there any info available yet if it will be able to do Dolby surround upmixing (DSU) at full 9.1.4? In other words utilising the front wides at the same time as 4 overheads? DSU is pretty cool for all our non Atmos BR's we all already own.

Cheers

Sean

24. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Apparently so - equally apparently so is the DTS-X upmixing limit of 11.1, so some speakers somewhere are going to be used when upmixing using DTS, but all speakers will be utilised using DSU. At least, that's how it reads over on the AVS threads.

Here's the manual - I haven't had time to read through it yet, but it may answer your question.

25. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Page 310 of the manual seems to show Wides being available with Dolby Surround (DSU).

26. DeathStorm

DeathStorm
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      I hear what you're saying but it's not fair to complain about the price here being unreasonable just because it has tax applied that you can avoid in other countries.

Given the relative strength of the euro the price does seem a little off. That or the UK price is just out of whack.

27. upgradeitis

upgradeitis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +29
      "Page 310 of the manual seems to show Wides being available with Dolby Surround (DSU)."

Many Thanks!

Sean

28. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Further to my last. The first Denon X8500s have shipped in the States. They seem to use the same processing as the 8805, and have the same limitations listed in the manual.

Initial reports are actually not encouraging, with the first test of DSU showing the same limitations as before, i.e. no upmixing to the front wides.

Given that I’ve been such a fan-boy of the forthcoming 8805, this comes as a massive blow to me - having wired for 9.1.4 and being led to believe that I would be able to utilise such a setup whenever I felt like it.

It was bad enough that DTS Neural-X has been given a limitation of using just 11 channels at once. To find that Dolby Surround has been given a similar limitation, if proved true, is possibly a step too far.

At the moment then, although confirmation is still needed, it looks like the only way to utilise all speakers is with an Atmos, or DTS-X, encoded track - something only a minuscule number of movies possess, or will possess (unless the studios stop buggering around and give us Atmos on our regular blu-rays).

It’s certainly making me rethink whether the 8805 is worth it, particularly with our ‘enhanced’ UK pricing!

At the moment though, I’m sitting here just hoping to be proved wrong.

29. upgradeitis

upgradeitis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +29
      Hi Dreamer,

"Initial reports are actually not encouraging, with the first test of DSU showing the same limitations as before, i.e. no upmixing to the front wides."

Crap, that is a bit of blow if true, or not resolved with future firmware updates.

In addition to all you point out above regarding movies, I am a massive music fan, and absolutely love listening to music blu-rays or indeed just vanilla two channel Hi Res audio from Tidal but upmixed to DSU. In my opinion it is so wonderfully tasteful what Dolby have done with this upmixer for plain vanilla two channel music, that I simply can't ever go back to listening to regular stereo (or 5.1 music), it just sounds so very flat.

If the processing power is there for 9.1.4 for Atmos, then surely it can't be that difficult to encode the software to upmix for DSU, but I guess maybe this is for Dolby to do and not D&M. :-(

Cheers

Sean

30. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,715
      Had a glimmer of good news via AVS, and the Denon 8500 thread. A fluent German speaker has watched a German YouTube video reviewing the 8500 and interviewing a Denon executive. Apparantly, DTS are going to increase the channel count available to 13.1 using DTS Neural X (apologies if the naming convention is wrong), and Denon will incorporate this in a firmware update later in the year.

Which bodes well for the 8805!

So it goes back onto my shopping list!