1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 6200: no scarts...is it a problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pete Callan, Aug 15, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an unopened Marantz 6200 sitting on my desk at work and I was showing someone all the connections at the back of it on the official website.

My colleague noticed it didn't have any scart connections. I checked the higher model 9200 and that had 2 scart connections.

I did a lot of checking around and thought the 6200 had everything I needed but can anyone tell me if I will have a problem as it doesn't have any scarts.

Also, can anyone tell me if this system will give me the ability to have Pro-Logic sound from TV programmes, as well as surround sound from DVDs. Presumably I would need to have some connection direct from the TV to the 6200?

My other equipement is Loewe Vitros 32", Tosh 510 DVD, Panny VCR 630, Mission M73, M7C2, M7DS. Thanks.

2. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this one of the AV Forums famous wind ups ?

3. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No this isn't a wind-up!!

Why would it be a wind-up? You've got me worried.

Can someone please answer my post - it is a serious post and if anyone wants to make jokes, please understand I don't know very much about hi-fi or how these things work.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...

I believe that SCART has an "pass through" system which eliminates the need to switch them manually.

ie:

DVD <-> VCR <-> TV

If you wasn't using the VCR, and you wanted to watch a DVD, then the VCR would "pass" the DVD signal through itself and to the TV.

I'm more of a hifi man... so I can't say for certain.. but it was one of the nifty things I learnt on this forum ;)

Hope that helps somewhat,

-TF

5. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply although being a bit lost when it comes to these things, I'm afraid it hasn't really helped much.

Specifically what I'm interested in knowing is whether the fact that the Marantz 6200 hasn't got any scart connections at the back means that I can't do certain things with it. I don't know what certain things to be honest, I'm just thinking that maybe it can't connect to certain things properly.

And also if anyone can help on the ProLogic query that would be appreciated.

Also if gimli knows it all, please can he tell me why he thought my question was a wind up because I really am dying to know?

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only a few AV amps at the high end of the market have SCART switching, so your 6200 is not exactly unique in this respect.
    It could be argued that it would be handy, but it would add to the cost, and would in most cases mean a larger back panel.

You can't really pass a DVD player signal through a VCR.
    The DVD has a copy protection system called Macrovision, designed to stop VCRs from copying them - it's fairly basic and can be circumvented for those so inclined, but I really can't see that much point - the reason most people go for DVD is the better picture and sound. Anyway, it will cause the picture to "pulsate" bright then dark.
    The other reason is that most VCRs will only support composite video (SVHS decks will do S-video though). This is the lowest quality signal you'll get from a DVD player - and as you have decent equipment, you really don't want to compromise it like that.
    Connect the DVD player directly to the TV, either with a good quality SCART lead using RGB as the signal method, or component leads (YUV) if both the DVD and TV have that system (I believe the 510 has - don't know about the TV though)

As for connecting up the TV for ProLogic (and happily the 6200 also boasts ProLogic2, the modern higher performance version), there are several ways to do this.
    If the TV has audio out phono sockets, then just connect those to one of the amps stereo inputs, and just select ProLogic2 on the front panel - the amp will do the rest.
    The other method is to just connect the VCRs audio out sockets (which you'll no doubt be doing anyway) and watch TV through the VCR. Or if you have Sky, do the same with the Sky STB.

Many people (inc myself) use the AV amp for audio only, and don't bother with the video switching facilities.
    Video switching thru the amp can be handy though if your TV doesn't have enough inputs on it - if that were the case, then you can buy SCART to phono leads, which will allow you to connect SCART sockets on say a VCR to the amp, and then from the amp to a SCART socket on the TV.

I really wouldn't worry about it - the Marantz amp you have bought is as least as well equipped as most others on the market
    in the same price range, and bear in mind that while the 9200 may have SCART sockets, it's also over £1000 dearer.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, your amp is very well specced and will do almost anything you want. You'll soon pick it up as you go along and any questions will get answered here.

S

8. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MikeK and Paiger (I might well be asking more questions!).

Mike: However I didn't quite understand what relevance that had to the scart. Is it because the scart would only be used to connect the VCR.

Anyway I've now brought home and unpacked my speakers and amp and am a bit daunted at the thought of setting it all up. I haven't got any leads so that will be the first thing I'll have to get, although I'm not sure what I need.

I've set up my DVD to the TV via a very good (£40) scart lead. I'm not sure what you mean by using RGB as the signal method. My TV has 3 scarts sockets and I believe the middle one is the RGB one; does it automatically know that it is meant to be using RGB as the signal method if the scart lead goes into that socket?

I assume my TV has audio out phono sockets, as it seems to have a lot of sockets at the back. I note I should connect this to the amp. Can you recommend any particular cable?

I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the VCRs audio out sockets. You say I'll no doubt be doing this anyway! At the moment, I think all I have connected to my VCR is a scart to my cable setbox and an aerial connection.

I note your comments on video switching. I don't really understand what you mean (as Chris Tarrant would say, they're only easy if you know the answers) but I assume I won't have to worry as I have 3 scart sockets at the back of my TV?

Sorry for sounding stupid but to be honest, when it comes to this stuff, I am stupid.

9. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :devil: :devil: scarts....the devils connection :devil: :devil:

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    How'd you know?:p

12. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikeK

JUst to say thanks very much for your detailed response. Everything's out of the boxes and nicely on display, but just not connected yet!

Everything that is, except the rear speakers which I've decided I'm not going to bother setting up until after I move (which should hopefully be later this year). I don't suppose this will cause any problems to the rest of the system, and I'll set the amp for Virtual surround sound in the meantime.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    The pins of evil...........

14. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    SCART's tend to self-destruct with fully wired cables after some time, they just cannot carry the weight. Plus they are overly big and hard to connect when you don't see the outlet and feeling it with your fingers may give you shocks. They're so 70's.

They were made to attach satellite receivers and teletext boxes to a single tv. They were not made foreseeing multiple video game consoles, DVD, Y/C VCR, digital video cameras, computers with TV out, digital terrestrial receivers, digital satellite receivers, interactive TV, PCTV and all of that. Imagine all those SCART's crawling around the room from end to end to connect everything.

I'd like to see a new, IEEE style connector, like the AV connectors on the video game consoles. It is time for the SCART to tip its hat and stroll out the door.

As it is now, we have to live with the SCART connector and look for very clever solutions to live without it. If present, S-video can do quite well when no SCART's are there.

15. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Welcome..............to the desert of the Scart. We dont know who started it, but we know it was us who scorched the pins.