1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 5200 Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mij, Feb 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +806
    I have had the Marantz 5200 for 1 week now, and wanted to know if anyone has had this problem.

I have played several music cd's where the sound has disappeared for 1 to 2 seconds midway through the track, this happens with a digital optical lead, if I switch to analouge it plays perfect.
    I also watched the Pearl Harbour DVD and this happened 3 times with a slight pause in the picture at the same time.

Apart from this I think the amp is fantastic when compared to the Denon 1602 it replaced due to the Dolby dropout problem, and would like to know if anyone else has heard of, or experienced this problem.

I have phoned Marantz UK, and was told to send it back for a service, but wanted to check here first.

Thanks
    mij

BTW-all of my components and leads worked perfectly with the Denon 1602, the only changed item is the amp.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Do a search on this forum and you will find all of the other posts relating to other types of noises that seem the Marantz seems to be prone to.

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've had my sr5200 for about two weeks now. No problems so far. I have read all the threads relating to problems with various models of SR both here and on the US site.

My Sony DVD is connected using an optical link to digital connection 2, s-video connection through the receiver to my Toshiba MT3.

I'm listening closely, waiting for clicks etc, but nothing yet.

4. mankymanning

mankymanning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get a pause in the picture at the same time, does this not suggest it is the DVD player which is playing up?

Do you use the DVD player to play CDs? What model is it?

5. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +806
    As I said in original question, this did not happen with the Denon 1602, the only component that has changed is the amp.

Before I send it back I am borrowing a friends Technics CD player & DVD player (not sure what make), and am going to try them with optical connection, then I will get a digital coaxial lead to try with the DVD players, then at least I know it is definately the amp.

I can duplicate the fault with my Pink Floyd CD (A momentary lapse of reason) track 5, about two thirds in, the sound disapears for about two seconds, if played with the analouge connection it is perfect. this does happen with other cd's as well though.

I realy hope this is not a big problem as I think the amp sounds amazing, and also what can I replace it with for the same amount of money?

Judging from the response so far, it does seem that I may have a bad one, which makes me more confident in getting it sorted.

6. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    I thought you said you ditched the denon because of the drop out problem..:confused:
    What dvd player have you got have you read the article about dropout admission by dolby which i think is a compatability problem with certain dvd players and amps [ flag recognition or something].
    Hope this works out ok, still waiting for my Marantz if you want to change it you might have quite a wait for another 5200.

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mij,
    This 'Digital dropout' is one of the 5 or 6 bugs in the Marantz X200 series that has come to light recently. Can you get a replacement to try?

Eric

8. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    I have had this amp for 1 wk now, i am a bit confused about volume levels. My old pioneer was rated 60w per channel this amp is 90w so why do i still have to set Marantz about 3/4 volume level -15 to -20?
    Also can you use 96khz sampling for movie dvds or is it for audio dvd only?
    This is a strange one, on DTS and DD 5.1 DVD i have set amp as follows...

speaker levels L/R FRONT +3
    Centre +9
    REARS 0

I dont have a rear centre so that is turned OFF

I need centre this high otherwise it sounds a bit muted and flat dont no why!...Any ideas
    Now when i select either of these sound modes i find unless i go between the above vol levels amp just doesnt seem to kick in especially centre channel. Now the strange part.... If i say have a DTS film on selecting 6.1 mode and i also press s-direct the soundtrack seems to spring into life, all the effects are were they sould be and sound excellent...But how, and since it switches my rears automatically to large could i damage them [Rated 75 w below 90 hz i think!]

Can anyone try this out for themselves and let me know their findings. The disc i used was T2 Region 1.

Thanks.

9. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Yes indeed ,i have noticed this too with source direct,my R2 t2 sounds unreal in Direct mode,although it sacrafices the centre rear channel,but i think this actually sounds better.

10. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    At last... I have posted for a answer to this since i got this amp, either we like the same type of sonics or people have just ignored this fact about amp. Purists would never try it mybe...
    Anyway i would like to know how this cracking improvement happens?
    As you agree T2 is amazing, tried DTS ES , D/D EX and all other modes DTS on this particular film with S Direct selected is probabally the most amazing sound track i have ever heard!
    I have not got the extra rear centre speaker yet is it worth it...

11. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    i have the centre rear connected and when in dts-es or dd-ex it sounds very good but not as good as with s-direct on,s direct just seems to throw everything into the room and add so much atmosphere,there are sounds and music that i never heard in this movie,like waves of atmospehric music coming from the rears that are now there.
    as i said,even with the extra centre channel connected,you cant use it in es or ex with s-direct switched on.
    source direct obviously benefits from a good signal to start with,ie good source and cables etc,what cables do u use?
    mine are qed.

12. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    I dont have any special cables [ speaker that is, although it is decent], I have a Pioneer [R1] player connected with a £40 digital coaxial lead.
    Right from what you are saying if i put the extra rear c/channel speaker up it does not get a signal from DTS ES or D/D EX when you select source direct?
    I noticed that in set up when direct is selected all speakers are large with extra rear centre on, so it sould get a signal... sorry if i have not understood your reply.. its a little late and i will visit tommorrow and re- read thread.

thanks.

13. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have had this amp now for a few months and I too have noticed this issue with the 'source direct' setting.

I am using the following setup : Mission 734i Fronts, Mission M7C centre, and Mission M7ds rears. Currently have no sub.

The sound of the system is great, however I have noticed that when I choose 'source direct' the sound seems that much better. BUT, as I have no sub, and selecting Source Direct automatically swithces Subwoofer to 'Yes'............ surely I am losing altogether the LFE channel? My understanding (please correct me if i'm wrong) is that switching Subwoofer to 'No' bypasses the LFE to the main L&R fronts?

The DVD's that I have really noticed the improvements on are Madonna - Drowned World tour and The Corrs - Unplugged.

Has anyone else with this amp noticed the same??

Thanks for any responses

14. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    I do not think having a sub connected prevents your other speakers from producing bass, it just adds to the bass produced by your other Large speakers. I think bass from a sub is mainly useful if you have small speakers and have to select this setting for them the bass for those speakers is then produced by the sub only because they cannot do it. Since auto direct mode [in dts or d digital] sets all speakers to large with sub on this isnt an issue.. i think. Large settings for speakers lets them produce their own bass. Anyway with those missions you would tell straight away if bass was missing:D
    Question.. my speakers are a bit of a mixed bag
    Kef floorstanders [Front pair] 6ohm
    B&w CC6 Centre 8ohm
    Cannon corner mounted Rears 4ohm
    No Centre Rear..Yet
    I realy want to add a better quallity rear set up, but as my room is small i dont want ugly beasts hanging from the rear walls, any ideas or what can i use for centre rear that is full range but not an eysore.