1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 5400

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by higenbs1, Dec 18, 2003.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does anyone know what the differences are between the 5400 and 5400 OSE?

The OSE is about £60 more expensive. Is it worth it?

Also would it be any better than a Denon DVD-2900 for CD replay?

2. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello higenbs1,

If you go to http://www.marantz.com/hifi/europe/ you can compare the standard 5400 and the OSE version side-by-side.

Mainly, the differences come down to better construction and some audiophile quality components. These may well make a real difference to the sound quality - I have heard neither of them.

I would have doubted that the 5400 is better than the Denon DVD-2900 for CD playback. After all, the DVD-2900 is more expensive than the 5400 and has less to do. So, the 5400 is bound to be making compromises somewhere.........

TH

3. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Looks like Marantz are trying to compete with NAD at the £200 CD player mark.

I've heard both the NAD C521BEE and the Marantz CD5400. Both are very good players for the money. I went for the NAD player in the end, as I preferred the sound (it was less bright with my Yamaha receiver and Mission m70s).