1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

marantz 4200 dts clicking sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steve1, Jan 20, 2002.

Tags:
  1. steve1

steve1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    can anyone help me with the 4200 im getting a clicking noise coming from the rear right speaker in dts mode only .it does it on r1 and r2 discs have replaced 4200 for another one same problem and have tried new dvd player same problem.

thanks steve1

2. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad it's not just me then!.

I first experienced the same thing when watching the R2 of The Grinch. I mangaged to shake it off in the end by scanning bakwards/forwards until it went away. it's happened since then though (with a variety of different discs), but it normally only occurs after pausing briefly or some other form of interruption. It can sometimes go further than simple clicking in the RS though and I've had a full-on echoey/robotic effect emitting from all speakers.

Obviously, it's some kind of a fault, although I don't know if it's specific to the 4200 or the whole range upto 7200 (probably the former). I've NEVER had a DD5.1 track do the same thing, so it's a DTS issue only (I have a UK spec SR4200 BTW).

3. steve1

steve1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for replying good to see it not just me with this problem i was wondering what dvd player you are useing im useing a tosh 210 it seems to start clicking when disc has been paused is it the same for you dont get any other problems though not sure if this problem is through the range have ask many shops how to get rid of this but no one knows

4. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a Toshiba 200E connected to the amp by a coaxial lead.

It doesn't seem to happen if you leave the film running, but pausing has become something of a lottery!. I'd say pausing and skipping chapters are the two things most likely to trigger it off, but like I said earlier, it can be remedied by scanning through the disc. That's not a satisfactory solution in the long-run of course, but it's the best I can come up with at the moment.

Your post is the first time I've heard anyone else mention it though, so considering how many 5200/7200 owners there are on this site (and others), I think it's clear that the problem is isolated to the 4200 (someone else would have complained about it by now)...

Is it worse on certain discs? I've played the R1's of Big Trouble in Little China/T2 numerous times (in DTS mode) without a hitch. Planet of the Apes was a bit hit & miss and The Grinch (R2) was virtually unplayable and I had to switch to DD5.1 in the end.

Odd that we both have a Toshiba aswell?!.

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I don't have the tosh DVD player but have the amp, so I will try to check this out through the week using mummy returns and gladiator both R2. If I get the same prob then at least it will put the blame firmly at the amps door and rule out the tosh.

Will let you know how I get on but it may be later in the week.

6. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the 210 and 4200. I have not heard the clicking sound as yet but will have a listen to Titan AE r1 dts later to see if i can replicate. hope I can't

7. steve1

steve1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks everyone for there input i will be interested to find out if this clicking noise is only with tosh players but i did replace both amp and dvd player for new ones with the same problem i know its not my wiring or speakers as it would do it in dolby d i also had the dts circuit changed on the amp with no success it doesnt do it all the time some times i can watch a hole film with no problem and i dont really want to change the amp or dvd player as i pleased with them both main clicking problem is with r1 fast and furious planet of apes the mummy and r2 gladiator i did email marantz uk with this problem they said they would look in to this phenomenon that was two weeks ago and havent heard any thing back yet thanks everone steve1

8. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the Toshiba is off the hook....

I've been using an LG3000E with the amp this last week and have had a few instances of clicking. I have discovered that quickly selecting DD and then re-selecting DTS often solves the problem though.

It's doesn't happen particularly often actually (1 out of 10 tries maybe?), but it can be a real pain with discs that need a lot of navigation (music/demos etc). I'd believe it if an owner of the same amp has never experienced any faults on DTS tracks (although that doesn't mean the compatibility issues aren't present).

I don't think the problem is player-specific though, as the amount of clicking wasn't any different with the LG. I've only tried a co-axial connection because my player is too far away for an optical lead. So, maybe that makes a difference?...

9. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far I've only managed to try Gladiator R2, but no matter how many chapter skips or pauses I did I couldn't enduce the clicking.

The only other disc I've got with DTS at the moment is Mummy Returns R2, so I will try with this tommorow and let you know.

If the people with the problem could try either of the above disc and enduce the clicking then tell me how e.g what chapters did you skip from/to and if it makes a differance where you pause and for how long. If you manage to try the above it would help me in trying to reproduce your fault and then we could gang up on Marantz if it is indeed a faulty batch etc.

10. steve1

steve1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    mandlebrot try pausing your machine for a few seconds to see if the clicking starts all my r2 and r1 click in dts mode so i dont think it the discs let me know

11. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been trying to induce the clicking again and thankfully it didn't happen. I can only think its because either the members whom are having probs have

A: got faulty amps.
    B: compatability issues with certain DVD players.
    or
    C: it only happens with a co-axial lead.

I have only tried with an optical lead cause I don't own a co-axial lead but haven't had any clicking problems even though I've been trying very hard to reproduce the problems some members are having

12. phillarner

phillarner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just played the dream sequence from t2 and sure enough after the run through the clicking started. Now i have got a tosh 110e with co axial and it only seemed to do it after jumping to this bit, it was fine when played from the beginning.
    I wondered if marantz had got back to any of you yet?
    Could it be although i have the rears set to small they only contain one speaker(cheap set fom a technics pro logic amp) wonder if this might be the cause. what type of rears have you all got.

here's hoping:eek::eek:

13. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

Are there any Marantz SR5200 owners experiencing the same problem, out there?

Where did all of you purchase the receiver from?

Has anyone managed to verify that the clicking problem only happens with the coaxial connection?

14. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has any of the members whom have the clicking problem tried to connect the DVD to the Amp with optical cable instead of coaxial?

It seems that this is the common link, I would be interested to know has I have had no probs connecting with optical and has yet haven't managed to get a coaxial to try.

15. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dad has clicking, he has a Tosh SD100-E and connects to AMP using Coaxial.

I thought it wa electrical interference from another system. Fridge freezer etc.

Maybe there is a pattern emerging.

Cheers

16. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I were reading a piece about optical and coaxial........a comparison......... from what i can remember............
    Optical transfers the data by light, where as the coaxial some voltage was involved.
    Maybe this has some relevance.........worth looking into......!!
    ......bob

Found the quote......

17. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Until some1 who has the clicking problem gets round to testing with optical we can not be sure that the SR4200 Amp has a general problem or they are just unlucky enough to have faulty amps.

18. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just taken delivery of my 4200 and have gone one better in that mt rear right output from the amp is dead - i've tried different speakers and cable combinations all to no avail.

I brought my Mail order from Syperfi and will be contacting them today for a replacement. I was using an optical cable from the DVD (Tosh SD100E) but even on the pink noise test from the amp there is no rear right output.

19. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have recently bought this amp and paired it with a pioneer dv444 via a QED coax cable. I only have fromt stereo speakers at the moment though until I save up.

Would I be able to tell if there is a problem by plugging these speakers into the rear connections and trying a DTS disc?

20. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just plug them into the rears and use the 'test' button which sends pink noise to each speaker separately (obviously there will be silence while it attempts to send output to the fronts.)

21. steve1

steve1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks everyone for your replys your reply to your speaker question phil im running celeston f3 fronts and celeston f2 for rears but its not the speakers that r the problem because it dont click on dolby digital also i have tried coax and optical and the clicking noise is still there i never got a reply back from marantz

22. steve1

steve1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    phil your question about speakers i run celeston f3 fronts and celeston f2 rears but its not the speakers that r at fault because the clicking dont start in dolby d i also have tried coax and optical but the clicking is still there i did email marantz about problem but theres be no reply

23. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Right then,

I tried my stereo speakers in the rear outputs in my amp last night, making sure that the speaker setup was correct. The amplifier indicator showed it was receiving a DTS signal.

I tried my Gladiator R2 disc outputting DTS. I tried FF/rew, chapter skipping back and forth, entering and leaving the menu and could not get any clicking to occur at all, it all sounded fine.

I have a Pioneer DV444 connected through a coax cable to SR4200. My speakers are Wharfedale 8.2s. The whole lot bought from SuperFi in Birmingham about 3 weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.

24. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tut!.

Just rented the R2 of Jurassic Park 3 (with DTS). It played okay for the first 50 minutes and then I had to pause the film while I made a drink. When I came back and pressed 'Play', the R/S speaker went clicking-crazy!.

Like I said earlier, quickly selecting DD and then re-selecting DTS returns things to normal (and on this occasion it worked fine for the rest of the duration), but this technique certainly doesn't guarantee the prolonged absence of the problem. So, if you have the 4200 but haven't experienced any clicking yet, I recommend you play a DTS track for a decent length of time and then pause it for 5/10 minutes. There's a VERY strong chance that this will trigger the effect on the dodgy amps (as you re-start the DVD) and it's by far the most risky practice in relation to the clicking fault.

I'm going to buy an optical lead tomorrow to prove once and for all that the amp has a consistent flaw, rather than a general dislike of coaxial connections.

25. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Has anybody actually returned their amp because of the clicking sound?

Anybody managed to get a reply from Marantz UK?

26. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I have recently bought an SR4200 and use it with a Toshiba 210 linked by coaxial.I was watching T2 (R1) tonight in DTS,and when the Carolco screen came up at the beginning i heard the clicking noise from the right rear.It sounded terrible,so i pressed stop then pressed play and it was gone.I then went back to the beginning to see if it would do it again at the same point and it didnt.Although i have limited experience of DTS,i have developed a preference for it,so i hope this is not going to be a regular occurrence.:(