Marantz (1711) audio questions earc / dts to PCM

tigertanaka

Novice Member
Reaction score
Yes, I will say it myself, I will probably sound like a nOOb, you can make fun of me if you want but help would still be very appreciated

I bought myself a LG BX that i wanted to connect to my Marantz 1711 reciever and all my sources to my reciever, so no arc or earc. Sadly enough i have horrible lip sync issues that I could only "fix" using earc. Sadly this creates another problem, i don't have dts passthrough on my LG BX. I did some testing and was wondering if a) do things look right b) do i have to make a big compromises on quality? dts to PCM

- Deadpool 2 blu-ray DTS-HD 7.1 on sony ubp x 700 --> Marantz display shows Multi In TV PCM DIG 44,5
so i guess it get a PCM 5.1 version instead of the DTS? I get surround and the channels are correct. Is the quality about the same as with the original DTS-HD? what does the 44,5 stand for?

- Lalaland dvd, DD 5.1 on sony ubp x 700 --> Marantz display shows : DD + DD sur TV DIG

- 13 hours UHD atmos --> Marantz display shows Dolby Atmos Tv 44,5

- Equalizer 2 blu-ray, dts-hd 7.1 on sont ubp x 700 --> Marantz display shows Multi In TV PCM DIG 44,5

- Law & Order dvd DD 2.0 on ps4 --> Marantz display shows stereo Tv PCM DIG 44,5
why do i get PCM here and not just dolby digital?

- file with DTS HD True Hd on Kodi via Shield tv pro--> Marantz display shows DD + D surround TV

file with DTS-HD MA 5.1 on Kodi via Shield tv pro --> Marantz display shows DD + D surround Tv

Is it worth it to try to have Kodi convert these DTS tracks to PCM 5.1 instead of DD / D surround?

- Extraction , ps4 netflix app, 5.1 --> Marantz display shows Multi in Tv PCM DIG 44,5

I guess here I get PCM instead of dolby digital because it's a downconvert from the atmos that the ps4 can not support?

- Extraction, LG App, Atmos --> Marantz display shows Atmos Tv DIG

thanks a million for your help / suggestions!

If the source device is set to decode the audio itselfit as opposed to bitstreaming the formatted audio to the AV receiver to decode then this willresult in multichannel PCM being output via the source. THis PCM data will contain the exact same data as you'd have gotten had the AV receiver decoded it. THe disadvantage is that the AV receiver will not indicate what the original source format was and PCM cannot convey Atmos or DTS:X metadata with it.

The only device you should avoid setting to PCM is the TV itself. THe TV would downmix multichannel sources and output them as just 2 channel PCM if the digital output setting were to be set to PCM. Set the TV to PASS THROUGH if wanting to convey audio exactly as it was via eARC.

Your TV should be able to passthrough DTS using eARC. It is later models that cannot handleDTS and not the 2019 models.

DTS is a format and not a mode. THe same is true of Dolby Digital and DD+.

Streaming services package Atmos with DD+. You'd get it in association with TRueHD on discs. Atmos is not packaged with DTS encoded formats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dante01, thanks for your reaction. it is very helpful!!

My tv is the BX, the 2020 model, so I can't handle DTS.

If i do understand you correctly i have to check on all my devices (ps4, uhd, xbox, kodi etc) that they are set to decode the audio itself and if that is the case or possible i won't have any quality loss with the signal that is sent via the tv to my reciever.

I do think that it's the case for my uhd player, since the dts shows up as pcm on my reciever. --> so this: "THe disadvantage is that the AV receiver will not indicate what the original source format was and PCM cannot convey Atmos or DTS:X metadata with it."

it's not visible as dts anymore but i see "multi channel pcm." on the display Atmos still displays as atmos on my display (even if my setup is 5.1)

Upvote 0
Do you have any idea if it's worth it to try to get the Kodi to play PCM instead of Dolby Digital? Any idea why a DD 2.0 stereo track on a dvd is indicated as PCM?

Upvote 0
On devices such as UHD Disc players or games consoles then you'd want the HDMI digital audio output setting to be set to PCM. THis will result in the device doing the decoding and output the result as multichannel PCM. Not that is wanting Atmos from most devices then you'd need to bitstream the audio or you'll lose the Atmos metadata. Atmos metadata is packaged with DD+ in association with streaming services and with Dolby TrueHD if sourced via discs.

There's no quality loss associated with using the source device to do the decoding as opposed top leaving it to the AV receiver to do the decoding. You may find this informative:

Of your AV says that it is receiving PCM then that iswhat either the TV or the player is outputting to it.

As said, Atmos metadata can be packahed with SD quality DD+ or HD quality TrueHD. Both have to be bitstreamed to the AV receiver in order for the AV receiver to get the associated metadata. The only exception to this woukld be with devices such as the AppleTV 4K, Windows PCs and XBoxes. THese devices all use something called Dolby MAT which enables them to convey the metadata along with multichannel PCM sourced by the plater decoding the DD+ or TrueJF=D element of the package in which the metadata was included. This is the only time you'd get Ay=tmos in association with multichannel PCM.

Streaming services package Atmos with SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus (DD+).

Upvote 0
Do you have any idea if it's worth it to try to get the Kodi to play PCM instead of Dolby Digital? Any idea why a DD 2.0 stereo track on a dvd is indicated as PCM?

No expert onn configuring one, but I'd suggest you leave it bitstreaming Dolby formats in order to access Atmos if and when available.

Maybe connect external sources directly to the AVR as opposed to passing their signals through your TV?

If you were to connect a UHD player directly to the AVR then that too should be configured to bitstream the audio. THe on;y exception to this are games consoles which you can configure to bitstream film disc, but shouldn't ideally bitstream games content.

Upvote 0
No expert onn configuring one, but I'd suggest you leave it bitstreaming Dolby formats in order to access Atmos if and when available.

Maybe connect external sources directly to the AVR as opposed to passing their signals through your TV?

If you were to connect a UHD player directly to the AVR then that too should be configured to bitstream the audio. THe on;y exception to this are games consoles which you can configure to bitstream film disc, but shouldn't ideally bitstream games content.
connecting directly is sadly not an option with the lip synch issues, that is the reason i have to pass the signal through my tv

Upvote 0
connecting directly is sadly not an option with the lip synch issues, that is the reason i have to pass the signal through my tv
I have an Arcam stereo amp that I use with Optical input, for watching Netflix, Prime Video from a 4K Firestick, Firestick connected to HDMI eArc on my tv.
TV settings to PCM
Firestick sound settings set to Best Quality, so gives me a ticked 5.1 feed from Netflix and shows up as a Dolby Digital plus feed from Prime Video on the tv.
Stereo shows PCM 48Khz, that sounds Pretty Great, Dialogue is so much more Louder now, compared to only being able to get 2ch feed from my tvs Netflix app
I toe in my Floorstanding speakers slightly towards my ears but I never seem to get Lip Sync issues at all

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tigertanaka
Doesnt your tv have Lip Sync settings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom