Ng727

Hi everyone,
I recently picked up a marantz 1122dc amplifier but found it to be running rather hot after around 30 - 45 minutes of use today.
I'm not sure what the issue may be since I've read online that they shouldn't be too hot. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

My initial thought was whether my speakers were inefficient and causing the amp to work harder but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance !

gibbsy

Like every old amp it may just not be running at it's optimum performance. Perhaps it needs new caps and a damn good clean and then it will run perfectly for many more years. Power wise it has a stated 60 watts into 8 ohms but you don't mention what speakers it is driving.

Ng727

Like every old amp it may just not be running at it's optimum performance. Perhaps it needs new caps and a damn good clean and then it will run perfectly for many more years. Power wise it has a stated 60 watts into 8 ohms but you don't mention what speakers it is driving.
My apologies. It's driving celestion ditton 11's which are rated for continuous sine wave of 120 watts and an impedence of 4-8 ohms

gibbsy

The Ditton's nominal is 8 ohm with 89dB sensitivity and certainly shouldn't cause issues with the Marantz. I suspect that the heat issue could be down to dust build up within the unit. Certainly worth taking the top off and having a look. If the caps are gone, or going, then they will be somewhat distorted in shape. Don't know if you can find a service manual on line for the Marantz.

wine man

Wot Gibbsy said. I was once given an old Teac amp to fix that had got too hot and blown the internal fuse. There was enough dust inside to fill a pillow case!

Ng727

Thanks for the advice guys. I think there definitely is something wrong as I was running it today for about 30 minutes Max and a weird smell was coming from it, almost like a burning one but not quite as intense. Definitely calls for a deeper look !

gibbsy

Thanks for the advice guys. I think there definitely is something wrong as I was running it today for about 30 minutes Max and a weird smell was coming from it, almost like a burning one but not quite as intense. Definitely calls for a deeper look !
That could very well be dust heating up. Certainly needs checking out. Find a good repairer and ask for an estimate.

Ng727

That could very well be dust heating up. Certainly needs checking out. Find a good repairer and ask for an estimate.
I hope it is only dust. It's sort of emitting a bad electrical smell (the best way I can describe it), so hopefully it isn't any caps or something more serious.

gibbsy

With the smell I would certainly not turn it on again and have it looked at by a repairer.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom