1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 7400/Den 2805/Yam 750 question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chubbyandy, Dec 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Trying to decide on which receiver. Which one (or brand) is known to sound the smoothest and sweetest? I think I could have damaged my ears a little when I was young (Tinitus). Edgy, bright and thin sounding equipment really hurts my ears.

Also deciding on AE Aegis Evo 3B
    Mordaunt Short Avant (MS 906 - fronts)
    Monitor Audio B2 or B4 AV

Which combo with be the best match? I have only demo'd the MS and the MA, in different stores though. Both sounded OK with me. I would like some input on the above equipment as my ears, to be honest, are untrained.

Thank you for your help.

2. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Chubs - I have the Marantz in the engine room of my system and am very pleased with it. My speakers are of the budget variety but apart from a slightly overblown bass (speaker upgrade is next on the list), I have no complaints. The M-S series of speakers should be an effective match (I am considering auditioning the Genie sub sat setup as my next move) as they appear to develop their product range to match Marantz's amplification. Tons Of Fun may appear at some stage to provide a more valid opinion. Amp setups may allow treble adjustment but effective speaker matching is more important. Your ears will be the best guide.
    Hope this helps.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Is stereo important to you? If so, you may want to go for the Marantz.

Although both the Yamaha and Denon are also good in stereo too, the Yamaha is surprisingly so! The Yamaha 750SE is a great amp for the money, and is not bright at all. In fact it's 'warmth' reminded me of the Denon's! The Denon 2805 is a good amp but it's £200 more than the yamaha 750SE.

Try and go for a demo if you can, none of the amps mentioned will have problems running those speakers :smashin:

4. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for all your helpful advice. Merry Christmas y'all!!!

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, just for reference I've got MS906s and a Yam 750 and they sound bloody excellent together! It's taken some playing about to get it all right but I love the warm sound I get from the system - particularly now the tweeters have worn in more.

If you're leaning that way it's a great system :thumbsup:

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I'm still playing with my settings, the problem is that I'm always tweaking. I never seem satisfied :laugh: