1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 5200 vs 4200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonathanos, Dec 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jonathanos

jonathanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used amp to go with a set of 4 mission m72's. It will be used 50/50 for home cinema and music, (mainly dance music via vinyl). Would people recommend the 5200 over the 4200 ? Is the difference just more power?

Or is it worth paying an extra £150 and getting the 5400 OSE?

Thanks for your advice!

2. suicidal_maniac

suicidal_maniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 4400 and its a good amp..I cant tell much difference when using it as apposed to my arcam gear...which says alot

3. ranger1873

ranger1873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    if you use it 50/50 the best bet is to get a seperate amp for music.
    I have a SR 4200 that i used for both a/v and music, i was never happy with the music side from it. The a/v is great, it is only a recever remember....

i got around my prob by getting 2x marantz ma6100 power monoblock amps linked up to the pre-out's on the SR4200 to drive my B+W dm601 front's,(brand new on e-bay :rotfl: ) and the sound stage is now great.

you could do this or got a stereo amp for music like the marantz PM7200.......

hope this helps

4. jonathanos

jonathanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you think the 4400 is worth an extra £100 over the older 5200? To me it just seems to be a newer DSP chip and the circle surround which I wouldn't use. Any others with advice on the 5200? Thanks

5. ranger1873

ranger1873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you won't use it dont bu'y it, "well, that's what the wife tells me :laugh: "
    There is a SR4200 on e-bay now @£52 and a PM7200 @£165