1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz 4300 or 4200?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by michaelab, Sep 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What makes the 4300 so much better than the 4200? I'm definitely not going to have a 6 speaker system (excluding sub.w) so I don't need 6.1 - what else is better that I'm likely to want? I know it has Dolby Digital EX and NEO6 and a load of other stuff I hardly know anything about but what's it all for? Are there DVDs out there that will use all these new standards?

I'm very tempted to just get a 4200 at a knock down price now that the 4300 is out.

Michael.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dolby Digital Ex, DTS Neo etc all require the use of an extra rear speaker ala 6.1. If you won't be needing this, then no point in going for the more expensive 4300 over the 4200.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 4300 offers neo6 and I think circle surround which are variations on DPL2. Its a matter of taste as to which one is best. All surround encoded stereo sources will make use of these formats, but if you have DPL2 then you wont be missing much.

DTS ES 6.1 is discrete 7 channels of sound and DD EX is the dolby equivelent except the rear channel is matrixed not discrete. Many new films are being encoded with these extended formats. Even though you dont need them now, its worth having the option as more and more DVDs carry the format, you will find the price of an extra speaker is a cheaper upgrade than an amp.

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't agree that it's worth having them if you don't need them. The 4200/4300 is a starter amp for people getting in to AV. In my experience, people will quickely move on from this amp as they begin the dreaded upgrade path that we are all stuck in. As such, paying an extra £100 or so for features that will most likely be on the next Amp you buy anyway is a bit silly.

As michaelab is very clear in definately not having/wanting a 6 speaker system, features such as DD Ex and Neo 6 are redundant.

5. Scalabis

Scalabis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

i have a doubt:
    - If the power is not the same, that don't afect the sound quality?
    - And all the hardware in 4300 is like the old 4200?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If all of the hardware is the same except the power output, it should not affect the sound quality.

I agree with groundy that if michaelab is not going to use the extended surround there doesn't seem much point in paying extra for an amp that has it if all else is equal.

It isn't just a matter of buying another speaker or two as many people do not have the right shaped room for the extra speakers. Those with seats pushed back against the wall would have difficulty with rear speakers only inches from their ears.

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not everyone has the disposable cash to upgrade regularly. One upgrade in 7 years!!!! Next ones due in 2009:D so its worth considering things you think you dont need in light of the frequency you will be upgrading.

8. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to go for the 4200. Five speakers (+ sub) is plenty for me right now.

Michael.