1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 5200 Vs. Marantz 6200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JIT, Mar 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The 6200 is 105W/Ch against the 5200's 85W/Ch but apart from this they are the same except for Circle Surround on the 6200. Would this extra power really make any difference to the performance? I am using the Tannoy R3 series - 2 fronts, 1 centre and 2 rears. I don't yet have the centre rear or a sub yet but am planning to get them soon. So what about the extra 20W/Ch?

2. bousios

bousios

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the 6200 and one of the reasons I opted for this one is circle surround. Do not underestimate this, in many programs (I use lots of sat and cable programming) CS is simply amazing, much better and coherent than PLII. I'm surprised that this has not being discussed a lot in these forums. Theta Casalanca has this as an option which costs more than the Marantz itself!!

I use the 6200 as a preamp driving Cinepro and Martin Logans, I opted on this over the 3802 and I'm really happy at the price/ performance ratio. Again, one of the key motivators was CS. Only bad thing is the remote which is crap but I use my own remote.

I can not comment on the amp section of this amplifier as I'm not using it.

Thomas

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can someone explain what circle surround is to me? does the receiver decode any pro logic soundtrack into circle surround automatically?
    Cheers

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on the circle surround, but I can tell you that you won't notice any difference between 85w and 105w. The difference is minimal power-wise.

Cheers

Laurel

5. JOHN S

JOHN S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    What is wrong with the remote, the guy at the Bristol show on the Marantz stand was raving about this amp and the fact that it has a learning remote & SRS which the 5200 does not.He thought that it was the best value amp on the market.
    I have a 5200 on order at Hi Fi junkies (who doesn't) and am cotemplating cancelling for the 6200 at upgradeheaven

John S

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    After reading the above post I tried the circle surround which I hadn't bothered with before and it sounded terrible (full of echo). Either it is a complete waste of time or mine is faulty. As I am not too happy with PL 2 I think that I may have a fault.

7. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John S

Learning remote is a gimmick. Most people would prefer to source their own. The 5200 & 4200 remotes control other devices anyway.

Only real difference as far as I can see is the circle surround option. Unfortunately not heard it so can't comment.

Cheers

Laurel

8. JOHN S

JOHN S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Laurel
    it does'nt look like the 6200 is worth the extra £100 by what you are saying, but it is available

John S

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well, I think it will be worth the difference. Ian, do you know if you can turn CS on for any pro logic source instead of PL2?

At least it's another toy to play with, so I'll try it out when I get it ;)

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer my own question now that I have my SR6200: yes you can. And I am rather impressed by it, I'd rather have it than PLII. Don't get any of the echoing traits suggested in a previous post btw.

Graham.

11. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We have the 6200 and we purchased over the 5200 because of the extra power and remote sounded good. Well the power is really impressive, even on our pathetic speaker set up (our next upgrade) So for us it was worth it for that but as far as the remote is concerned its pathetic. It hasn't learnt most of the controls on our other remotes so we don't use it at all. As far as the circle surround goes, I quite like it but the wife doesn't and she's the expert as she's an ex cinema projectionist and more of a home cinema fenatic but she does say it depends on taste.

Dave

12. megabyte

megabyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    My first post :)
    I upgraded to the sr7200 from a yamaha 620 last week and think the marantz is just brilliant.I got it from upgrade heaven.
    It's a jump from 90 watts to 110 and it's noticable-the sound is much sharper than on the yammy in my experience.
    The circle surround is what I will use all the time-It's a deeper more realistic sound that pl 2, from comparing them.
    The remote learned the tv straight away.
    Musically,I can say that while the yamaha was good, it's true what I had been told the Marantz knocks the socks off it.
    me a true fan of marantz now :)
    I was told by Justin at UGH that my amp had a newer power supply unit and would not suffer the DTS sound drop outs many complained of lately and having put it to the test no problems there.
    Con

13. stuarthaines

stuarthaines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I upgraded to a SR6200 from a Sherwood 945 (hey, it was the cheapest DD option at the time) and it was well worth it. Upgrade Heaven delivered next day so if you want one I recommened those guys.
    The circle sound IMO is great and a worthwhile option, I use it all the time now after some comparrison with PLII.
    actually I just agree with the post above.
    Stu

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the 6200 have additional preouts that are missing on the 5200 ? Think so.

Anyway, I have a 6200 and yes the remote is not brilliant but I have taught it all my other remotes (except my cable remote which it can't learn), which keeps the wife happy (less remotes all over the sofa). :)

Plus, agree with other comments about Circle Surround. Turns almost any stereo source into 5.1 and doesn't "squash" it the way DPL II does.