Marantz 7013 connecting to amp with no pre out

deekay37

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys is it possible to connect my Yamaha as501 to my marantz 7013 to run the top height speakers from the pre out to the aux on the Yamaha so I can run 7.1.4 any replys appreciated .
I have this Yamaha redundant and wondered if I could use it ? Can't spend much cash if not is there a cheap amp I could get so I can run all of my speakers as I just added two elac front Dolby speakers.
Thanks

Yes, You could use any of the line level RCA inputs on the Yamaha AS501 apart from the inputs ;labelled PHONO. You'd run the AV receiver's pre outputs to the left and right channel inputs on the intefrated amp. I'd then suggest you turn the integrated amplifier's volume right the way down prior to powering it and the AV receiver up. THe integrated amplifiers volume would need to then be adjusted in order to try aproximate the levels you get via the speakers connected directly to the AV receiver. Once all the amp assignments are configured, you can then run the Audyssey auto calibration which should firther ensure that the speakers are all levelled correctly and will further adjust the level being output to the integrated amp accordingly. Once calibrated. you shouldn't then alter the volume dial on the integrated amp!

Yes, You could use any of the line level RCA inputs on the Yamaha AS501 apart from the inputs ;labelled PHONO. You'd run the AV receiver's pre outputs to the left and right channel inputs on the intefrated amp. I'd then suggest you turn the integrated amplifier's volume right the way down prior to powering it and the AV receiver up. THe integrated amplifiers volume would need to then be adjusted in order to try aproximate the levels you get via the speakers connected directly to the AV receiver. Once all the amp assignments are configured, you can then run the Audyssey auto calibration which should firther ensure that the speakers are all levelled correctly and will further adjust the level being output to the integrated amp accordingly. Once calibrated. you shouldn't then alter the volume dial on the integrated amp!
Thanks , you are a diamond just what I wanted to hear !!

Thanks , you are a diamond just what I wanted to hear !!
Just one more thing do I connect the top height speakers to the Yamaha or the 7013?

I'd personally use the Yamaha integrated to power your front left and right speakers and use the AV receiver's integral amplification to power the heights with. The AS501 has a preftty good 85 watts per channel available to it and this will more than likely exceed what the AV receiver will have if powering 9 channels? I'd also suggest the Yamaha amp will be better in respect to stereo performances than the AV receiver's own integral amplification so I'd prioritise using the external amp relative to your front stereo speakers.

As a side note, I'd also suggest you engage the Yamaha's PURE DIRECT mode prior to running the Audyssey calibration and I'd then leave this engaged while ever using the Yamaha amp in conjunction with the AV receiver. This will bypass the Yamaga's tone control settings.

by default 2020-08-21 at 16.56.44.png

Last edited:
Thanks Dante , sorry for being thick but do I connect Yamaha to marantz pre out section on the back marked fronts and then do I connect front speaker cable to Yamaha or keep it in marantz?

I believe that you set the amp assignment to 11.1CH prior to running the calibration. The receiver should dectect that there's no external amp connected to the height pre outs and should therefore automatically reasssign the front integral ampligication to the height channels.

You'd also need to set the LAYOUT to 5CH & SB and HEIGHT SP to 4CH. Set DOLBY SP to NONE.

I don't own a Marantz or Denon receiver though so you may want to re[eat your question with a related owners thread to just make sure as to the assignments required? It should be possible though with your receiver.

EDIT.

An option to designate which channels will utilise the external amp will become abailable after you set the assignment to 11.1CH. This video demonstrates this:

It is for a Denon AVRX4400, but the configurations would be the same.

by default 2020-08-21 at 17.33.13.png

Thanks Dante you are most helpful I will give it a whirl see how it goes!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom