1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 7200

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by fabio1605, Jul 1, 2004.

1. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive bought a marantz 7200 amp . on the back it has outputs for 4 speakers and above it says

System 1 8-16ohms
    system 2 8-16ohms
    system 1 & 2 16 ohms

Does that mean i can only use all 4 speaker outputs if i have 16 ohm spekers????

Becuase all i have at the moment is 6ohm warfdale 8.2+ and i was thinkin could i use another pair of them.....

Little confused here thats all

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The internal power supply of the PM7200 is not really up to powering two pairs of speakers at the same time except at very low volume levels and with high sensitivity and high impedance speakers. Although power ouptut is quoted as a healthy 95 Watts inot 8 ohms it fails to increse significantly into 4 ohms, only reaching 155 Watts and I suspect still remaining under 200 Watts into 2 ohms. By comparison my Musical Fidelity A308 integrated amp is rated at 150 Watts into 8 ohms, doubles to 300 Watts into 4 ohms and has been measured producing about 580 Watts into a 2 ohm load. Yes I know it's a lot more expensive but what I'm trying illustrate is that for £250 I would be pleased to have an amplifier that can drive one pair of speakers reasonably well never mind two. What the second set of terminals can be used for effectively is to bi-wire your speakers. If you wish to run a second set of speakers simultaneously then I would suggest connecting a power amplifier to the pre-outs on your PM7200.

3. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanx for your help

can you tell me if my wharfdale 8.2+ 100w 6 hms are compatabile with the amp i have... the marantz 7200