1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 6200? Replies before lunchtime tomorrow 19th please.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SilverPenguin7, Aug 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Decided to go ahead and get the 5200 in hte end.

All I can say is....WOW!! Outshines the Denon by far (in sound and build) and I am happy to report my sub has come back to life! I am once again a happy chappy.

Only have two questions:

What is the deal with the auto off thing? I turned it off yet at one point this afternoon the amp turned off. When turned back on it switched off again after a few mins. Had a fiddle with the auto off thing, turning it on and off several times an it seems to be fine now. Very odd but if its sorted, who cares! :)

Also, when watching tv etc the volume is nice for normal viewing between around 35 - 25db, yet at the same volume for DVD's things seem a lot more quiet. Have to have it on around 15 - 18db to have the same volume of tv viewing. Is that the norm?

Overall though I LOVE this amp, its just fantastic!!

2. tonytiger

tonytiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the sr6200 and had none of the problems you have mentioned.I have had it around 5 months now and very happy with it.When i audtioned all av amps under 600 this was the one i went for mainly for the 2 channel performance was better etc.

But a dedicated amp for 2 channel stereo is the way to go, i say this because after i got the av amp i still thought 2 channel stereo was lacking and after hearing a mates arcam amp it changed my mind.So i went to my local dealer and auctioned all amps under 1000quid.I Finally just got the Arcam FMJ A22 and this is just night and day compared to the marantz.I now have the arcam driving the front 2 speakers and the marantz doing the rest.

Unless you spend a lot an a amp i don't think any avamp under a grand will deliver quality 2 channel stereo IMHO.

But for your budget i dont think there is a better avamp so yes worth a audtion at least!

btw the remote is pants.

3. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the reply there :)

Dont really want to spend more and dont want to buy two amps so hopefully this will do the trick. Just concerened about findong somewhere that has them in stock! Are they still hard t get hold of or fairly easy to find?

Will call a few places tomorrow but QED does seem the cheapest, although people experiences with them seem to range from good to awful!

prcdirect.co.uk seem to be a good bet as well but its £415 there and there is no mention of them having gold ones on the website (must get gold! lol).

Hope after making my mind up on what I want I dont end up not being able to find one! :(

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hmmm as I suspected, nobody seems to have them in stock! Found one place that has 1 left in gold for £409.

Can't even find the 5200 in gold, again only one place has 1 left in gold for £399!

So, do I mail order the 6200 and pay £409 + postage or do I go for the walk in and pick up today 5200?! I expect these are not the cheapest prices but all the places I called have told me they don't know when they will get more stock in.

Advice anyone?

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probly short of stock because the 200 models are being replaced by 300 models (5300,6300). You can check the spec of the new ones at www.avland.co.uk who appear to be selling them. I'm going to wait for a 7300 to become available for demo.

I guess you'll save a few squid if you can find a 200 though.

Steve

6. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is it worth holding out till these are in stock and getting a new model or does it make more sense to go for the 200 series?At this rate I am gonna be paying £400 for an old model so for an extra £30 maybe the new one os worth going for?!

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how desperate you are!

There's plenty of new models imminent, and most are similar prices or cheaper (or will be within a few months of launch) than the models they replace - they also seem to have more features.

You can't find a 6200 because it's been phased out, and all that's left is the remains of the old stock.
    (that said though, it's not a bad recv'r if the price is right).

Personally I'd wait, but then I'm not in your position.
    If whatever you buy has to be gold in colour, then the 6200 may well be a decent option - budget recv'rs in gold are not that common, and as you've already sampled and rejected Denon - you really don't have that much choice left.
    For the few pounds difference you've quoted, I'd be buying the 6200 over the 5200.

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Decided to go ahead and get the 5200 in hte end.

All I can say is....WOW!! Outshines the Denon by far (in sound and build) and I am happy to report my sub has come back to life! I am once again a happy chappy.

Only have two questions:

What is the deal with the auto off thing? I turned it off yet at one point this afternoon the amp turned off. When turned back on it switched off again after a few mins. Had a fiddle with the auto off thing, turning it on and off several times an it seems to be fine now. Very odd but if its sorted, who cares! :)

Also, when watching tv etc the volume is nice for normal viewing between around 35 - 25db, yet at the same volume for DVD's things seem a lot more quiet. Have to have it on around 15 - 18db to have the same volume of tv viewing. Is that the norm?

Overall though I LOVE this amp, its just fantastic!!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The amp has a wonderful feature that is supposed to detect that there is no signal to the TV input and it switches itself off. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work properly and switches itself off whether there is a signal or not.

It can be disabled in the OSD which is the best thing to do with it.