MARANTZ 2020 OWNERS THREAD

I'm about to hook up my SR6015 with my old Sony strdn1050 in pure mode for my front speakers to give the Marantz a bit more headroom. Does anyone have any advise on how to best match the volumes?

I'm thinking first when calibrating, and then when running them, without having to adjust them too much when I adjust the volume.

Edit: can it even be done in 9.1 mode?

Last edited:
I'm about to hook up my SR6015 with my old Sony strdn1050 in pure mode for my front speakers to give the Marantz a bit more headroom. Does anyone have any advise on how to best match the volumes?

I'm thinking first when calibrating, and then when running them, without having to adjust them too much when I adjust the volume.

Edit: can it even be done in 9.1 mode?

So it turns out yes, it's possible, it seems that the pre-outs are always enabled.

I repeated the first calibration, adjusting the level of the front speakers to match the center speaker. This means my Sony is running at a very high 68 volume at all times, but this is ok, it sounds better at higher volumes, and it seems to stay with the Marantz's volume perfectly as I adjust it up and down.

It definitely sounds better in this dual amp configuration. The front and center speakers sound like they now have enough power to clearly articulate sounds with better definition, even at lower volumes.

My height speakers are 6ohm Dali so I have to set the amp to 6ohm, I don't know if the slight lack of power on the rest of the 8 ohm speakers has anything to do with that. It's not really noticeable in the rears or heights but now the Front speakers have their own 165w amp, there's a definite improvement.

Last edited:
Hi all. I've ordered an SR6015 and as it looks it will take about 2 more months of waiting (Netherlands). In the meantime I've read the manual and wonder if you already have experience with the following:
  • does the 6015 have HDMI diagnostics, to check the max GBPS the cable can handle?
  • do you have any experience with Audyssey LFC? I have an old (30's) house so a bit noisy, but I also don't want to compromise in bass/ sound quality and immersion
  • my front L/R and center speakers have 4ohms impedance, the manual states you can change the ohms for the speakers that are connected, is this necessary/ any experience with this?
  • what should I do to get the 'converter' to fix the HDMI 2.1 4k120/8k issue with certain devices connected (XBox and certain TVs?). I don't own a 120hz 4K or 8K TV yet (4K 60hz), but I want to make sure I have it for the future.

Any input is appreciated.

Hi all. I've ordered an SR6015 and as it looks it will take about 2 more months of waiting (Netherlands). In the meantime I've read the manual and wonder if you already have experience with the following:
  • does the 6015 have HDMI diagnostics, to check the max GBPS the cable can handle?
  • do you have any experience with Audyssey LFC? I have an old (30's) house so a bit noisy, but I also don't want to compromise in bass/ sound quality and immersion
  • my front L/R and center speakers have 4ohms impedance, the manual states you can change the ohms for the speakers that are connected, is this necessary/ any experience with this?
  • what should I do to get the 'converter' to fix the HDMI 2.1 4k120/8k issue with certain devices connected (XBox and certain TVs?). I don't own a 120hz 4K or 8K TV yet (4K 60hz), but I want to make sure I have it for the future.

Any input is appreciated.

I don't know about the HDMI diagnostics but I can talk a bit about LFC.

Firstly Audessey itself goes a long way into taming and refining your sub frequencies so that you can hear definition and texture in the sounds your sub produces.

When I looked at the before and after charts for my sub, I noticed that before I had a huge hump around the 30-40Hz range which whilst in the past has given me huge satisfaction, they are the frequencies that are physically the largest and most likely to annoy the neighbours. Audessey flattened these right out and I do not miss them at all. My housemate who is very sensitive to any kind of noise has noticed a big difference, I can use my speakers more often and at a louder volume, and like I mentioned before I am hearing more texture and refinement instead of whoomph.

In addition to this, if you turn LFC on, it will reduce low frequencies from all speakers cutting off at 100Hz, 90Hz, 80Hz, 70Hz, 60Hz, 50Hz or 40Hz depending on what you set it at (7 to 1).

At 7 I can watch anything at a reasonable volume without disturbing even my sound sensitive housemate at night, although I do have to make sure one of the compressors is on so nothing loud suddenly jumps out.

I watched Watchmen the other day and had no idea it was set to 2, it still felt like a full on glorious soundtrack.

Don´t lower the impedance switch from 8ohm default setting! Also don´t set eco mode to "On", "Auto" is fine if you are counting pennies regarding electricity. Would it run tad cooler, worth a try perhaps. Just ensure it has enough ventilation on top and sides always!

At day time i wouldn´t use LFC function, pointless!

Thinking of getting a sr6015. In regards to the port hole display, how does the menu display through it if you are not using a HDMI source where the GUI can't be used? Is everything abbreviated?

Also is it possible to choose what is displayed ie source or audio format? I do prefer to see the audio format.

Thinking of getting a sr6015. In regards to the port hole display, how does the menu display through it if you are not using a HDMI source where the GUI can't be used? Is everything abbreviated?

Also is it possible to choose what is displayed ie source or audio format? I do prefer to see the audio format.

The port hole is fairly basic as it will show the Input Name and Volume. You can't change it.

The display behind the front panel flap has far more info but you'd have to leave it down to see it.

Ah ok cheers, may hold out for Denon in that case.

Note that the 6015 doesn't have the additional panel behind the 'door' on the front, only 7015 and 8015 have one imho

Note that the 6015 doesn't have the additional panel behind the 'door' on the front, only 7015 and 8015 have one imho

Didn't realise that! Thought it was standard across most models as the port hole is next to useless.

6015 front panel door down. No display.

1628014825773.png

I may have to rule a Marantz out, I like to see the sound mode. Also considering the new Yamaha but will probably end up with another Denon :)

I may have to rule a Marantz out, I like to see the sound mode. Also considering the new Yamaha but will probably end up with another Denon :)
If not in rush maybe wait for the Onkyo TX-RZ50 pricing as if it hits the 1k£ range then it will be very tough to beat with fairly powerfull (120w) amplification, fully working hdmi 2.1 and Dirac Live. Sadly the rumours are that they are coming out 1/2022 in UK/Europe, bit sooner in US but nothing is certain yet.

Yeah that has been a consideration also. There is no rush so may hold out.

Didn't realise that! Thought it was standard across most models as the port hole is next to useless.
I thought this just before buying a marantz receiver. But honestly you barely even need the display. I never look it. Even if you had a display like the Denons, it would still be easier to turn TV on to tweak things.

Once it's setup to your liking the only control you need for music is the volume knob. If you're watching something then you have access to onscreen display.

Sometimes a Blu-ray will default to a dts format instead of atmos. Rampage does that and I’ve got at least one other film that does. So a display is useful for that but I guess you can use the Blu-ray player info button to check.

These are in stock now, tempted but still not sure 🤔

I thought this just before buying a marantz receiver. But honestly you barely even need the display. I never look it. Even if you had a display like the Denons, it would still be easier to turn TV on to tweak things.

Once it's setup to your liking the only control you need for music is the volume knob. If you're watching something then you have access to onscreen display.

I use the display very occasionally on my Marantz but could easily live without it as I tend to have the displays switched off anyway.

It can be useful if you need to change something and don't have the TV on or use the App though.

Yippie, the 6015 and my new sub are delivered. Quick question on speaker presets; I use a cd63 mkII ki for cd playback, meaning I need to use Direct mode to be able to use the DAC in the CD player. With the base settings for the sub I’m using LFE only for low, but for the sub to work in direct mode I understood that I need to use LFE+main. Do you know if this is correct and if so, if there’s a way to preset this subwoofer setting linked to a certain input? Otherwise I’ll have to keep switching between LFE and LFE+main when listening CD versus all other audio sources.

Yippie, the 6015 and my new sub are delivered. Quick question on speaker presets; I use a cd63 mkII ki for cd playback, meaning I need to use Direct mode to be able to use the DAC in the CD player. With the base settings for the sub I’m using LFE only for low, but for the sub to work in direct mode I understood that I need to use LFE+main. Do you know if this is correct and if so, if there’s a way to preset this subwoofer setting linked to a certain input? Otherwise I’ll have to keep switching between LFE and LFE+main when listening CD versus all other audio sources.
I may well be wrong on this but I’m pretty sure I had mine set to LFE+main and in direct mode on a 2ch source (record player in my case) the sound only came out of the left and right speakers and not the sub. You’d have to set it to stereo to have the sub play back too.

Also, as a matter of interest what colour is your 6015 and where did you get it from? I had a fault with my 6015 and I’ve been waiting months and months for a replacement.

in direct mode on a 2ch source (record player in my case) the sound only came out of the left and right speakers and not the sub. You’d have to set it to stereo to have the sub play back too.
That's correct and you can tweak the speaker settings (size, LFE, crossover) for stereo mode in the "2 channel playback" settings menu.

@zombionicdoom thanks, mine's black, ordered from hifiklubben in the Netherlands.

If this is true, then there would be no way to use my CD player's DAC in combination with the sub )-;
It is what it is, I'll give it a shot either way. Picking up my new rears today (same as fronts, Excite X12s) and tomorrow continuing with hooking it all up.

Just bought SR5015 to replace the dead NR (5-6 yrs old).
Was thinking to do a quick swap.
but.... I can’t seem to pry open the speaker terminal holes.
Does it not allow banana plugs???
I’ve been searching high and low for this info...
Saw some website saying yes, including the product page here.
Anyone can help confirm?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom