MARANTZ 2020 OWNERS THREAD

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All
We have a Denon thread running couldn't see a Marantz one so i thought id start this one. I should have the 7015 in a couple of days with a bit of luck, i'm coming from a 7010

I was adamant i was going to wait for the new Anthems to be announced and spent a little time on that thread, I acquired some new speakers recently and re-calibrated my system and forgot how much i love the sound of the Marantz and they really are lifestyle features that i actually use and enjoy.

I've watched the presentations by Phil Jones from Denon - sound united recently too and then I got an offer i couldn't refuse in terms of a trade in and upgrade so that was it for me. i know the prices will likely drop in the new year, but so will the depreciation on my current receiver so i thought sod it. there aren't any reviews anywhere i can see at the moment.

Feel Free to join the conversation...

(info below kindly used with permission from JDSmoothie from AVSforums)

What's new or to be added via firmware update for the 2020 models?

- Features added to the 2019 models continue (and now also added to the SR7015 as the 2018 SR7013 was not replaced in 2019)
----- HDCP 2.3 all HDMI inputs/outputs
----- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization (factory default is ON, so with a 7.1 or less setup, this feature is enabled; works with DD/DTS/PCM w/no Audyssey limitation)
----- Main Zone HDMI/TV Audio distribution (multi channel) down mixed to 2CH for Zone 2/HEOS speakers - press the [Zone 2 Source] button on the front panel and select "Source" instead of the actual source name (formerly only on 2019 SR6014)
----- USB input supports both FAT32 and NTFS
----- ALL ZONE STEREO setting added to Smart Select buttons
----- Bluetooth transmission to single set of headphones/hearing aids (with "Bluetooth only" or "Bluetooth + speakers" settings) - volume adjustment via headphone/hear aids only
----- HDMI Custom Input Assign (able to assign a single HDMI input jack to multiple source names to enable saving separate audio input assignments for each, ie. HDMI, digital, analog))
----- HDMI Input Auto Rename (AVR will automatically change the input name if recognized, eg. if using PS4, the name would change to PS4)
----- Airplay disable (ON/OFF) - so AVR is not seen as an Airplay device (eg. if kids in the house that might accidently select it as a source)
----- Roon tested (ie. use Airplay or USB)
----- Able to "overlay" the volume bar, INFO and OPTION menus on all 4k (and now 8k as well for 2020 models) video with Setup menu displayed on black background - note that <Video Conversion> must be enabled for the "overlay" to occur; however, the <i/P Scaler> can be disabled.

- A single HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3/8k/40Gbps input (8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz pass-through) with all remaining HDMI inputs 4k/HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.3 - [Note that the 40Gbps number is more likely to be the number the industry adopts at large vs the 48Gbps initial target. The 2020 LG OLED X series just released with 40Gbps ports.]
- Both main zone HDMI monitor outputs (SR5015/SR6015/SR7015) are also 8k/HDCP 2.3 while the Zone 2 monitor output (SR6015/SR7015/SR8015) remains 4k/HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.3
- AUX 2 button on remote relabeled to 8k
- AUX 1 button on remote relabeled to AUX
- Pre-amp mode (formerly only featured on the flagship models) - physically disconnects all on board amps when only external amps are being used (SR6015/SR7015/SR8015 only) regardless of whether only 2 speakers up to a maximum of 11 speakers (13 - SR8015) are connected
- Speaker Preset (1/2) - Store two sets of speaker settings (including separate Audyssey EQ for each ie. no longer need to use USB or MultEQ Editor app for this); also added to Smart Select buttons
- Gaming enhancements - all HDMI inputs are able to pass Variable Refresh Rate (VRR); Quick Frame Transport (QFT); Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM - previously added on some older models via firmware update) )
- Video/Movie enhancements - all HDMI inputs are able to pass Dynamic HDR, HDR10+; Quick Media Switching (QMS)
- Height 3/Front Wide speaker support (SR8015 only)
- Auro 3D Center Height (CH) with Auro 3D 13.1 support (SR8015 only)
- Able to use DTS Neural:X on all audio
- HDCP Setup - sets the HDCP version (Auto/1.4/2.3) for an HDMI input source
- ECO Mode defaults to "Auto"
- Volume Limit - variable from 60-80 / -20dB to 0dB (vs. fixed 60/70/80 - -20dB/-10dB/0dB on older models)
- Bass Sync can be enabled in DIRECT/PURE DIRECT modes with a multi channel audio source (SR7015/SR8015)
- Video - Information menu displays whether ALLM / QMS / QFT enabled on input signal
- All models use the same AK4458VN DAC.
- Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) - able to up-mix to a single Surround Back speaker (ie. 6.1 setup) when the "Speaker Virtualizer" is OFF

- Added via future firmware update:
- Screen saver - moving MARANTZ icon (after no video input or same menu displayed for more than 5 minutes - Default = OFF); also moving MUTE icon (December 2020)
- DTS:X Pro - support for up to 7.2.6 (with ability to select either Top Middle or Top Surround+Center Height) or 9.2.4 (ie. Front Wide) - SR8015 only (December 2020)

What features weren't carried forward from the 2019 (NR1710/SR5014/SR6014 models?
- Front HDMI input removed (NR1711/NR5015/NR6015)

----------------------

Notes:
1. Although all models feature two subwoofer pre-outs, only the SR6015/SR7015/SR8015 have independent subwoofer volume control of each subwoofer.

Last edited:
Upgrade envy going on here!:D

I’m in can’t wait for your first impression

I'm definitely in the market for one of these. As someone with no Atmos speakers, the virtualisation stuff sounds interesting if implausible. Has anyone had a demo of this? I recall hearing Q Sound and I thought it was rubbish, but that was ages ago.

I'm definitely in the market for one of these. As someone with no Atmos speakers, the virtualisation stuff sounds interesting if implausible. Has anyone had a demo of this? I recall hearing Q Sound and I thought it was rubbish, but that was ages ago.

I will leave my conclusions until I've tested it myself. its something i'm interested in, as like alot of people not everyone has room for height and ceiling speakers, but i have to be honest and say im not expecting much, then my expectations will be in check.

checked with my supplier and it should be here tomorrow fingers crossed.

I heard that the Quick Media switching works a treat and will hopefully eradicate these hdmi switching issues that arise from time to time when switching sources, and get rid of these black screens we encounter.

I'm also in touch with avsforum members, who are purchasing the 7015/8015 so i will also share any relevant information that may arise from there as well

For quick media switching doesn't everything in the chain have to support it?

For quick media switching doesn't everything in the chain have to support it?

Its my understanding that the 2.0b ports have all the 2.1 benefits they can manage, but i cant remember if QMS is one of them. I have got a list somewhere. But yes that im guessing from source to amp to TV would need the correct chain.

Edit: looks like all ports can do QMS/ VRR reading the list above. My 7015 should be here at 3 pm!!!

Last edited:
Its my understanding that the 2.0b ports have all the 2.1 benefits they can manage, but i cant remember if QMS is one of them. I have got a list somewhere. But yes that im guessing from source to amp to TV would need the correct chain.

Edit: looks like all ports can do QMS/ VRR reading the list above. My 7015 should be here at 3 pm!!!

Exciting. I'm interested to hear your impressions.

How did you manage to get it ahead of release btw? I thought these new amps weren't due until next month?

Exciting. I'm interested to hear your impressions.

How did you manage to get it ahead of release btw? I thought these new amps weren't due until next month?

The 7015 is first out of the gates, they landed on Wednesday i believe at dealers in the uk. I think the 8015 and the 6015 are next month.

Silver versions of the 7015 are due to land the end of the month, but i went with black like my old but reliable 7010

20200807_172118.jpg

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED !!!

Last edited:
Did you get it through Andrew at Quantum AV.

Did you get it through Andrew at Quantum AV.

No I got a really good trade in for my outgoing receiver. Quantum werent doing that at this time.

No I got a really good trade in for my outgoing receiver. Quantum werent doing that at this time.
Hi, I’m very interested in your thoughts when you’ve had a chance to set it up and compare to the 7010.

Well I changed everything out last night, set up all the wiring again, bloody boiling hot last night. And I've run a calibration this morning. ( picture below )

My sources are sky q, ps4 Pro, oppo 205, turntable, 4k firestick.

The familiar menus are fast and very slick, everything i plugged in. It recognised straight away.

I played star wars on my firestick and it recognised straight away that it was atmos, ( i have a 5.1 set up) so it went straight into virtual atmos. I need to listen more to see how it sounds properly as it was late by this time.

I have 3 or 4 decibels to play with to reference on all my speakers but it sounds great. I will report back with more info as I go.

I dont apply dynamic EQ or dynamic volume

20200808_101826.jpg

I was looking at the differences between the 7015 and the 6015. The former is a little more powerful but that seems to be about it?
Also the 6015 does not have 2ndary display behind flap. As I would be using with external power amp for main channels I don't need extra power.

Also I believe 7015 has front hdmi input (which would be useful)

Hey could do with a little advice if possible,
Picked up a NR1510 and got everything hooked up.

PS4 and switch pick up 5 channels (no sub connected)
Just wondered if there is a setting to get audio from CD input and Heos to carry to all channels or if they are solely restricted to 2 speakers.

Thanks

Hey could do with a little advice if possible,
Picked up a NR1510 and got everything hooked up.

PS4 and switch pick up 5 channels (no sub connected)
Just wondered if there is a setting to get audio from CD input and Heos to carry to all channels or if they are solely restricted to 2 speakers.

Thanks
You need to select a stereo upmixing mode: Dolby, DTS, etc via the sound mode buttons on the bottom of the remote.

Press MOVIE, MUSIC or GAME to display a list of the sound modes that can be selected. Each time you press MOVIE, MUSIC or GAME, the sound mode changes.
0 While the list is displayed, you can also use ui to select a sound mode.
0 Try out various sound modes and enjoy sound mode in your favorite mod
e.

You need to select a stereo upmixing mode: Dolby, DTS, etc via the sound mode buttons on the bottom of the remote.

Press MOVIE, MUSIC or GAME to display a list of the sound modes that can be selected. Each time you press MOVIE, MUSIC or GAME, the sound mode changes.
0 While the list is displayed, you can also use ui to select a sound mode.
0 Try out various sound modes and enjoy sound mode in your favorite mod
e.

Thanks, appreciated, had look in all menus and was at a loss,
missed the obvious.

Thanks for that. Essentially more ports, a little more power, and an additional display behind the front flap, plus Auro 3D which I can't see any real use for. I think I can skip those in all honesty. Unless the actual sound quality is any different between the two?
I think the only other difference is the 7015 has more multizone options. I cant imagine the 6015 sounding any different?

I think the only other difference is the 7015 has more multizone options. I cant imagine the 6015 sounding any different?

The 7015 is also physically larger and uses more juice. Who knows, I'm certainly no expert.

Have you had a chance to play with the virtual Atmos some more? I'm hoping it's something magical but I fear it will be something rather less!

The 7015 is also physically larger and uses more juice. Who knows, I'm certainly no expert.

Have you had a chance to play with the virtual Atmos some more? I'm hoping it's something magical but I fear it will be something rather less!
No mate, because of the hot weather been making the most of it, with the family so havent had time to play with the new toy properly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom