1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 8200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by joust, Nov 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi All,

I have the opportunity to purchase an 8200 for less that £1000 (for a new machine - these are listed for 1500 new). Question is - how good is it? Where in the amplifier hierarchy is it? Is it comparible to a Denon 11SR, or is it lower in the order, say equivalent to a Sony VA555?

The main increase that I'm looking for is 2ch stereo performance (and no I can't afford a TAG - though I really want one!!!). The Arcam AVR200 was recommended (I only need 5.1 - can't fit any more speakers in the room), but for similar money would the 8200 be better?

Let me have your thoughts guys.

Joust

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 8200 - or indeed any Marantz receiver is excellent in it's class for music. That's one of the main attractions.

I haven't heard the 9200, but What hifi said it was great for music not for movies...but then again I'd sooner eat my own kneecaps than listen to what they have to say. Hifi Choice also liked it in a recent group test, and it got a best buy.

I'd say for that money the 8200 is a good bet.

3. beth0

beth0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can u get the 8200 for less than 1k?

4. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Beth0,

Seven Oaks have one listed for 999 ex-display/ex-dem. Have a look on their clearance section.

Joust