Marantz 6200 Digital sound problem

H

hobbes

Hello all,

just got my hands on a marantz 6200 and am having a bit of trouble getting sound from the dvd player (DTS, 5.1 etc..)
I have connected the two with a QED coaxial cable but when i turn on the DVD and amp and select DVD on the front it doesnt detect anything and when i set it specifically to DTS or DD it still outputs nothing.
Yet in analog on source direct it plays cds from the dvd player fine.
Only thing i can think of is that the front and rear centres have quite a low impendance.
And the funny thing is i had it working (DTS) for a while earlier on but when i turned it back on - nothing.
The test tones also do not make a sound.

And as we all know the manuals are next to useless :(

Shaun

Have you got the dvd output set to Bitstream?? The amp should also have some sort of AUTO mode for detecting any incoming signal, is this switched ON??

Odd that the Test Tones don´t work though.:confused:

You need to go into the OSD set-up screen and set the DVD input to Digital. It sounds as if it's still set to analog. Sometimes if you don't save the changes correctly the amp reverts to Analog which is it's preset default setting when you put it into standby.

I hope this helps.:)

So this morning i took out the two low impendance speakers and lo and behold it started to work, but then as it was playing i went into the setup on the amp, adjusted the dB of the suround rears, went back to dvd input and....nothing :(

Here are my dvd player settings (pioneer 444):

Audio DRC - On
Dolbydigital - Dolby digital
DTS- On
?? - 96khz
?? - MPEG
Digital Out - On

(?? = forgotten name of it)

On the amp i have the dvd set to digital input 3 and the rest are all analogue as that is the only digital input i have.
I also have two phonos from the dvd player going to the analogue inputs (dont know if that matters)
I dont think it is near anything that might cause it to work strangely. The speaker cable however is only cheapo bell wire (until i upgrade) but that shouldnt be much of a problem should it?

Need it working soon as Res Evil should be arriving tonight :)

Shaun

Thats strange.:(

Are all your speakers in phase. All the positve amp conections to the postive speaker connection and the same for the negative. I am not sure this is the problem but it is worth checking. Also check that none of the bare wires are touching each other and causing a short.

It could also be worth completely reseting your amp and starting the set-up from scratch.

Originally posted by hobbes
right i'll try that then but how do you go about resetting this amp?

Not sure on the Marantz, check the manual but usually it involves holding down a couple of buttons whilst turning the power on.

Originally posted by kevb
You need to go into the OSD set-up screen and set the DVD input to Digital. It sounds as if it's still set to analog. Sometimes if you don't save the changes correctly the amp reverts to Analog which is it's preset default setting when you put it into standby.

Have you tried this. I didn't save the changes correctly on my 6200 and it defaulted straight back to analogue.

on the System setup Digital Input no.3 is set to DVD and it is saved but alas no sound.
and even if it was on analog surely i would be able to get some sort of sound i.e. plain old stereo or Pro Logic.

Anyway i've sent an e-mail to hifijunkies and will report back on how it goes :(

Shaun

I got ****ing annoyed changing the input options on my 6200 as I didnt realise that when changing DVD to Dig1 I needed to press OK or it would swap back the second you move to another option.!!!

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom