1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 4300 or Yamaha RXV630RDS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ross007, Feb 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sorry to start a repeated thread or picking up themes that have been started, but I was set to purchase the Yammy, but after reading this months What Hifi I am not so sure. It gives a better review of the Marantz. My listening tastes are equally split between Music and Cinema.

I am thinking of pairing the decided amp with either the Mission 72 Cinema pack or Elac Cinema 1 pack. Would it be better to purchase a 6th speaker (of the same brand) to give better effects?

I currently have a Toshiba 120E DVD and Panasonic TX32PL10.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Ross007,

I have the Marantz SR4300, as RS didn't have the SR4200 in stock, and they are out of production !!

I really like this amp, it sounded better for music than the Yamaha IMO !!

The only downside is the split-second audio gap when selecting menus or chapters on DVD's. I thought this problem was with the SR4200 and had been solved in the newer 4*** range ??

So apart from that problem, i really love this amp. It sounds great with music, and i play music more than movies, i did try out a lot of amps to get to my final choice.

Other amps i was thinking about was the Denon 1602, Kenwood 4060 & 5060, and the Yamaha. I didn't like the sound of the other amps for music, and most of the other amps were a pain to set-up or had to many DSP FX or stuff i wouldn't really use !!

Hoping to get DD-EX surround soon, when i get my Technics speakers from RS hopfully next week. (Bargain x5 Speakers for £59.95)

Cheers

Cosmic023

3. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for that I was swaying more towards the Marantz amp. Now to sort out the speakers!

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd definitely suggest you invest in an extra rear speaker for the Marantz 6.1 capability. 6.1 with my Denon sounds fabulous - a big step up from plain vanilla 5.1. And as for the Mission Cinema 72 package you mention, I'm having a demo on them at Sevenoaks on friday - let you know how they perform.

5. nelthel

nelthel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Mission M7C1 centre, M7DS rears, M70as Sub and an old pair of 761's as the main speakers.

Coupled with my SR5300 I think they sound great, especially the centre and rears. And there is more than enough bass for my room. The Sub doesn't overpower or swamp music either. They sound bigger and wider than they are. Especially the rears.

My only current quandry is whether to get an M7C2 for the front, move the M7C1 to the rear centre and update the 761's with a pair of M72's ( My room couldn't take realistically floorstanders ) or to replace the whole set with either the Kef eggs or B&W VM1's.

I'll be sorting out an audition soon, but I'll be sad to see the Missions go if I do replace them.

Someone on the forum said the Mission sound was like marmite. Oddly enough I like both. :D