Marantz 6003 or Onkyo 806?

Orabidoo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a Marantz 6003 or a Onkyo 806. I've not decidec which one to go for yet. Does the Marantz have a build in fan like the 806? Which one is best for music?

I would stay away from the 806 as it has a problem in passing through 1080p, it produces blue dots all over the image. Not a problem if you dont mind being without it for a couple weeks while it gets fixed. Stick with the Marrantz if you like the sound. I would reccomend a Pioneer VSX-LX51, Im very happy with mine.

PS, I would also say the Marrantz is more musical.

I've ordered a Marantz SR6003, I'll let you know when I get it! That is, if no one else has answered your question. I don't think it does though, looking at the back and and photo of the insides (see the AVland website for those pics)

Thx, doesn't seem like it has a fan. Did you ever consider the 806? Why did you choose the 6003?

Dont know for sure if 6003 has a fan but got a 5003 last week and very happy with it. No fan on it and sounds amazing on movies and stereo music.

Did you demo any other amps when choosing the Marantz.

If so, which one's and why did you pick the marantz?

Didnt demo any amps
Went into seven oaks in southampton over christmas period wanting to see a pioneer lx-5090 and got talking with the salesman. Got around to asking him about denons and onkyos around £400-500 and he basicly said that if i listened to a lot of music as well as movies the marantz to his ears was the amp to go for.

now ive had a soft spot for marantz gear since i got a CD 52 about 20 years ago and believed what he said, so when i went in to buy the TV i brought the amp on impulse. Have been really blown away with the sound over my old sony suround amp and dont regret buying it apart from now i have the urge to spend loads upgrading my speakers as i have the gale floor standers that what hifi gave great reviews about around 15 years ago.

Dont go and buy it like i did though, but i think any one whos going to audition amps should hear the marantz in action and dont just stick to the yamaha denon onkyo brands.

The marantz amp is on my list (with Sony 2400ES, Onkyo 806/706, Denon 1909/2309) as an ungrade to my Onkyo 606.

Love the 606 with movies, although the bass makes my wife jump alot, but not overly impressed with cd playback from my Marantz CD63 KI Signature.

Therefore looking to improve on that side, even if I lose a bit of the Onkyo 'bold' way of reproducing movie sound tracks...

I recently bought an 806 which I'm pretty impressed with. The Marantz may well be better with music based on its audiophile pedigree - the Onkyo has a good soundstage and plenty of low end thump but it I would suggest it needs to be carefully matched with speakers and source to get the best out of it for music. I haven't quite got it right yet, although it sounds solid musically considering it is in AV amp. With movies it is another story however. Awesome. :thumbsup:

Regarding the blue dot issue I can't say, as I am running it into a 720p projector, but from a little reading I get the feeling that the issue might have been sorted. If not, Onkyo will fix it quite quickly. I would understand, however, if this is an obstacle too far; for the money being spent you want to trust the product you are investing in. Obviously the best bet would be to audition as many as you can but don't be too swayed by reports of faults - some models sell huge numbers and there will always be some issues and problems: the more sold, the higher number of problems will be reported. It is a simple percentage issue.

Good luck to you whatever you go for.:smashin:

I didn't demo any amps either. I have a Marantz SR4200 and I really like the sound of that through my B&Ws. My dad has a Denon playing through the same speakers (well model up from mine) and in my opinion it doesn't sound as good. That could be down to lots of things though (room acoustics, bi-wiring, etc). I just like the sound of the Marantz so sticking with something that should be pretty safe. Plus it does look lush!

ABTforce4 could you report how the marantz SR6003 handles the B&W's as i have heard they are warm sounding and think that would suit the marantz well. Probably going to demo them with the amp in April if prices dont rise too much as currently some 684 fronts a center and 2 small rears from them is at the upper reaches of my budget if i spend too much when i go skiing in america in march + i have 4 days in vegas on end so i probably will spend way too much over there.

I can do yes. I think the prices are set to rise on the 1st Feb so I ordered mine from Audio T last week for £615.

I currently play my SR4200 through a pair of B&W DM601 S3, along with a pair of homemade floor standing speakers and B&W ASW600. I though the sound from that was pretty good so I'm hoping to be blown away by the 6003.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom