1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 5200 problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ricky27, Mar 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I have had this amp up and running for just under a week now and am bowled over by the superb sound from it.

However,while using a digital connection for dd or dts or cd,the sound takes about 2 to 3 seconds to cut in whenever i change a track or chapter,therefore i miss the start of the chapter or,more importantly the start of a CD track.

Has anyone else got this problem or should i take it back for a exchange?
    this doesnt happen when using analogue

2. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are you using optical (TOSLINK) or coax. ?

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This has been reported upon a few times recently and seems to be a design fault. Use the search facility to see the threads.

4. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    im using coax fro my dvd.
    I just called my dealer and then marantz who told me it could be my dvd player is out of date.
    Could this be the problem.

5. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Which DVD player are you using?

I have read a thread about a similar problem to yours on the Marantz SR-4200, but when I posted a reply asking if anyone with a SR-5200 had the same problem, no-one replied.

From what I read, you may be able to solve the problem by using an optical lead instead.

6. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Its a 2 1/2 year old samsung dvd 709 multiregion and doesnt have a optical output just coax.

7. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds like the receiver is having difficulty trying to lock-on to the signal. I do not know what could be at fault - I would suggest borrowing a friend's DVD player and testing it with your receiver. The problem may be with the coax. lead, DVD player or even the receiver.

Does the DVD player have multichannel decoded outputs?

8. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We have the Marantz 6200 connected to a Pioneer 626 and we have the same situation. It apparently has to with which dvd player is connected to the amp, annoying isn't it. To be honest, you do get used to it after a while.

L

9. romored5

romored5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem and I have A TOSH 210ED

MY A\V RIG
    Panasonic TX32PB50
    Marantz SR5200
    Toshiba 210ED
    Amstrad DRX300
    Aiwa VCR
    Mission M72
    Mission M7C
    Mission M7ds
    Gale SPKR cables
    IXOS Scart

10. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Thanks for all the replys folks.
    I just tried my ps2 via Optical lead and this cut the drop out down to about half a second.
    Has anyone tried using optical instead of coax?

11. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
  12. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I read on the SR-4200 thread that using an optical connection, reduces the problem. Some Toshiba DVD player's were also mentioned as having problems with the SR-4200. Let me know what Marantz say.

13. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It could be that I'm easily pleased or not as observant as some of the forum members but I have tosh 210 coax into marantz 4200 and can't remember any drop outs or DTS clicking. For the price I'm extremly happy with both and would recommend to anyone. I wonder if people are using the auto setting on the amp which may be causing the delay?

14. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i experience the same problems and i use marantz 4100 ose dvd,what better equiptment matching could you ask for !!

15. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Success.I just hooked up my new Toshiba 210e dvd player and this delay is now halved.
    Thank goodness for that cos this amp sounds so good in all modes.

16. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    I have just received a replacement SR5200 direct from Marantz; it has the same faults as the previous one!

1) The sound is missing at the beginning of films, on chapter changes or layer changes.

2) When playing a music CD with optical or digital connection, the sound vanishes midway through a track for roughly 1 second. This happens on any music CD, but when using the analogue connection it plays perfect.

3) When using the OSD, it has massive wavy lines scrolling across the screen, using composite or SVHS connector

4) I have to turn the volume to 3/4 or more with digital soundtracks for a reasonable level of sound, and I don’t like loud music, so some thing is very wrong here.

I have tested this amp with a Pioneer 444 DVD, a Mico A980 DVD and a Technics? CD player, and have tried both optical & coax connections & several different leads.

I have come to the conclusion that for two of these amps to exhibit the same faults with different equipment attached, then the amp is faulty in it's design and not fit for purpose, of course Marantz is not going to admit this, but I will not pay this sort of money and accept faults like these and neither should you.

Time to change...mij

17. mitch316

mitch316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mij
    i agree with you about the sound level i cannot believe how high i have to turn it up.what sort of level do you need to turn it up to?
    i have to have mine on around -15 for dolby digital and around -20 for dts.is there a fault with this amp? it doesnt seem as loud as the yamaha rxv396 that it replaced.

18. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I agree with this volume problem, my old Pioneer 808 rated 60watts needed to be pushed upto 3/4 vol and i hoped the extra 30 watts would give me more to play with! strange indeed...
    I have d. digital at -15 DTS -20 i would like an explanation for this.

19. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Marantz may have its faults, but I don't think there's any problem with the volume control - it's just a very sensitive linear control. Does it matter where on the scale you find an appropriate level, as long as you can get it as loud as you want it?

If you're listening at -15dB, you've got a whole extra 30dB of volume to go until it maxes out. And that's a LOT louder.

Have you tried turning it all the way up?

As for mij's other faults, (1) is a universal design flaw that shows itself with some DVD/CD players, and there's no known workaround (other than trying a different player). (2) and (3) are possible faults that occur in some units.

20. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hi kevin i think you are right about the sensitivity, if i turn the volume right down -74 [lowest it goes] i can still hear amp.
    On my old amp if i turned it down below a certain point it lost sound well before the off position.
    Can you answer this .... If i increase the centre channel level the max volume decreases yet doing this with the fronts has no effect!
    Generally after a little disapointment to start with i am warming to this amp, sound drop out doesnt seem to be a problem i only get a slight split second muting when scrolling through dvd menues [T2] i think its the auto switching being a little slow on the uptake and it cannot switch between the various sound modes [ d.digital, stereo etc] in the menues fast enough.
    Dts dvds sound better than my last amp but dolby digital seems to need more juice to kick in and the centre channel does not seem as detailed as my last amp. Having said this my old amp was crap with music and had no prologic 2
    :D
    I believe this amp is still a bargain even with these niggles.

21. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    I spoke to Marantz, and they said that they had mistakenly sent me a graded replacement amp, when I should of been sent a brand new replacement, they also said that they are aware of the faults my amps have exhibited, but assured me that the new batches have been modified and should not have these faults.
    I have agreed to try 1 more time, and hopefully it will be OK. He also said it would be better to use a digital coax lead, in preference to an optical lead, his reason was that the amp has less processing to do, as coaxial is already an electrical signal, whereas an optical signal has to be converted to an electrical signal.

I am hoping this replacement is OK, as I totally agree with you all, this is the best sounding amp in this price range, and to my knowledge probably the best feature wise as well.

mij

22. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    post how you get on and i might take this up with my dealer.

23. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martian,

As far as I'm aware, the maximum master volume is +15dB, minus the highest individual channel level.

24. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    There seems to be a few people determined to argue about the volume level, my main concern is the amount of time it takes to lock on to the soundtrack, and the missing sound on music cd's, when I mentioned the volume level, it was purely because the previous 5200 did not need to be turned up to the level that this one does, which definately suggests something is wrong, or at least different. I was not trying to be technical, I just stated facts, and Marantz did confirm that they have had these problems.

mij

25. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I called in dealers at weekend, they contacted Marantz about the niggles mentioned. Marantz guy had no explanation!... Anyway they have ordered another amp for me the 6200 [I want more power] hopefully the new batches have had bugs fixed. I can keep the 5200 until new amp arrives, they even said if it develops any more problems bring it back and they will replace it while i wait...Pretty good service.

26. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Martin,

Which dealer did you purchase your Marantz receiver from?

27. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Sevenoaks, i have been told these amps are as rare as hens teeth so i might have a bit of a wait:(

28. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit late jumping on this bandwagon as I looking at getting the 5200 and was searching for any known problems.
    With reference to the volume levels, I have always been brought up to believe that more watts don't mean more volume. I think (and no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the main factor in how high the volume will go on a paticular is actually to do with the sensitivity of the speakers used. The higher the number in db, the louder the speaker will go.
    Speaker sensitivity is measured with a SPL at 1 metre at 1 watt. So if your speaker sensitivity is 91db, this is how loud they will go at 1 metre using 1 watt. Obviously, these go louder than speakers with a sensitivity of 89db@ 1w @1m.

BTW, if anybody else wants anymore eggs to suck, please do not hesitate to PM me!!:D