1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 5300 v Pioneer VSX-D811

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by susiesutton2000, May 16, 2003.

1. susiesutton2000

susiesutton2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Pioneer VSX-D811 - have really tested it out. it appealed to me because a) 100W/channel and b) 7.1 sound, so that 6.1 discs get "more natural rear centre" sound.

i've just found out that the marantz sr5300 can be obtained for around the same price. should i return the pioneer and get the marantz. the marantz is only 90W/channel, but i don't really mind about 10W too much (but still a little!!).

the main thing holding me back is that the marantz can't split the rear centre into two speakers for a better sound. does this 2x rear centre really sound better than 1 x rear centre. will 90w v. 100W make a difference. is the nuance and features of the marantz better.

some help would be nice, so i can return the pioneer on monday IF required.

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Had My Marantz since Christmas and would not swap it for anything. well nothing I could afford.

It is worth pointing out that 10W is nothing at all in the big scheme of things, you need to double the power to add 3dB most people can not hear 3dB difference, as the human ear is not linear you need about 10dB increase for something to appear twice as loud that is 10x the power. Also as yet 7.1 does not exist the two rear channels on the Pioneer play the same thing (mono).

In the end it is personal taste if you think your amp sounds good and you are happy don’t worry if you have doubts try and listen back to back with a Marantz I love mine but that’s just my opinion.

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I am totally satisfied with my Marantz 4300 both in cinema and music. What I find is very good indeed is the CSII technology which really brings 2 channel music into another level (it creates a true 5 or 6channel sound), much better than DPLII. The power is more than enough for me. I usually use between -40 to -30db and my girlfriend is already complaining about that it is too loud.

And in gold/silver it really looks exquisite.

Wasabi,

4. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does having a pair of rear centre speakers actually sound better to you? Throw marketing mumbo jumbo out of the window, it is just there to sound good to gullible folk. Physically sit down and listen to each setup and decide for yourself.

Only one person can be right when it comes to sound and that is you.

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Why are you considering changing? If you are unhappy with the pioneer then change it. If you think that the Marantz will give you better performance, you may be disappointed. IMHO movie wise the pioneer 811 is (prior to release of 812) the best "budget" receiver (I've tried much of the competition and replaced a Yamaha 630 with one). It's poor with stereo sources, but they all are when compared to dedicated stereo equipment.

I wouldn't consider changing my pioneer for anything less than a Denon 3803 or similar (and then I'd have to have a good reason such as audio delay). It's too easy to start worrying about whether you have the "best" and the answer will always be "no"'cos something always comes along. It's simpler to answer the question "Am I happy with how it sounds?"

6. Desperado

Desperado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can only agree what Wilber is pointing out !
    I also own a Pioneer 811 and iam very happy with the Performace for Music and Film i dont think that a Marantz 4300 or 5300 will beat the Pioneer

Regards

7. susiesutton2000

susiesutton2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Desperado and wilbur - thanks for your replies. i think i'll stick with the pioneer based on your recommendation.s

8. philander

philander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is LATE but...

If the 192Khz/24-bit Crystal DAC is very important to you, then change. Another thing is Marantz has better stereo imaging compared to pioneer, IMHO.