MARANTZ 2020 OWNERS THREAD

zombionicdoom

Just bought SR5015 to replace the dead NR (5-6 yrs old).
Was thinking to do a quick swap.
but.... I can’t seem to pry open the speaker terminal holes.
Does it not allow banana plugs???
I’ve been searching high and low for this info...
Saw some website saying yes, including the product page here.
Anyone can help confirm?
My 6015 had little black plastic plugs in them that you had to pry out with a small screwdriver. They were in really tight and it was a right pain getting them out.

gibbsy

Anyone can help confirm?
Push a sharp knife under the plug and gently tease it out. Be careful with the knife though. They will come out to take standard 4mm banana plugs.

DaveWillo

Anyone can help confirm?
I know some Marantz AVR's have little plastic plugs in the end of the speaker terminals and you have to pull them out in order to fit banana plugs - oops, never noticed the other responses!

lkming

Standard Member
Yah, even the spoiled NR I could just use my fingernails to pry open.
But I still cant get the ones on SR5015 to open!!
I’ve looked into the online manual. No mention at all about banana plugs. Only screw in the speaker wires. Does this confirm it?
It’ll be mighty disappointing if Marantz cut corners on such thing which I don’t think it save any cost these days.

CaroleBaskin

Yah, even the spoiled NR I could just use my fingernails to pry open.
But I still cant get the ones on SR5015 to open!!
I’ve looked into the online manual. No mention at all about banana plugs. Only screw in the speaker wires. Does this confirm it?
It’ll be mighty disappointing if Marantz cut corners on such thing which I don’t think it save any cost these days.
Could you post a pic of the terminals?

lkming

Standard Member
Sorry guys.
My bad.
Decided to really pry it with a flat head screwdriver. Dig in!
It’s out now.
just done calibration.
movie test now... wonderful. An upgrade over the old NR.
Music next... more sceptical on this as I prefer tube amp sound. Hope it comes close. Or SR may surprise me.

cozzie4d

Standard Member
Everything set up here, wow! So happy, combined with my sub upgrade (asw610xp), sounds nice, have to admit though that properly configuring the sub for both music and movies is a bit tricky, but i think it stores speaker levels per input.

I somehow can’t find a way to control my (marantz) CD player though, using the sr6015’s remote. Any idea how i should do this? My former sr5006 controlled the CD player out of the box.

Another question; do you know if it’s possible to let the info or setup screens show up when using ARC? I mean say I’m using an app like Disney or Netflix on my TV, the display of the avr won’t show, making it difficult to check the status or change settings on screen. This only seems to work when I switch my tv source to the receiver as a primary input.

Last edited:

zombionicdoom

Everything set up here, wow! So happy, combined with my sub upgrade (asw610xp), sounds nice, have to admit though that properly configuring the sub for both music and movies is a bit tricky, but i think it stores speaker levels per input.

I somehow can’t find a way to control my (marantz) CD player though, using the sr6015’s remote. Any idea how i should do this? My former sr5006 controlled the CD player out of the box.

Another question; do you know if it’s possible to let the info or setup screens show up when using ARC? I mean say I’m using an app like Disney or Netflix on my TV, the display of the avr won’t show, making it difficult to check the status or change settings on screen. This only seems to work when I switch my tv source to the receiver as a primary input.
I think your best bet is using the Marantz app to see what’s going on.

cozzie4d

Standard Member
Interesting, I just filled out the form to get the 4k/120hz HDMI 2.1 adapter (for my SR6015). But the form responded that my hardware is already working as expected, no adapter needed (based on serial number). Did/ does anybody know that they fixed this in the latest manufactured model's internals?

Nutty667

Interesting, I just filled out the form to get the 4k/120hz HDMI 2.1 adapter (for my SR6015). But the form responded that my hardware is already working as expected, no adapter needed (based on serial number). Did/ does anybody know that they fixed this in the latest manufactured model's internals?
When did you buy it?

Any new stock from Late July/Early August in a retailer should be the fixed chip version.

cozzie4d

Standard Member
When did you buy it?

Any new stock from Late July/Early August in a retailer should be the fixed chip version.
I ordered it on July 10th at a retailer in the Netherlands, the retailer ordered it directly at Marantz I think (expected waiting time was a few months but it arrived in 3 weeks). Out of curiosity, what's your source/ how did you know the late stock has the fixed chip version?

Which by the way is good news, saves an ugly external adapter :)
Going a bit from left to right here, but also just noticed that it (6015) runs quite hot after a few hours of simple music playing (eco mode on auto). Ventilation should be fine, some googling tells me that it's quite common they run 'hot' (definition of hot after some hours is that you can touch it a number of seconds and then remove you're hand because it starts hurting :))

Image of the location it's sitting in. The back of the cabinet is 3 to 5cm from the wall, so air should be able to circle all round the AVR.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (2).jpg
    Image from iOS (2).jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 48

Nutty667

Out of curiosity, what's your source/ how did you know the late stock has the fixed chip version?
Pretty sure I read it somewhere here, or on the Marantz FB group.

I have a SR6008 and it's never been that hot that I can remember. Only when driving it around 70% with dance music for hours maybe, but it sits on top of my AV unit, not inside. Looks like you could easily fit an AC-Infinity cooler on top there if you wanted more peace of mind.

cozzie4d

Standard Member
Thanks, it’s not that hot to be really worried, but still incomparable with my old SR5006.

Some more questions to keep the thread going :)

• do you think this recent models still get affected by power cables/ plugs not being “in phase”? Always found it difficult if this really a thing. The retailer told me you can feel it on marantz modes by rubbing the front panel (smooth would be correct in phase, rough not, and by turning the power plug 180deg it did actually change)
  • stil didn’t figure out how to control my CD player with the 6015 remote
  • I found that the channel assigning was set to 7.1 + zone2. My setup currently is 5.1. In the manual it states 9.1 is the default, but audyssey set it to 7.1 + zone2. I changed it to 9.1 now. Could having zone 2 enabled in the channel setup, have had any impact on heat/ power use?

Nutty667

The retailer is a conman.
Nothing changed on the panel except the suggestion he put in your mind which made you think there was a difference.
The 1st thing the electric hits is an AC to DC converter so phase is irrelevant. And more expensive power cables cannot ever make any difference to the audio.

Zone 2 wouldn't contribute to heat unless it was turned on. Receivers do have a tendency to run warm, unless it's excessively so, I wouldn't worry.

saj2001ind

Standard Member
I have Marantz sr5014…I have noticed that when playing YouTube native app on my new LG OLED C1 I do not get option to select dts neural x rather it just gives me Dolby surround , stereo and multi channel stereo to select…I would really want to select dtc neural x option as it sound best for any 2 channel input

i can see the input in this case is PCM 2 channel but still I do not see dtc neural x to select ? Anyone can help ….

cozzie4d

Standard Member
For who also had this question; I got a reply from Marantz that the SR6015 remote is not able to control a connected Marantz CD player (like the SR5006 remote for example did do), apparently the 5006 remote was a more 'universal one'. Does anybody have experience with one of connecting one of the 2020 AVR models with a CD player with an RCA cable (remote in/out) and then using the AVRs remote to control a CD player? (I really hate having another remote just for next/last track and play/pause)............

OrdinaryClown

Novice Member
Hi i have a question. If i want to play lossless song with Apple Music on my marantz . Is that possible?
AirPlay 2 doesnt support it and apple tv 4k dont either

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Update today on 7015 anyone know what it does?

zombionicdoom

Update today on 7015 anyone know what it does?
No, but my 6015 randomly turned itself on and off again earlier so I did wonder if it’d received an update.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021